Re: Socks for trail runners vs. boots

  • judithsmcguire
    Message 1 of 51 , Jun 16, 2013
      I've thru-hiked the AT, JMT, and many other long distance trails in Salomon trail runners and double socks (Silk One REI socks (when real silk socks no longer available) and Ultimax (now Wigwam) medium wt. hiking socks). I did the AT with Goretex trail runners and never will go back to Goretex footwear. They didn't keep my feet dry, they were hot, and they took forever to dry out. The good thing about Goretex on the JMT, I would imagine, is that it might keep the dust out of your footwear. No blisters. But I really train for long distance hikes (especially to toughen up the feet).

      Judo (Judy McGuire)

      > Since the subject of trail runners vs. boots has come up again, I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks regarding how the choice of sock might depend on the type of footwear used on the trail.
      >
      > I have a few Smartwool PhD Outdoor Medium crew socks that I purchased several months ago when I planned to use heavy traditional Asolo hiking boots on the JMT and other hikes this year. Those socks seemed to work well with the boots. Over the past couple of months, I have been using trail runners (Cascadias) but I am using the same Smartwool PhD Outdoor Medium socks. They seem to perform well but are definitely on the warm side.
      >
      > The only blister I have had since switching to the trail runners was after a 32 mile two day backpacking trip and it was a relatively minor blister but I felt like it had the potential to get worse if I had hiked another day or two on that trip.
      >
      > Would it make sense to try out the Smartwool PhD outdoor light crew socks to see how these compare to the mediums? Or is the additional padding of the heavier socks something that is recommended given the relatively light level of padding in trail runners?

    • krishna9012
      Message 51 of 51 , Jul 8 8:44 PM
        Guru:
        Congrats! Can you give more details like food supply, how are the stream crossings, dry areas where you may have to carry more in your hydration pack etc. Also if you can give a link to your photos that would be very helpful.
        Thanks!
        Krishna