JMT (Part 1) trip report and photos, July 2008

  • akunkle99
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 10, 2008
      Hello everyone,

      I thru-hiked the JMT for the first time this summer. My friend Bob
      joined me, and my wife accompanied us for the first 6 days. I'm
      finally getting some of my trip reports and photos posted from the
      trip. We spent the first week of our trip exploring San Francisco,
      touring the coast, and visiting Yosemite. The trip reports for all
      of this begin here:

      http://www.angelfire.com/trek/fungi/California/San_Francisco.html

      If you aren't interested in the introductory stuff, you can take a
      short cut to the beginning of our hike on the JMT here:

      http://www.angelfire.com/trek/fungi/California/JMT_1.html

      Photos can be viewed at:

      http://tinyurl.com/6gn5j9

      Finally, everything can be accessed from our California page at:

      http://www.angelfire.com/trek/fungi/California/California.html

      Part 2 (Tuolumne Meadows to Reds Meadow) is coming soon!

      Andy
    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 11, 2008
        Thanks so much Andy. What month were you hiking - you no doubt said but I
        missed it - thanks, Barbara

        _____

        http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/6gn5j9> com/6gn5j9

        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 11, 2008
          Thanks Barbara. We started on July 4th.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"
          <barbara@...> wrote:

          > Thanks so much Andy. What month were you hiking - you no doubt
          said but I
          > missed it - thanks, Barbara
          >

          > _____

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 11, 2008
            Oh dear, bad mozzies then huh - but I guess it varies year to year.

            _____

            > Thanks so much Andy. What month were you hiking - you no doubt
            said but I
            > missed it - thanks, Barbara
            >

            > _____
            >
            > From: johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
            yahoogroups.com
            > I thru-hiked the JMT for the first time this summer. My friend Bob
            > joined me, and my wife accompanied us for the first 6 days. I'm
            > finally getting some of my trip reports and photos posted from the
            > trip. We spent the first week of our trip exploring San Francisco,
            > touring the coast, and visiting Yosemite. The trip reports for all
            > of this begin here:
            >
            > http://www.angelfir
            > <http://www.angelfir
            <http://www.angelfire.com/trek/fungi/California/San_Francisco.html>
            e.com/trek/fungi/California/San_Francisco.html>
            > e.com/trek/fungi/California/San_Francisco.html
            >
            > If you aren't interested in the introductory stuff, you can take a
            > short cut to the beginning of our hike on the JMT here:
            >
            > http://www.angelfir
            > <http://www.angelfir
            <http://www.angelfire.com/trek/fungi/California/JMT_1.html>
            e.com/trek/fungi/California/JMT_1.html>
            > e.com/trek/fungi/California/JMT_1.html
            >
            > Photos can be viewed at:
            >
            > http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/6gn5j9> com/6gn5j9>
            com/6gn5j9

            > Finally, everything can be accessed from our California page at:
            >
            > http://www.angelfir
            > <http://www.angelfir
            <http://www.angelfire.com/trek/fungi/California/California.html>
            e.com/trek/fungi/California/California.html>
            > e.com/trek/fungi/California/California.html
            >
            > Part 2 (Tuolumne Meadows to Reds Meadow) is coming soon!
            >
            > Andy

          • Steve Schauer
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 11, 2008
              No wonder you were attacked by mosquitos!

              > > Thanks so much Andy. What month were you hiking - you
              > no doubt
              > said but I
              > > missed it - thanks, Barbara
              > >

              > > _____

            • akunkle99
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 12, 2008
                Yeah, we were kind of asking for it. Unfortunately, other factors
                forced us to start when we did. On the upside, the flowers were
                fantastic, and the bugs became less of a nuisance as the trip
                progressed.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Steve Schauer <clairehiker@...>
                wrote:

                > No wonder you were attacked by mosquitos!

              • Bill Plesha
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 12, 2008
                  Andy,

                  I too am planning to do the JMT next August (you definitely convinced me that I don't want to be out there in July:)

                  It will be my first trip and I am REALLY looking forward to it. At 62 I figure this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me.

                  Your part 1 report was very interesting and I'm looking forward to the subsequent parts!

                  I'd be very interested in talking with you about the permitting process you went through and who you had to contact (I've picked up a lot of information from emails on this website, but it's always nice to speak with someone who has gone through it already).

                  If you would be willing to give me a call it would be appreciated.

                  You can email me at my email address - backpackerman@....

                  By the way, I'm located in Arizona.

                  Thanks,

                  Bill Plesha

                  wrote:

                  > No wonder you were attacked by mosquitos!

                • akunkle99
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 12, 2008
                    Thanks Bill, I just sent you an email.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Plesha"
                    <backpackerman@...> wrote:

                    > Andy,
                    >
                    > I too am planning to do the JMT next August (you definitely
                    convinced me that I don't want to be out there in July:)

                    > It will be my first trip and I am REALLY looking forward to it. At
                    62 I figure this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me.

                    > Your part 1 report was very interesting and I'm looking forward to
                    the subsequent parts!

                    > I'd be very interested in talking with you about the permitting
                    process you went through and who you had to contact (I've picked up a
                    lot of information from emails on this website, but it's always nice
                    to speak with someone who has gone through it already).

