Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Pack weight question.

    Message 1 of 59 , Jun 17 8:48 AM
      On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 7:32 AM, ravi_jmt2013 <ravi@...> wrote:

      This is one of the reasons that I like the ULA shoulder strap loops. I use 700ml Smartwater bottles on each strap.

      A square plastic lab bottle can be secured to the PALS webbing found on many packs (esp. the military or military-inspired ones) using a belt key hook and 10 mil Pipe Wrap or duct tape. The hook supports the weight and a rubber band keeps it from flopping. A 1-qt bottle shown below, though I've also done it with a 16 ounce one. The square bottles stay more stable than the round ones. Wide-mouth bottles (not shown) are nice, because they make it easy to add snow to produce some extra water each time you pass a snow field (assuming no red snow problem).

      I can wear these on one or both shoulder straps either at shoulder height or chest height.

      Inline image 1

      Inline image 2

      Inline image 3

      John Ladd
    • b2d099203e309ec68e85b9e81b55a7df
      Message 59 of 59 , Aug 30, 2016
        Should also specify that the Injinji socks I use are the heaviest weight ones they make.