Re: Pack weight question.

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 59 , Jun 16, 2013
      My base weight should be around 15 1/2 pounds with total weight including food and water ranging from 23 pounds at the start, 25 pounds leaving Tuolumne, 27 pounds leaving Reds and 34 pounds leaving MTR. I have trained and am comfortable with these weighs with the exception of the 34 pounds leving MTR. I anticipate being somewhat slower and maybe not that comfortable for the first couple of days after MTR. This concern could be eliminated with a resupply at Onion Valley but I decided against it.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Adam Bearson <abearson@...> wrote:

      > So thankful for this group. I love reading these posts. You guys inspire me.
      >
      > I am training back from herniated discs and moderately arthritic reconstructed knees, and while sometimes I feel that the JMT is audacious folly, it is also a 20-year dream. We are planning for July 2014.
      >
      > The PCT thru-hikers that I speak with coming through Tahoe say they carry 25lbs or less, but the pack weights for the JMT described here call this a "base weight" with food and water on top, so I am confused about what is possible. I have read multiple posts--a popular topic--, and while most carry 45+ pounds, a few seem to carry a lot less. I am comfortable training up to carry 25lbs, but 40+ concerns me because if the back goes, well, that would end things. My wife and kids are coming, too, and I don't want to be a liability on the trail.
      >
      > I don't need a gear list (there are many good ones here), just your impressions of whether or not packing 25lbs is safe, practical and doable--or suggestions for alternatives if is not.
      >

      > Thank you for any insights that you have.
      >
      > Adam Bearson

    • b2d099203e309ec68e85b9e81b55a7df
      Message 59 of 59 , Aug 30, 2016
        Should also specify that the Injinji socks I use are the heaviest weight ones they make.