Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: To Joe MacLeish about the HSR

  • Dale Stuart
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 14, 2013
      Sean,
      Looks like I will be starting my SHR on 7/9 out of Onion valley.  Planning for at least to Grouse lake for 7/10.
      -Dale

      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 15, 2013
        Hi Dale,

        So your SHR trip is separate from Joe's group's trip?

        Looks like I will be starting my SHR on 7/9 out of Onion valley.  Planning for at least to Grouse lake for 7/10.
        -Dale
        Hi Sean, I am one of the guys meeting up with Joe to do a section of the SHR, ( Sierra High Route, for the acronymacally challenged ). I hope you will be able to join us! I did this section about 6 years ago, and it still ranks up there as one of my favorite hikes! I'm hoping to get more 'cowboy' camping in this year than I did on my JMT hike last year in August. Congrats on finishing the JMT! I was going to do it again this summer, but the low snow year, and the chance to meet some fellow JMT Yahoo-ers was too enticing! --- In mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com, "Sean" <isv007@...> wrote: > > Hey Joe, > > I just finished the JMT SOBO (May 26 - June 9) and I forgot what your timeframe was for your HSR trip. I am still willing to partner up for that, just let me know if you already have one though please, thanks. > > Sean >
      • Illya V.
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 15, 2013
          Thanks a lot Robert. Yes I am planning on joining you guys cause the route sounds like fun and I don't want to miss the opportunity to go at it the first time with experienced hikers. I shall see you out there!

          Hi Sean, I am one of the guys meeting up with Joe to do a section of the SHR, ( Sierra High Route, for the acronymacally challenged ). I hope you will be able to join us! I did this section about 6 years ago, and it still ranks up there as one of my favorite hikes! I'm hoping to get more 'cowboy' camping in this year than I did on my JMT hike last year in August. Congrats on finishing the JMT! I was going to do it again this summer, but the low snow year, and the chance to meet some fellow JMT Yahoo-ers was too enticing!

          --- In mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com, "Sean" <isv007@...> wrote:

          > Hey Joe,
          >
          > I just finished the JMT SOBO (May 26 - June 9) and I forgot what your timeframe was for your HSR trip. I am still willing to partner up for that, just let me know if you already have one though please, thanks.
          >
          > Sean

        • Dale Stuart
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 15, 2013
            Correct, their time frames didn't match what I had in mind.  I am coming in via Onion Valley hiking to Roads End.  Hiking the SHR to Bishop pass, going out to Parchers resort for resupply.  Then continuing the SHR and meeting up with a friend at Devils Post Pile (resupply).  The 2 of us will continue the Route into Yosemite but veer off towards Merced lake heading over to half dome and exiting out Tuolume.

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
              Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I have decided to meetup with Joe and Michael in Cedar Grove and meet another guy a day later at Grouse Lake. Four is a lot but I think it will be cool since no one in the group has completed it entirely and it has been a while for some when they did sections. I haven't been on any off-trail segment so I'm excited.

              Sean

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                Here is an excellent article by Zinsser on simplicity in writing:

                http://cgiss.boisestate.edu/~billc/Writing/zinsser.html

                Rod

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Wilderness" <wildvagabond@...> wrote:

                > JD, John, Joe, thanks for the replies. And, thanks for the support in writing well.
                > I actually had a (younger) person tell me how the language was "improved" with all the strange acronyms and tags used during texting. I relayed this to my lovely (Masters in English/ESL (English as a Second Language) teaching) wife, who said "expletive! these cretins are ruining the language and diminishing the quality of thought and writing," or something like this.
                > See William Zinsser, "On Writing Well"
                >
                > Rob of the WV (WildernessVagabond.com)
                > http://wildernessvagabond.com/
                >
                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Rob:
                > >
                > > The SHR is the Sierra High Route. The HST is the High Sierra Trail in the
                > > Sequoia area. You are of course right about predefining acronyms. The last
                > > email posted here was from a guy who knew the acronym specifically and sent
                > > to me specifically so I got a bit sloppy (even though I was also a bit
                > > verbose). By the by the reference to the HSR should have been to the HST
                > > which is why I spent the extra words on it.
                > >
                > > You want arcane go back through the posts here and look at the comments on
                > > cooking Kraft macaroni and cheese in a JetBoil .
                > >
                > > Joe

              • Robert
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                  What does this have to do with meeting up to do the SHR?

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "woodyrtt" <rod.tayler@...> wrote:

                  > Here is an excellent article by Zinsser on simplicity in writing:
                  >
                  > http://cgiss.boisestate.edu/~billc/Writing/zinsser.html
                  >
                  > Rod
                  >
                  > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Wilderness" <wildvagabond@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > JD, John, Joe, thanks for the replies. And, thanks for the support in writing well.
                  > > I actually had a (younger) person tell me how the language was "improved" with all the strange acronyms and tags used during texting. I relayed this to my lovely (Masters in English/ESL (English as a Second Language) teaching) wife, who said "expletive! these cretins are ruining the language and diminishing the quality of thought and writing," or something like this.
                  > > See William Zinsser, "On Writing Well"
                  > >
                  > > Rob of the WV (WildernessVagabond.com)
                  > > http://wildernessvagabond.com/
                  > >
                  > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Rob:
                  > > >
                  > > > The SHR is the Sierra High Route. The HST is the High Sierra Trail in the
                  > > > Sequoia area. You are of course right about predefining acronyms. The last
                  > > > email posted here was from a guy who knew the acronym specifically and sent
                  > > > to me specifically so I got a bit sloppy (even though I was also a bit
                  > > > verbose). By the by the reference to the HSR should have been to the HST
                  > > > which is why I spent the extra words on it.
                  > > >
                  > > > You want arcane go back through the posts here and look at the comments on
                  > > > cooking Kraft macaroni and cheese in a JetBoil .
                  > > >
                  > > > Joe

                • Joseph Lynn
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                    Rob,

                    I'm a newbie as well and I share your desire to know what all these acronyms mean but I must say that I died laughing when I read:

                    On Jun 17, 2013, at 18:45, "woodyrtt" <rod.tayler@...> wrote:

                    > > I finally learned that a SOBO is not a son of a bitch (who likes to be)
                    > > > outside.
                  • Dittli-Goethals
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 18, 2013
                      On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Robert <rnperky@...> wrote:

                      What does this have to do with meeting up to do the SHR?

                      If you need some reading material when you're out there...

                    • Robert
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 18, 2013
                        I think your on to something good here John! We could print out all of the 'thread hijacks' like this on TP and they could be used for double duty! : )