                    > If you would be willing to give me a call it would be appreciated.
                    >
                    > You can email me at my email address - backpackerman@...
                    >
                    > By the way, I'm located in Arizona.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Bill Plesha

                  • The Cisco Kid
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 12, 2008
                      doing JMT from Twolumne Meadow to red meadow in Aug 2009....about 36 miles??

                      RichardC"I'm in the Mountains, not over the Hill".

                      You can email me at my email address - backpackerman@ cox.net.

                      wrote:

                      > No wonder you were attacked by mosquitos!

                      > --- On Thu, 12/11/08, akunkle99 <no_reply@yahoogroup s.com> wrote:

                      > > From: akunkle99 <no_reply@yahoogroup s.com>

                      > > Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] JMT (Part 1) trip report and

                      photos, July 2008

                      > > To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

                      > > Date: Thursday, December 11, 2008, 6:31 PM

                      > > Thanks Barbara. We started on July 4th.

                      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com, "Barbara

                      > > Karagosian"

                      > > <barbara@> wrote:

                      > > > Thanks so much Andy. What month were you hiking - you

                      > > no doubt

                      > > said but I

                      > > > missed it - thanks, Barbara

                      > > > _____

                      > > > From: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

                    • Robert W. Freed
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 12, 2008
                        Probable the easiest part of the JMT. Spend the night at the walk in hiker camp at Tuolumne Meadows. Next morning several miles of gentle hiking along the Lylle Fork of the Tuolumne River. Then a mild stepped climb up to Donohoe Pass. It's all down hill from there. But the mosquitoes can be brutal all the way to Thousand Islands Lake. And the bears at Red's Meadow... well... nightly raids are common. Then catch the bus into Mammoth. Then another back to your car at Tuolumne. Ahhh... brings back memories.

                        Robert

                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 12, 2008
                          this will be my first sectional hike ever....looking forward  for a great experience...will also are going to do...Red Meadow to Mt Whiteny portal.....later in the month...thanks for the info.....

                          From: The Cisco Kid <dandyric@yahoo. com>

                          To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com

                          Date: Friday, December 12, 2008, 5:13 PM

                          . _,_._,___

                          doing JMT from Twolumne Meadow to red meadow in Aug 2009....about 36 miles??

                        • John Karpinski
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
                            Then a mild stepped climb up to Donohoe Pass.

                            I agree that overall, the TM to Reds section is mellow compared to the "pass-a-day"
                            sections south of VVR. But Donohue Pass is a 2000' ascent. If your legs and lungs are not
                            in shape after coming out of the Valley, they will be when you reach the top of Donohue.
                            Your reward is the stellar views looking down the Lyell Canyon.

                            Enjoy,
                            John Karpinski, JMT, class of 2008

                          • thomas taylor
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
                              Anyone considering a winter ascent of the JMT?

                              Thomas

                            • zmortalcityz
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
                                I completely agree with that sentiment John. I went over Donahue
                                twice this summer. The first time I was actually pretty violently
                                ill, puking from just over the serious stream crossing to the top.
                                Over and over. While maybe not entirely because the altitude, i'm
                                sure it was a significant factor. We left the Valley late on day 1.
                                By the end of day 2 we were asleep at Tuolumne, and by the end of day
                                3 were over Donahue. Like you said, the second half of the trip was a
                                pass (or two) a day. Lyell canyon is the easiest bit of the entire
                                200+ miles and Donahue is one of the mellowest passes. Donahue is
                                right at the start, before you've become fully acclimated (if you ever
                                do, depending on how fast you do the trail) which made it pretty
                                difficult for me the first time.

                                I actually slept right on the side of Forester well above timberline
                                behind a little rock wall just big enough to sleep in. What are those
                                called? It was bitter cold. I had just woken up and hadn't even
                                prepared breakfast and I saw 2 women hike by on the trail. I saw them
                                at the top of the pass maybe 3 hours later. It was a beautiful day
                                with great weather (which was a first) and I just charged right up
                                Forester. It was so ridiculously easy to the point that I really
                                found it hilarious. Usually i'll do lunch on the passes or something.
                                I even took a nap all afternoon in a little grassy patch on the
                                barren north side of muir pass, wow was that nice or what. It really
                                goes to show you how much the acclimatization does for you. The
                                couple thousand foot descent up Whitney was actually kind of
                                disappointing. I mean the switchbacks were boring enough but the
                                challenge just wasn't there.

                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John Karpinski" <jckarpin@...>

                              • jmaddog1082@charter.net
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
                                  This was the exact section trip I had planned for last August, but failed not only to succesfully reserve a permit in advance, but was also unsuccessful in getting a "day of" entry by going to the TM station. In addition to the ridiculously low trail quota for TM departure, it appeared that applying for the permit a few months in advance was just too slow.

                                  We had a back-up plan and ended up doing the Agnew Meadow Loop through Clark, 1000 Is., Garnett, and Shadow Lakes, but I'm sure the TM to RM section would have been a better overall experieince.

