Re:... communications devices...?

  • Jim W
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2013

      Christina asked about communication devices.

      Our family of four will not bring walkie-talkies or satellite phones.  We will each have a whistle and at least one signal mirror for the group.  Also ability to shout and make smoke signals.

      We will have one or two cell phones.  Mostly because they're also our primary cameras.  The main use as phone will be to call my parents from Kearsarge Pass and Mt. Whitney to confirm pickup.

      I will bring my McMurdo Fastfind 210 personal locator beacon.  I bought it before climbing Whitney solo in springtime.  I like the fact that it doesn't do non-emergency messages.  I think it would be a good thing to have if one of our party or someone we came across on the trail were to be incapacitated and need evacuation.

      Jim
      JMT- August 2013 family hike.
    • misadventuregear
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 14, 2013
        For those of you looking at carrying a communication device for safety reasons, I can highly recommend the Delorme InReach. It pairs with your smart phone to send two way text messaging via sattelite--no cell service required. Very handy for keeping family members updated. They receive messages that have links to a map to show your current location, and it can show breadcrumbs of your route, updated every 10 minutes if you desire. It can also send 3 differrent preprogrammed 1-way messages if your phone batteries are down. It also has an emergency button to activate rescue services if something serious happens. I've had mine for a few months now, and I love it for the peace of mind it gives my wife. They have a few different data plans, so you can pick the one that best fits your needs.

        I tried the Spot, and was disppointed to find it had essentially no coverage here in Hawaii. It may work well for the JMT, but I need it to work for all my misadventures, not just a few trips. Cancelled my service, took it back, and upgraded to the InReach. A much better device IMHO, even if a little more expensive.

        Russell