Re: FW: mileage

  • zmortalcityz
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 8, 2008
      Maps. Get the Harrison JMT map set and you will be all set. Mileage
      is marked very conveniently between trail junctions. Could be
      anywhere from 0.3 miles to 10 miles between junctions. Keep track of
      your pace on different terrains and time since the last junction and
      you should know exactly where you are. Landmarks and a compass help,
      but to be honest I might have used the compass only once or twice, I
      don't really remember. Landmarks were always sufficient for me, even
      when off trail.

      There are other map sets... I also brought a much more detailed
      National Geographic set that had some extra info on interesting stops
      along the trail but wasn't really useful as far as navigating the
      trail. Harder to read and didn't have nice mileage shown between
      junctions.

      I've never had the desire to use GPS on the trail, but i'm kind of
      like that everywhere. JMT is EXTREMELY well marked. The only
      confusing bit I can remember was right by the Muir Trail Ranch. Plus,
      with a trail like that its not practical to leave it on all day, so it
      takes a few minutes to get an accurate fix after powering up - my
      experience anyways. I don't really like sitting around on the side of
      the trail fidgeting with it till its hot. If you are planning
      extensive off-trail travel and have difficulty reading a
      map/compass/landmarks then bring a GPS (and get familiar with it and
      the maps). Pedometers are worthless for this sort of thing IMHO so
      leave it at home. Watch is sometimes nice. I've got a solar charger
      with a USB cable to charge up my Magellan Crossover - its made by
      Solio but there are some inexpensive ones as well if you go that route.

      I'm not really sure how elevation helps, but there are 10,000ft signs.
      Are you bringing an altimeter? (you probably won't use it) Just
      look for where the 10,000 ft contour intersects with the trail.

      So basically, just get the Harrison maps.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"
      <barbara@...> wrote:

      > Hi there, How do you all measure mileage hiked each day? I've found
      > pedometers to be quite inaccurate, and don't want to leave my GPS on
      all the
      > time cos of battery drainage. Do you estimate it based on maps and
      > elevation? Thanks so much - Barbara

    • Robert W. Freed
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8, 2008
        I found the Harrison JMT maps great for the trail. But if you are going off trail or side trails or just need to bail out. I found the Harrison JMT map to be out of date in some areas, off on elevations by thousands of feet in other areas or just plain wrong in some cases. Again for the trail itself, probably the best out there. I found that each page was just about a days hike and mileage and trail junctions clearly marked.

        Robert

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 8, 2008
          These maps are a bit better... Higher quality and significantly more
          detail for off-trail travel. I like how little info snippets are
          included as well. Seems like there are more names shown for side
          trails and lakes, etc as they are not explicitly JMT maps. I have no
          idea about accuracy - I did not bring GPS, but I never got lost once
          and got out alive if that counts.

          http://www.onthetrail.org/Outdoors/ODC/jmtmaps.html
        • Robert W. Freed
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 8, 2008
            Yep, I agree. Wish I would have had these maps the first time through. It would have saved me a tough couple of days.

            Thanks, Robert

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 8, 2008
              Thanks for the feedback. I have the Harrison maps, they seem great. Forget
              the pedometer - useless. I already have a GPS Garmin Legend so will bring it
              - it has an altimeter, & I use it to mark campsites or put sites in that I
              might use. Turn it on maybe twice a day - maybe I'll rethink that 7ozs - it
              might be better used elsewhere. Will check out the other maps too. Can't
              wait, not going til mid July - pathetic, but I LOVE to plan.Barbara

              _____

              --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
              <barbara@...> wrote:

              > Hi there, How do you all measure mileage hiked each day? I've found
              > pedometers to be quite inaccurate, and don't want to leave my GPS on
              all the
              > time cos of battery drainage. Do you estimate it based on maps and
              > elevation? Thanks so much - Barbara

            • Steve Schauer
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 8, 2008
                It counts! There are a few confusing trail signs, but a GPS wouldn't help that.
                Claire

                > These maps are a bit better... Higher quality and
                > significantly more
                > detail for off-trail travel. I like how little info
                > snippets are
                > included as well. Seems like there are more names shown
                > for side
                > trails and lakes, etc as they are not explicitly JMT maps.
                > I have no
                > idea about accuracy - I did not bring GPS, but I never got
                > lost once
                > and got out alive if that counts.
                >
                > http://www.onthetrail.org/Outdoors/ODC/jmtmaps.html
              • robert shattuck