RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: To Joe MacLeish about the HSR

  • Joe MacLeish
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 13, 2013

      Rob:

      The SHR is the Sierra High Route.  The HST is the High Sierra Trail in the Sequoia area.  You are of course right about predefining acronyms.  The last email posted here was from a guy who knew the acronym specifically  and sent to me specifically so I got a bit sloppy (even though I was also a bit verbose).  By the by the reference to the HSR should have been to the HST which is why I spent the extra words on it.

      You want arcane go back through the posts here and look at the comments on cooking Kraft macaroni and cheese in a JetBoil .

      Joe

      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 13, 2013
        WV- I just wanted to say I agree with you and my post was in jest to see how many acronyms I could get in a paragraph on the subject.

        Man was I scratching my head when I first got on the internet and still have no idea what 20-30 year olds are saying when they text....

        John

        > HSR is a hybrid trip that includes the HST and the SHR. It can be completed WEBO, EBO, NOBO or SOBO. It goes through much of SEKI and JMW but includes some of the JMT, AAW and YOSE. It should only be completed by those with WFR training. LOL
        >
        > JD
        >
        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Wilderness" <wildvagabond@> wrote:
        > >
        > > What is an "HSR" trip? High Saddle Route? This might be the case in the GC (Grand Canyon) - probably lots of places. Then again, there are lots of HSRs, such as the HSRD (High Saddle Route - Doyle) - as seen here:
        > >
        > > http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/2282286
        > >
        > > Or, the HSRHG (High Saddle Route - Hell Gate) as seen here:
        > >
        > > http://wildernessvagabond.com/gcbuttefault2013/gcbuttefault2013.htm
        > >
        > > Or, the HSRJ (High Saddle Route - Jasper)
        > >
        > > http://wildernessvagabond.com/maze-2013/maze-2013.htm
        > >
        > > Acronyms are wondrous for the "inside elite group" yet stifle communicating to us newbies.
        > > I finally learned that a SOBO is not a son of a bitch (who likes to be) outside.
        > > When I talk about ERMs, I define the term the first time it is used in a section, as in "The trail mileage is 11.2 and the ERM (Energy Required Miles) is 18." In every trip report, I further define what an ERM is.
        > > Perhaps this was a private message to Joe, who presumably knows what an HSR is. Then, I would ask, how come it's posed in a web post?
        > >
        > > When I read posts on the GC (grand canyon) yahoo site, HSR might well be High Saddle Route, yet perhaps not here? Either place, definitions help understanding.
        > >
        > > Respectfully and honestly (not joking here) - it would be helpful if writers, who want to write well, define their acronyms the first time used in a section. Perhaps each digest might contain a list (footnote?) of common acronyms for reference? I enjoy and learn from reading many post, yet the message is blurred by arcane or idiosyncratic or vague or unspecified acronyms.
        > >
        > > Rob
        > >
        > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Sean" <isv007@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hey Joe,
        > > >
        > > > I just finished the JMT SOBO (May 26 - June 9) and I forgot what your timeframe was for your HSR trip. I am still willing to partner up for that, just let me know if you already have one though please, thanks.
        > > >
        > > > Sean

      • Deborah Rhoton
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 13, 2013
          OMG...roflmbo!!

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jun 13, 2013, at 11:10 AM, "John" <johndittli@...> wrote:

          HSR is a hybrid trip that includes the HST and the SHR. It can be completed WEBO, EBO, NOBO or SOBO. It goes through much of SEKI and JMW but includes some of the JMT, AAW and YOSE. It should only be completed by those with WFR training. LOL

          JD

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Wilderness" <wildvagabond@...> wrote:

