Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Survey Results on how much JMT hikers are spending per day on food.pdf (marti124@gmail.com)

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
      Don't be embarrassed to give your monetary answer.  I bet I'm going to be at the high end by the time I understand my costs fully this year.  I'm packing for two people, one who wants to pay the full pro-rated costs so I have to understand the costs this year.

      I go with a lot of organic, very nutritious food, home-made recipies, using packitgourment.com, tankabar.com, energyfirst.com, larabar.com, vitalchoice.com stuff plus stuff I get a the local healthfood coop store.
      _

      On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 12:53 PM, marciecommins <marciecommins@...> wrote:

      I was at the higher end due partly to laziness and partly because I don't consider scrimping on food to be an option. Backpacking is hard enough for me.

      Here is my typical day
      Breakfast - Nature's Path oatmeal with Just Blueberries (freeze dried blueberries), (brown sugar for my husband), tea
      Snack - 1.5 oz Oberto turkey jerky (it is pretty expensive - I'm experimenting with making my own). Good quality dark chocolate (Valrhona is my favorite). About 1/3 bar more or less depending on how tough the day is.
      Lunch - Odwalla or Probar, 2 oz nuts
      Dinner - freeze dried dinner and freeze dried veggies, Mojito (Everclear, lots of water and Mojito rimming sugar).
      Marcie

      > Thanks, Lynette and John. To the others who responded on the survey (about
      > 48 from this group), please use this thread to indicate a typical day's
      > food to back up your average cost amount. Thanks! This is very
      > interesting.
      > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
      > _

    • John
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
        Mojitos for on-trail desert Marcie !?!?!  Niiiiiiiice...

        John M.

        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
          Can you buy Everclear in CA?  Is it sold in Yosemite Valley or Mammoth Lakes?
          _
        • marciecommins
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
            Yes you can buy it in CA. I get it in the Bay Area at Beverages and More. Never tried to get it anywhere else.
            Marcie

            > Can you buy Everclear in CA? Is it sold in Yosemite Valley or Mammoth
            > Lakes?
            > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
            > _

          • marciecommins
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
              Purely medicinal of course! But it does go a long way toward easing those aches.
              Marcie

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John <jmaddog1082@...> wrote:

              > Mojitos for on-trail desert Marcie !?!?! Niiiiiiiice...
              >
              > John M.
              >
              > On Jun 17, 2013, at 9:53 AM, "marciecommins" <marciecommins@...> wrote:
              >
              > > I was at the higher end due partly to laziness and partly because I don't consider scrimping on food to be an option. Backpacking is hard enough for me.
              > > Here is my typical day
              > > Breakfast - Nature's Path oatmeal with Just Blueberries (freeze dried blueberries), (brown sugar for my husband), tea
              > > Snack - 1.5 oz Oberto turkey jerky (it is pretty expensive - I'm experimenting with making my own). Good quality dark chocolate (Valrhona is my favorite). About 1/3 bar more or less depending on how tough the day is.
              > > Lunch - Odwalla or Probar, 2 oz nuts
              > > Dinner - freeze dried dinner and freeze dried veggies, Mojito (Everclear, lots of water and Mojito rimming sugar).
              > > Marcie
              > >
              > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Thanks, Lynette and John. To the others who responded on the survey (about
              > > > 48 from this group), please use this thread to indicate a typical day's
              > > > food to back up your average cost amount. Thanks! This is very
              > > > interesting.
              > > > Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research
              > > > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
              > > > _

            • marciecommins
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                Thanks for the links. I'm always on the lookout for nutritious and (relatively) tasty trail food.

                > Don't be embarrassed to give your monetary answer. I bet I'm going to be
                > at the high end by the time I understand my costs fully this year. I'm
                > packing for two people, one who wants to pay the full pro-rated costs so I
                > have to understand the costs this year.
                >
                > I go with a lot of organic, very nutritious food, home-made recipies, using
                > packitgourment.com, tankabar.com, energyfirst.com, larabar.com,
                > vitalchoice.com stuff plus stuff I get a the local healthfood coop store.
                > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
                > _
                >

                > On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 12:53 PM, marciecommins <marciecommins@...>wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > I was at the higher end due partly to laziness and partly because I don't
                > > consider scrimping on food to be an option. Backpacking is hard enough for
                > > me.
                > >
                > > Here is my typical day
                > > Breakfast - Nature's Path oatmeal with Just Blueberries (freeze dried
                > > blueberries), (brown sugar for my husband), tea
                > > Snack - 1.5 oz Oberto turkey jerky (it is pretty expensive - I'm
                > > experimenting with making my own). Good quality dark chocolate (Valrhona is
                > > my favorite). About 1/3 bar more or less depending on how tough the day is.
                > > Lunch - Odwalla or Probar, 2 oz nuts
                > > Dinner - freeze dried dinner and freeze dried veggies, Mojito (Everclear,
                > > lots of water and Mojito rimming sugar).
                > > Marcie
                > >

                > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Thanks, Lynette and John. To the others who responded on the survey
                > > (about
                > > > 48 from this group), please use this thread to indicate a typical day's
                > > > food to back up your average cost amount. Thanks! This is very
                > > > interesting.
                > > > Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research
                > > > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
                > > > _

              • ravi_jmt2013
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                  I did not respond to the survey since I haven't hiked the JMT in recent years. However, I do keep records of my spending on and have found that I have been averaging between $7-8/day for trail food over ten days of backpacking so far this year. And included in food costs are things like ziplock bags and food containers.

