[John Muir Trail] Re: Pack weight question.

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 51 , Jun 17, 2013

      > If you carry a water bottle forward of what would otherwise be your center
      > of gravity, it may even improve the efficiently of your hike. Packweight
      > moves your COG rearward and the water weight can counteract this.

      This is one of the reasons that I like the ULA shoulder strap loops. I use 700ml Smartwater bottles on each strap. I haven't found that the presence of water on the front of the shoulder straps causes any noticeable strain on my shoulders. I much prefer this arrangement to keeping a water bladder inside my pack with the same amount of water although I know that many hikers really like using bladders since the water is more accessible. When I want to drink water, I must stop, balance my trekking poles somewhere, remove the bottle from the loop and replace it before I can move again. Bladder users can more easily drink water on the move. So there is that tradeoff...

      I have found that when I "tank up" too much, I feel bloated and sometimes get stomach issues. I seem to be better off stopping briefly every 15 minutes or so to drink 5-6 ounces of water (of course this varies depending on exertion level). The stop also usually coincides with a spot to take a couple of shots with my camera.
    • krishna9012
      Message 51 of 51 , Jul 8, 2013
        Guru:
        Congrats! Can you give more details like food supply, how are the stream crossings, dry areas where you may have to carry more in your hydration pack etc. Also if you can give a link to your photos that would be very helpful.
        Thanks!
        Krishna