Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: FW: mileage

  • Robert W. Freed
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2008
      I found the Harrison JMT maps great for the trail. But if you are going off trail or side trails or just need to bail out. I found the Harrison JMT map to be out of date in some areas, off on elevations by thousands of feet in other areas or just plain wrong in some cases. Again for the trail itself, probably the best out there. I found that each page was just about a days hike and mileage and trail junctions clearly marked.

      Robert

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8, 2008
        These maps are a bit better... Higher quality and significantly more
        detail for off-trail travel. I like how little info snippets are
        included as well. Seems like there are more names shown for side
        trails and lakes, etc as they are not explicitly JMT maps. I have no
        idea about accuracy - I did not bring GPS, but I never got lost once
        and got out alive if that counts.

        http://www.onthetrail.org/Outdoors/ODC/jmtmaps.html
      • Robert W. Freed
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 8, 2008
          Yep, I agree. Wish I would have had these maps the first time through. It would have saved me a tough couple of days.

          Thanks, Robert

          These maps are a bit better... Higher quality and significantly more
          detail for off-trail travel. I like how little info snippets are
          included as well. Seems like there are more names shown for side
          trails and lakes, etc as they are not explicitly JMT maps. I have no
          idea about accuracy - I did not bring GPS, but I never got lost once
          and got out alive if that counts.

          http://www.onthetra il.org/Outdoors/ ODC/jmtmaps. html

          .

        • Barbara Karagosian
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 8, 2008
            Thanks for the feedback. I have the Harrison maps, they seem great. Forget
            the pedometer - useless. I already have a GPS Garmin Legend so will bring it
            - it has an altimeter, & I use it to mark campsites or put sites in that I
            might use. Turn it on maybe twice a day - maybe I'll rethink that 7ozs - it
            might be better used elsewhere. Will check out the other maps too. Can't
            wait, not going til mid July - pathetic, but I LOVE to plan.Barbara

            _____

[...]

            --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
            yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"
            <barbara@...> wrote:

            > Hi there, How do you all measure mileage hiked each day? I've found
            > pedometers to be quite inaccurate, and don't want to leave my GPS on
            all the
            > time cos of battery drainage. Do you estimate it based on maps and
            > elevation? Thanks so much - Barbara

          • Steve Schauer
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 8, 2008
              It counts! There are a few confusing trail signs, but a GPS wouldn't help that.
              Claire

              > These maps are a bit better... Higher quality and
              > significantly more
              > detail for off-trail travel. I like how little info
              > snippets are
              > included as well. Seems like there are more names shown
              > for side
              > trails and lakes, etc as they are not explicitly JMT maps.
              > I have no
              > idea about accuracy - I did not bring GPS, but I never got
              > lost once
              > and got out alive if that counts.
              >
              > http://www.onthetrail.org/Outdoors/ODC/jmtmaps.html
            • robert shattuck