          > What is an "HSR" trip? High Saddle Route? This might be the case in the GC (Grand Canyon) - probably lots of places. Then again, there are lots of HSRs, such as the HSRD (High Saddle Route - Doyle) - as seen here:
          >
          > http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/2282286
          >
          > Or, the HSRHG (High Saddle Route - Hell Gate) as seen here:
          >
          > http://wildernessvagabond.com/gcbuttefault2013/gcbuttefault2013.htm
          >
          > Or, the HSRJ (High Saddle Route - Jasper)
          >
          > http://wildernessvagabond.com/maze-2013/maze-2013.htm
          >
          > Acronyms are wondrous for the "inside elite group" yet stifle communicating to us newbies.
          > I finally learned that a SOBO is not a son of a bitch (who likes to be) outside.
          > When I talk about ERMs, I define the term the first time it is used in a section, as in "The trail mileage is 11.2 and the ERM (Energy Required Miles) is 18." In every trip report, I further define what an ERM is.
          > Perhaps this was a private message to Joe, who presumably knows what an HSR is. Then, I would ask, how come it's posed in a web post?
          >
          > When I read posts on the GC (grand canyon) yahoo site, HSR might well be High Saddle Route, yet perhaps not here? Either place, definitions help understanding.
          >
          > Respectfully and honestly (not joking here) - it would be helpful if writers, who want to write well, define their acronyms the first time used in a section. Perhaps each digest might contain a list (footnote?) of common acronyms for reference? I enjoy and learn from reading many post, yet the message is blurred by arcane or idiosyncratic or vague or unspecified acronyms.
          >
          > Rob
          >
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Sean" <isv007@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey Joe,
          > >
          > > I just finished the JMT SOBO (May 26 - June 9) and I forgot what your timeframe was for your HSR trip. I am still willing to partner up for that, just let me know if you already have one though please, thanks.
          > >
          > > Sean

        • Wilderness
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 13, 2013
            JD, John, Joe, thanks for the replies. And, thanks for the support in writing well.
            I actually had a (younger) person tell me how the language was "improved" with all the strange acronyms and tags used during texting. I relayed this to my lovely (Masters in English/ESL (English as a Second Language) teaching) wife, who said "expletive! these cretins are ruining the language and diminishing the quality of thought and writing," or something like this.
            See William Zinsser, "On Writing Well"

            Rob of the WV (WildernessVagabond.com)

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...> wrote:

            > Rob:
            >
            > The SHR is the Sierra High Route. The HST is the High Sierra Trail in the
            > Sequoia area. You are of course right about predefining acronyms. The last
            > email posted here was from a guy who knew the acronym specifically and sent
            > to me specifically so I got a bit sloppy (even though I was also a bit
            > verbose). By the by the reference to the HSR should have been to the HST
            > which is why I spent the extra words on it.
            >
            > You want arcane go back through the posts here and look at the comments on
            > cooking Kraft macaroni and cheese in a JetBoil .
            >
            > Joe

          • Joe MacLeish
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 13, 2013

              Does Ned do WFR training?

              WV- I just wanted to say I agree with you and my post was in jest to see how many acronyms I could get in a paragraph on the subject.

              Man was I scratching my head when I first got on the internet and still have no idea what 20-30 year olds are saying when they text....

              John

              > HSR is a hybrid trip that includes the HST and the SHR. It can be completed WEBO, EBO, NOBO or SOBO. It goes through much of SEKI and JMW but includes some of the JMT, AAW and YOSE. It should only be completed by those with WFR training. LOL
              >
              > JD
              >
              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Wilderness" <wildvagabond@> wrote:
              > >
              > > What is an "HSR" trip? High Saddle Route? This might be the case in the GC (Grand Canyon) - probably lots of places. Then again, there are lots of HSRs, such as the HSRD (High Saddle Route - Doyle) - as seen here:
              > >
              > > http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/2282286
              > >
              > > Or, the HSRHG (High Saddle Route - Hell Gate) as seen here:
              > >
              > > http://wildernessvagabond.com/gcbuttefault2013/gcbuttefault2013.htm
              > >
              > > Or, the HSRJ (High Saddle Route - Jasper)
              > >
              > > http://wildernessvagabond.com/maze-2013/maze-2013.htm
              > >
              > > Acronyms are wondrous for the "inside elite group" yet stifle communicating to us newbies.
              > > I finally learned that a SOBO is not a son of a bitch (who likes to be) outside.
              > > When I talk about ERMs, I define the term the first time it is used in a section, as in "The trail mileage is 11.2 and the ERM (Energy Required Miles) is 18." In every trip report, I further define what an ERM is.
              > > Perhaps this was a private message to Joe, who presumably knows what an HSR is. Then, I would ask, how come it's posed in a web post?
              > >
              > > When I read posts on the GC (grand canyon) yahoo site, HSR might well be High Saddle Route, yet perhaps not here? Either place, definitions help understanding.
              > >
              > > Respectfully and honestly (not joking here) - it would be helpful if writers, who want to write well, define their acronyms the first time used in a section. Perhaps each digest might contain a list (footnote?) of common acronyms for reference? I enjoy and learn from reading many post, yet the message is blurred by arcane or idiosyncratic or vague or unspecified acronyms.
              > >
              > > Rob
              > >
              > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Sean" <isv007@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hey Joe,
              > > >
              > > > I just finished the JMT SOBO (May 26 - June 9) and I forgot what your timeframe was for your HSR trip. I am still willing to partner up for that, just let me know if you already have one though please, thanks.
              > > >
              > > > Sean

