Re: 2nd Skin vs Moleskin

  • brucelem12
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 16 2:05 PM
      +1 for duct tape. Some tp padding under it if needed for a blister. Cloth tape similarly successful, but less multi taskable and less slippery. Less luck w/ moleskin or band aids. No problems with it staying on full day. Brands do vary greatly though.
      Light vaseline rub on feet as preventative usually prevents blisters if I do it responsibly every morn, with mid day cleaning reapplication if walking through a lot of sand, (i.e. between Red's and Duck Creek), w/ trail runners and 1 thin pair poly socks.
      Best solution varies from person to person no doubt.
      Bruce

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "marketScience" <marketscience@...> wrote:

      > I was reluctant to adopt old school techniques but now fully subscribe to the duct tape method. I brought gorilla tape with me on JMT. When ever I had an issue I cut a big round piece and placed it on the hot spot. It was not uncomfortable and stayed in place very well.
      >
      > I've used second skin and liked it. Never used moleskin.
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl" <dabrahms@> wrote:
      > >
      > > My podiatrist recommends Spenco 2nd Skin over MoleskinMolefoam. What I think I heard him say is that Moleskin works to prevent blisters in hot spots, but once the blister has formed, 2nd Skin is better, because Moleskin is more likely to tear the skin when removed. I mentioned that Tincture of Benzoid was popular amongst users in the group and he said that this could also tear the skin. Clarificatin and comments are appreciated. Thanks.
      > >
      > > Darryl

    • John
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 16 2:28 PM
        A note on duct tape. I've used it with no problems, but some people (like my wife) are allergic to the glue. If you are, you can end up with a worse situation than the blister.

        John
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, brucelem12 <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > +1 for duct tape. Some tp padding under it if needed for a blister. Cloth tape similarly successful, but less multi taskable and less slippery. Less luck w/ moleskin or band aids. No problems with it staying on full day. Brands do vary greatly though.
        > Light vaseline rub on feet as preventative usually prevents blisters if I do it responsibly every morn, with mid day cleaning reapplication if walking through a lot of sand, (i.e. between Red's and Duck Creek), w/ trail runners and 1 thin pair poly socks.
        > Best solution varies from person to person no doubt.
        > Bruce
        >
        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "marketScience" <marketscience@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I was reluctant to adopt old school techniques but now fully subscribe to the duct tape method. I brought gorilla tape with me on JMT. When ever I had an issue I cut a big round piece and placed it on the hot spot. It was not uncomfortable and stayed in place very well.
        > >
        > > I've used second skin and liked it. Never used moleskin.
        > >
        > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl" <dabrahms@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > My podiatrist recommends Spenco 2nd Skin over MoleskinMolefoam. What I think I heard him say is that Moleskin works to prevent blisters in hot spots, but once the blister has formed, 2nd Skin is better, because Moleskin is more likely to tear the skin when removed. I mentioned that Tincture of Benzoid was popular amongst users in the group and he said that this could also tear the skin. Clarificatin and comments are appreciated. Thanks.
        > > >
        > > > Darryl

      • John
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 16 9:35 PM
          +2. I'm with you Bruce. In the mornings, I apply a light amount of Vaseline to the predictable hot zones on the feet. I used to use a "Glide" stick, but I found that Vaseline worked better and rarely required re-application. Just use a minimal amount so it doesn't gunk up your socks.

          Phase 2 is duct tape , but I've been there only once.

          YMMV,
          John