Socks for trail runners vs. boots

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 59 , Jun 15, 2013
      Since the subject of trail runners vs. boots has come up again, I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks regarding how the choice of sock might depend on the type of footwear used on the trail.

      I have a few Smartwool PhD Outdoor Medium crew socks that I purchased several months ago when I planned to use heavy traditional Asolo hiking boots on the JMT and other hikes this year. Those socks seemed to work well with the boots. Over the past couple of months, I have been using trail runners (Cascadias) but I am using the same Smartwool PhD Outdoor Medium socks. They seem to perform well but are definitely on the warm side.

      The only blister I have had since switching to the trail runners was after a 32 mile two day backpacking trip and it was a relatively minor blister but I felt like it had the potential to get worse if I had hiked another day or two on that trip.

      Would it make sense to try out the Smartwool PhD outdoor light crew socks to see how these compare to the mediums? Or is the additional padding of the heavier socks something that is recommended given the relatively light level of padding in trail runners?
    • b2d099203e309ec68e85b9e81b55a7df
      Message 59 of 59 , Aug 30, 2016
        Should also specify that the Injinji socks I use are the heaviest weight ones they make.