            • Robert
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 14, 2013
                Hi Sean, I am one of the guys meeting up with Joe to do a section of the SHR, ( Sierra High Route, for the acronymacally challenged ). I hope you will be able to join us! I did this section about 6 years ago, and it still ranks up there as one of my favorite hikes! I'm hoping to get more 'cowboy' camping in this year than I did on my JMT hike last year in August. Congrats on finishing the JMT! I was going to do it again this summer, but the low snow year, and the chance to meet some fellow JMT Yahoo-ers was too enticing!

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Sean" <isv007@...> wrote:

                > Hey Joe,
                >
                > I just finished the JMT SOBO (May 26 - June 9) and I forgot what your timeframe was for your HSR trip. I am still willing to partner up for that, just let me know if you already have one though please, thanks.
                >
                > Sean

              • Dale Stuart
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 14, 2013
                  Sean,
                  Looks like I will be starting my SHR on 7/9 out of Onion valley.  Planning for at least to Grouse lake for 7/10.
                  -Dale

                  Hi Sean, I am one of the guys meeting up with Joe to do a section of the SHR, ( Sierra High Route, for the acronymacally challenged ). I hope you will be able to join us! I did this section about 6 years ago, and it still ranks up there as one of my favorite hikes! I'm hoping to get more 'cowboy' camping in this year than I did on my JMT hike last year in August. Congrats on finishing the JMT! I was going to do it again this summer, but the low snow year, and the chance to meet some fellow JMT Yahoo-ers was too enticing!

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Sean" <isv007@...> wrote:

                  > Hey Joe,
                  >
                  > I just finished the JMT SOBO (May 26 - June 9) and I forgot what your timeframe was for your HSR trip. I am still willing to partner up for that, just let me know if you already have one though please, thanks.
                  >
                  > Sean

                • Illya V.
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 15, 2013
                    Hi Dale,

                    So your SHR trip is separate from Joe's group's trip?

                    Looks like I will be starting my SHR on 7/9 out of Onion valley.  Planning for at least to Grouse lake for 7/10.
                    -Dale
                    Hi Sean, I am one of the guys meeting up with Joe to do a section of the SHR, ( Sierra High Route, for the acronymacally challenged ). I hope you will be able to join us! I did this section about 6 years ago, and it still ranks up there as one of my favorite hikes! I'm hoping to get more 'cowboy' camping in this year than I did on my JMT hike last year in August. Congrats on finishing the JMT! I was going to do it again this summer, but the low snow year, and the chance to meet some fellow JMT Yahoo-ers was too enticing! --- In mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com, "Sean" <isv007@...> wrote: > > Hey Joe, > > I just finished the JMT SOBO (May 26 - June 9) and I forgot what your timeframe was for your HSR trip. I am still willing to partner up for that, just let me know if you already have one though please, thanks. > > Sean >
                  • Illya V.
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 15, 2013
                      Thanks a lot Robert. Yes I am planning on joining you guys cause the route sounds like fun and I don't want to miss the opportunity to go at it the first time with experienced hikers. I shall see you out there!

                      Hi Sean, I am one of the guys meeting up with Joe to do a section of the SHR, ( Sierra High Route, for the acronymacally challenged ). I hope you will be able to join us! I did this section about 6 years ago, and it still ranks up there as one of my favorite hikes! I'm hoping to get more 'cowboy' camping in this year than I did on my JMT hike last year in August. Congrats on finishing the JMT! I was going to do it again this summer, but the low snow year, and the chance to meet some fellow JMT Yahoo-ers was too enticing!