                  But my meals are very basic right now. The highest cost item are various nuts that go into my trail mix. I expect my average cost to go up to between $10-12/day as I add better quality food and some of that very expensive aged hard cheese to the mix.

                  I find myself constantly hungry on the trail even on day one. I have been packing about 3,300 calories per day weighing around 28 ounces (117 calories/ounce). I don't want to increase my food weight but want to get up to around 4,000 calories/day. If that means higher calorie density foods or more expensive foods then so be it ... food costs are really a tiny portion of the cost of the trip.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                    Wow, how many calories a day / mile do you think you want to bring along?  John's rule of thumb based upon his research is 250 calories -- but with super high mileage days, the number may drop.

                    I get by with under 2500 calories a day (at that rate, I don't gain/lose any weight) but could do the hike with GE 2100 calories a day easily (was the case for about 10 years).
                    _

                    On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM, ravi_jmt2013 <ravi@...> wrote:

                    I did not respond to the survey since I haven't hiked the JMT in recent years. However, I do keep records of my spending on and have found that I have been averaging between $7-8/day for trail food over ten days of backpacking so far this year. And included in food costs are things like ziplock bags and food containers.

                    But my meals are very basic right now. The highest cost item are various nuts that go into my trail mix. I expect my average cost to go up to between $10-12/day as I add better quality food and some of that very expensive aged hard cheese to the mix.

                    I find myself constantly hungry on the trail even on day one. I have been packing about 3,300 calories per day weighing around 28 ounces (117 calories/ounce). I don't want to increase my food weight but want to get up to around 4,000 calories/day. If that means higher calorie density foods or more expensive foods then so be it ... food costs are really a tiny portion of the cost of the trip.

                    > Thanks, Lynette and John. To the others who responded on the survey (about
                    > 48 from this group), please use this thread to indicate a typical day's
                    > food to back up your average cost amount. Thanks! This is very
                    > interesting.
                    > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
                    > _

                  • ravi_jmt2013
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013

                      > Wow, how many calories a day / mile do you think you want to bring along?
                      > John's rule of thumb based upon his research is 250 calories -- but with
                      > super high mileage days, the number may drop.

                      My average mileage will only be around 12-13 so I'm not going to do very high mileage days at all. The 250 calories/mile rule of thumb would imply that I need 3,000 calories but I find myself quite hungry even at 3,300 calories. This was particularly true on two consecutive 16 mile days on a hike this spring, although neither of those days involved large elevation gains.

                      I typically eat between 2,500-3,000 calories in normal day to day life averaging 30-35 miles/week of running. My weight has been relatively constant over the past year.

                      If I try for 4,000 calories/day with a 12 mpd average, that's 333 calories/mile. If I can get the caloric density to roughly 140 calories/ounce, I won't have to increase my food weight from the targeted 28 ounces/day. I'm experimenting with preparations heavy in olive oil but still palatable, so far with some success.

                      I'm very glad that I am following this group and experimenting prior to the JMT hike or I would have dramatically underestimated my food requirements.
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                        On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

                        Can you buy Everclear in CA?  Is it sold in Yosemite Valley or Mammoth Lakes?

                        My understanding is that the classic 190 proof Everclear is not legal in Califorrnia. I think I've seen it in Nevada. I haven't seen the 150 proof Everclear in California and probably wouldn't buy it anyway as there are 150 proof or near-150 liquors that I'd prefer. I don't see it listed at the website for BevMo but maybe it is in the physical stores and I haven't looked, so I suspect Marcie is right but is referring to the 150 proof version.

                        We got to calling Everclear "dehydrated margaritas" on one trip but that was trail humor.
                      • marciecommins
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                          Yep, you are right. I had to check but it is 151 proof. Too bad 190 proof isn't available - that much less weight to carry. I'm not familiar with other near 150 proof liquors since I'm pretty strictly a wine drinker other than on the trail.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                            On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM, marciecommins <marciecommins@...> wrote:

                            Yep, you are right. I had to check but it is 151 proof. Too bad 190 proof isn't available - that much less weight to carry. I'm not familiar with other near 150 proof liquors since I'm pretty strictly a wine drinker other than on the trail.

                            I think 151 proof rum may be the highest proof we can buy here in CA.

                            Not that I ever indulge on the trail