Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: resupply advice

    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 13, 2013
      I have nothing against VVR, if I was retired, I'd throw in an extra day and do it.  Sounds like it would be great to do.

      It's just that I can't guarantee I'll make it to the ferry landing by the time the boat takes off without padding in an extra day, plus it throws off my pace to make it to Muir Trail Ranch in good time (I want to get to MTR by 2pm on the 2nd day leaving Quail Meadows' bridge (where the tangent hike to VVR spins off).

      I enjoy a down day at MTR (2 nights) and that's what's on my mind, getting to MTR, from Red's.

      I am so glad they're in business and plenty of hikers give them business, for they've helped 3 hikers I know bail out of the trail.

      _

      On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Larry Beck <becklaurence@...> wrote:

      I kind of have to agree with Roleigh on this one. Not to say anything bad about VVR but it does take at least one extra day when you can just push out a couple of more days to MTR. I suppose someday I should visit VVR though.. just to have that experience :)

      Larry

    • km_9830
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 18, 2013
        Pumping into the Bearikade is not useful; what you need is a vacuum pump. Bearikade seals only when outside pressure is higher than inside pressure. Under certain circumstances, it will self-seal. On a recent trip, I took from sealevel to 10,000 feet and back to sea level. When I opened it, there was a rush of air going in.