                      --- In mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com, "Sean" <isv007@...> wrote:

                      > Hey Joe,
                      >
                      > I just finished the JMT SOBO (May 26 - June 9) and I forgot what your timeframe was for your HSR trip. I am still willing to partner up for that, just let me know if you already have one though please, thanks.
                      >
                      > Sean

                    • Dale Stuart
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 15, 2013
                        Correct, their time frames didn't match what I had in mind.  I am coming in via Onion Valley hiking to Roads End.  Hiking the SHR to Bishop pass, going out to Parchers resort for resupply.  Then continuing the SHR and meeting up with a friend at Devils Post Pile (resupply).  The 2 of us will continue the Route into Yosemite but veer off towards Merced lake heading over to half dome and exiting out Tuolume.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 16, 2013
                          Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I have decided to meetup with Joe and Michael in Cedar Grove and meet another guy a day later at Grouse Lake. Four is a lot but I think it will be cool since no one in the group has completed it entirely and it has been a while for some when they did sections. I haven't been on any off-trail segment so I'm excited.

                          Sean

                          Correct, their time frames didn't match what I had in mind.  I am coming in via Onion Valley hiking to Roads End.  Hiking the SHR to Bishop pass, going out to Parchers resort for resupply.  Then continuing the SHR and meeting up with a friend at Devils Post Pile (resupply).  The 2 of us will continue the Route into Yosemite but veer off towards Merced lake heading over to half dome and exiting out Tuolume.
                          -Dale
                          So your SHR trip is separate from Joe's group's trip?

                        • woodyrtt
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                            Here is an excellent article by Zinsser on simplicity in writing:

                            http://cgiss.boisestate.edu/~billc/Writing/zinsser.html

                            Rod

                          • Robert
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                              What does this have to do with meeting up to do the SHR?

                              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "woodyrtt" <rod.tayler@...> wrote:

                              > Here is an excellent article by Zinsser on simplicity in writing:
                              >
                              > http://cgiss.boisestate.edu/~billc/Writing/zinsser.html
                              >
                              > Rod
                              >
                              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Wilderness" <wildvagabond@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > JD, John, Joe, thanks for the replies. And, thanks for the support in writing well.
                              > > I actually had a (younger) person tell me how the language was "improved" with all the strange acronyms and tags used during texting. I relayed this to my lovely (Masters in English/ESL (English as a Second Language) teaching) wife, who said "expletive! these cretins are ruining the language and diminishing the quality of thought and writing," or something like this.
                              > > See William Zinsser, "On Writing Well"
                              > >
                              > > Rob of the WV (WildernessVagabond.com)
                              > > http://wildernessvagabond.com/
                              > >
                              > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Rob:
                              > > >
                              > > > The SHR is the Sierra High Route. The HST is the High Sierra Trail in the
                              > > > Sequoia area. You are of course right about predefining acronyms. The last
                              > > > email posted here was from a guy who knew the acronym specifically and sent
                              > > > to me specifically so I got a bit sloppy (even though I was also a bit
                              > > > verbose). By the by the reference to the HSR should have been to the HST
                              > > > which is why I spent the extra words on it.
                              > > >
                              > > > You want arcane go back through the posts here and look at the comments on
                              > > > cooking Kraft macaroni and cheese in a JetBoil .
                              > > >
                              > > > Joe

                            • Joseph Lynn
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jun 17, 2013
                                Rob,

                                I'm a newbie as well and I share your desire to know what all these acronyms mean but I must say that I died laughing when I read:

                                On Jun 17, 2013, at 18:45, "woodyrtt" <rod.tayler@...> wrote:

                                > > I finally learned that a SOBO is not a son of a bitch (who likes to be)
                                > > > outside.
                              • Dittli-Goethals
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jun 18, 2013
                                  On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM, Robert <rnperky@...> wrote:

                                  What does this have to do with meeting up to do the SHR?

                                  If you need some reading material when you're out there...

                                • Robert
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 18, 2013
                                    I think your on to something good here John! We could print out all of the 'thread hijacks' like this on TP and they could be used for double duty! : )