leaving behind pack & bearcan for side-trips?

  • Brian Kimball
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2013
      Hi Everyone,

      I'll be hiking the entire route N-S starting in late August.

      I plan on doing many of the side-trips listed in Wenk's book.

      I do not relish the idea of carrying my 40-50 lb pack off trail and up steep talus slopes.

      Would I be crazy to hide my pack and bearcan off trail (separately of course), and summit these peaks with just a light daypack/fannypack containing only water, snacks, and emergency supplies?

      Thanks,

      Brian
    • Jim W
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 12, 2013

        On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Brian Kimball <kimballistic@...> wrote:

        Would I be crazy to hide my pack and bearcan off trail (separately of course), ...

        No.  That's how you do it.  If there are trees it's a good idea to hang the pack a couple feet off the ground to keep curious Marmots from chewing at it.

        Don't hide your stuff very well.  It's amazing how hard it can be to find your pack.  Every tree and rock seems to look the same.

        Jim