Socks for trail runners vs. boots

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 51 , Jun 15, 2013
      Since the subject of trail runners vs. boots has come up again, I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks regarding how the choice of sock might depend on the type of footwear used on the trail.

      I have a few Smartwool PhD Outdoor Medium crew socks that I purchased several months ago when I planned to use heavy traditional Asolo hiking boots on the JMT and other hikes this year. Those socks seemed to work well with the boots. Over the past couple of months, I have been using trail runners (Cascadias) but I am using the same Smartwool PhD Outdoor Medium socks. They seem to perform well but are definitely on the warm side.

      The only blister I have had since switching to the trail runners was after a 32 mile two day backpacking trip and it was a relatively minor blister but I felt like it had the potential to get worse if I had hiked another day or two on that trip.

      Would it make sense to try out the Smartwool PhD outdoor light crew socks to see how these compare to the mediums? Or is the additional padding of the heavier socks something that is recommended given the relatively light level of padding in trail runners?
    • krishna9012
      Message 51 of 51 , Jul 8, 2013
        Guru:
        Congrats! Can you give more details like food supply, how are the stream crossings, dry areas where you may have to carry more in your hydration pack etc. Also if you can give a link to your photos that would be very helpful.
        Thanks!
        Krishna