                                  Any suggestions for future attempts from JMT vets who manage to successfully secure permits? I've even considered the reverse direction from RM to TM, but it's not ideal.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
                                    Both times we have gotten walk in permits in the Valley. The first
                                    time the soonest permit we could get was two days later. The next
                                    time I was first in line in the Valley. I couldn't get a permit to
                                    leave until the dext day but it turned out there was a spot to leave
                                    out of Tuolumne. So I ended up leaving out of Tuolumne the same
                                    morning! Just arrive really really early to the permit office and you
                                    should have no problems getting a permit for the next day or day
                                    after. Everytime we've hiked out of the valley in general, we've
                                    arrived really late the night before (well, early morning) and then
                                    just waited outside the permit office. Other people might start
                                    showing up around 6am if I recall correctly. I really like the
                                    Vogelsang area out of Tuolumne, you can make a huge loop from the
                                    Valley thru Vogelsand and Lyell Canyon. Worth looking into. Theres
                                    so many places I want to check out in more detail that I passed up on
                                    the JMT. I remember one lady made kindof a smart ass comment that
                                    still sticks in my head. I was doing some pretty big days at the end
                                    (relatively speaking), was going to be finishing in 5-6 days from that
                                    point and I think she was taking like 2+ weeks for the Whitney half.
                                    Something about slow down so I can enjoy the scenery. Well I am
                                    enjoying it! And now I know the gems to come back for! Who says you
                                    can't enjoy the challenge of it, its not like you miss out if you
                                    aren't doing 5 mile days.

                                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <jmaddog1082@...> wrote:

                                    > This was the exact section trip I had planned for last August, but
                                    failed not only to succesfully reserve a permit in advance, but was
                                    also unsuccessful in getting a "day of" entry by going to the TM
                                    station. In addition to the ridiculously low trail quota for TM
                                    departure, it appeared that applying for the permit a few months in
                                    advance was just too slow.

                                    > We had a back-up plan and ended up doing the Agnew Meadow Loop
                                    through Clark, 1000 Is., Garnett, and Shadow Lakes, but I'm sure the
                                    TM to RM section would have been a better overall experieince.

                                    > Any suggestions for future attempts from JMT vets who manage to
                                    successfully secure permits? I've even considered the reverse
                                    direction from RM to TM, but it's not ideal.

                                    > ---- "Robert W. Freed" <robert@...> wrote:
                                    > > Probable the easiest part of the JMT. Spend the night at the walk
                                    in hiker camp at Tuolumne Meadows. Next morning several miles of
                                    gentle hiking along the Lylle Fork of the Tuolumne River. Then a mild
                                    stepped climb up to Donohoe Pass. It's all down hill from there. But
                                    the mosquitoes can be brutal all the way to Thousand Islands Lake. And
                                    the bears at Red's Meadow... well... nightly raids are common. Then
                                    catch the bus into Mammoth. Then another back to your car at Tuolumne.
                                    Ahhh... brings back memories.

                                    > > Robert

                                  • robert shattuck
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
                                      Am I just lucky? I've done the JMT a number of times now, since 1996 and NEVER ever, have I applied months in advance or waited in the dark chill of the morning for the office to open (only to be told I'd have to wait until the next day) I've always arrived in the valley via AMTRAK at about 1:30 p.m., walked into the office and got a permit, usually to leave the next day. The one time I did get a permit to leave that very day, I got a ride in and got the permit at the park entrance��by the time I got to the valley floor, I went in and got it changed to leave the next day.It's a good idea to abide by the permit��but if you get there and they say, YOU MUST LEAVE today, and you don't want to��don't. just go about your business and get a spot in the backpackers campground (or wherever ) then leave bright and early next morning. You can always say, if asked, that you got sick, you had to wait for a third party��or you twisted an ankle . . . There are always rangers lurking about at the falls or most certainly at little yosemite. if you show up a day late on your permit, well, you can get away with that, but if you show up a day EARLY, that's a no-no. it's easy to say you got detained by whatever excuse you can forge, but to get out on the trail a day early��that's asking for little miss nazi-rangerette at Little Yosemite to ticket you and give you a long spiel, all ther while, her hand lingers, ready to draw on you with her park issued 9mm . . . . damn you for coming in early!!!sparklefart.blogspot.comhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.comCC: robert@...: jmaddog1082@...: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 10:03:07 -0800Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Twolumne Meadow to red meadow

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 13, 2008
                                        it's not really an "ascent" but I've always wanted to do it, either AT, or snowshoes. let's make a spring plan!sparklefart.blogspot.comhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.comFrom: tgtaylor7@...: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:22:27 -0800Subject: [John Muir Trail] Winter Ascent of the JMT

                                        Anyone considering a winter ascent of the JMT?

                                        Thomas

                                      • Kevin Aston
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 20, 2008
                                          I don't do it on line I call the office and then you can see what your options are. I never missed getting my target date though, but I get my permits 4 months in advance.
                                          Kevin Aston

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 20, 2008
                                            Yeah, there were a few. Fortunately, Sunrise was the worst place on
                                            the whole trip. Bug conditions gradually improved after that (and we
                                            started putting significant effort into finding campsites that were
                                            less buggy).