Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Pack weight question.

    Message 1 of 51 , Jun 17, 2013
      On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 7:32 AM, ravi_jmt2013 <ravi@...> wrote:

      This is one of the reasons that I like the ULA shoulder strap loops. I use 700ml Smartwater bottles on each strap.

      A square plastic lab bottle can be secured to the PALS webbing found on many packs (esp. the military or military-inspired ones) using a belt key hook and 10 mil Pipe Wrap or duct tape. The hook supports the weight and a rubber band keeps it from flopping. A 1-qt bottle shown below, though I've also done it with a 16 ounce one. The square bottles stay more stable than the round ones. Wide-mouth bottles (not shown) are nice, because they make it easy to add snow to produce some extra water each time you pass a snow field (assuming no red snow problem).

      I can wear these on one or both shoulder straps either at shoulder height or chest height.

      Inline image 1

      Inline image 2

      Inline image 3

      John Ladd
    • krishna9012
      Message 51 of 51 , Jul 8, 2013
        Guru:
        Congrats! Can you give more details like food supply, how are the stream crossings, dry areas where you may have to carry more in your hydration pack etc. Also if you can give a link to your photos that would be very helpful.
        Thanks!
        Krishna