the ultimate smelly: used TP

  • Brian Kimball
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 14, 2013
      Hi Everyone,

      What's the consensus on how to pack it out safely and securely? Please tell me it doesn't go in the bearcan.

      Any horror stories of bears or other critters rummaging through used TP? I've definitely had little critters tear up used wag bags before (while snow camping). Not a pretty sight and not fun to clean up.

      And burying it is not an option for me. I came across used TP twice just last week in Yosemite. I'm not going to risk subjecting anyone else to that.

      Thanks!
    • brink_nathan
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 14, 2013
        Put the toilet paper in a ziploc and put it in your bag. Some people double bag it, (and I've heard of other ways, like bagging each days paper individually and then putting all that into a bag, which seems excessive) I've never had problems with just a single bag in my pack, never even really stinks up the place, and I've never had a bear try and get at it.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Brian Kimball <kimballistic@...> wrote:

        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > What's the consensus on how to pack it out safely and securely? Please tell me it doesn't go in the bearcan.
        >
        > Any horror stories of bears or other critters rummaging through used TP? I've definitely had little critters tear up used wag bags before (while snow camping). Not a pretty sight and not fun to clean up.
        >
        > And burying it is not an option for me. I came across used TP twice just last week in Yosemite. I'm not going to risk subjecting anyone else to that.
        >
        > Thanks!

      • cjoslyn99
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 14, 2013
          Doesn't have to go in can. Can put in little bags inside a bigger one.
          Get a small mesh bag (e.g., like for laundry) and you can clip outside
          your pack if you don't want to put it inside.

          You could also make a poop tube (i.e., like they use in climbing) just
          for TP. Small section of PVC w/ a threaded end for a screw cap and the
          other glued in place. Put TP in small baggie, stuff it in the tube and
          carry outside pack. Dispose of contents along the way where you can.
          Critters won't be able to get into that.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 14, 2013
              You know those coated paper bags that you get coffee beans in? Ideally the generic brown ones? They've got that metal band at the top that lets you reseal it?

              Those make very good used TP containers.
            • John
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 14, 2013
                I use a plastic produce bag inside a paper bag, Never had it smell, never have put it in with my food. I like the idea of the coffee bag.

                JD

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 14, 2013
                  the thread below gives links to mylar foil bags which are designed for odorous liquids._

                • Adam
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 14, 2013
                    I always use a thoroughly washed crouton bag that has a ziplock. I keep it on the side pouch of my pack and periodically empty it when I find a real toilet. I use one per trip. I never had any smell. By the way, if you use available natural materials eg grass or leaves, you can minimize TP use and smell.

                    Adam

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 16, 2013
                          Works great.  1.3 oz. or so.