Re: Pack weight question.

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 51 , Jun 16, 2013
      My base weight should be around 15 1/2 pounds with total weight including food and water ranging from 23 pounds at the start, 25 pounds leaving Tuolumne, 27 pounds leaving Reds and 34 pounds leaving MTR. I have trained and am comfortable with these weighs with the exception of the 34 pounds leving MTR. I anticipate being somewhat slower and maybe not that comfortable for the first couple of days after MTR. This concern could be eliminated with a resupply at Onion Valley but I decided against it.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Adam Bearson <abearson@...> wrote:

      > So thankful for this group. I love reading these posts. You guys inspire me.
      >
      > I am training back from herniated discs and moderately arthritic reconstructed knees, and while sometimes I feel that the JMT is audacious folly, it is also a 20-year dream. We are planning for July 2014.
      >
      > The PCT thru-hikers that I speak with coming through Tahoe say they carry 25lbs or less, but the pack weights for the JMT described here call this a "base weight" with food and water on top, so I am confused about what is possible. I have read multiple posts--a popular topic--, and while most carry 45+ pounds, a few seem to carry a lot less. I am comfortable training up to carry 25lbs, but 40+ concerns me because if the back goes, well, that would end things. My wife and kids are coming, too, and I don't want to be a liability on the trail.
      >
      > I don't need a gear list (there are many good ones here), just your impressions of whether or not packing 25lbs is safe, practical and doable--or suggestions for alternatives if is not.
      >

      > Thank you for any insights that you have.
      >
      > Adam Bearson

    • krishna9012
      Message 51 of 51 , Jul 8, 2013
        Guru:
        Congrats! Can you give more details like food supply, how are the stream crossings, dry areas where you may have to carry more in your hydration pack etc. Also if you can give a link to your photos that would be very helpful.
        Thanks!
        Krishna