Transportation to/from start/end of JMT - which way do the buses run most days of week?

    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 20, 2008
      I have a group planning on doing the JMT in 2009 July/August.

      Looking at airports to fly into, although Reno is closest, the buses to/from
      Reno to JMT points -- those buses do not run 5 days a week.

      Is it better to fly into Fresno or Merced or San Francisco (which of the 3
      places) and buses going from there to Happy Isles, Yosemite (by the way, is
      Happy Isles in/at Yosemite Valley in Yosemite National Park)? Do such buses
      from these places operate 7 days a week in this time of the year?

      From Lone Pine, the bus-days are limited, but one can worse case hitchike or
      rent a shuttle service to get to Mammoth Lakes, and from there, the Yarts
      buses run 7 days a week, and once at Yosemite Valley, getting from there
      back to the starting airport can be done on any of the days of the week.

      Last, buses out of Lone Pine, are they by EasternSierraTransit now or by
      County of Inyo, you see both web pages -- which is current? I seem to
      remember one of them taking over (but not taking down their web page).

      http://easternsierratransitauthority.com/wb/pages/bus-routes/bishop-reno.php
      http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm
      Thanks!

      Roleigh

    • zmortalcityz
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 20, 2008
        Happy Isles is in Yosemite Valley. There is a shuttle that drops off
        at Happy Isles near a concession stand and restrooms. Just a quick
        walk over the bridge to the start of the trail. I don't recall the
        shuttle times, but if you are leaving in the morning or afternoon you
        should have no problem. Its a nice walk through the valley if you
        don't want to take the shuttle. It might have taken an hour or more
        from the store, but we made alot of stops along the way.

        I think the road might have been closed to private vehicles. I know
        we were looking for it when we arrived in the Valley at like 1am and
        we just got hopelessly lost.

        You are probably going to end up hitchhiking one way or another to get
        from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine. I had planned on calling for my
        ride at Whitney Portal but I didn't have service. Doug let me use his
        cell which saved my ass. Awesome dude!

        Personally, I would do Reno. Might take 2 days to get from Reno to YV
        or Lone Pine to Reno. The schedules don't match up perfect. I
        wouldn't really count on anything running or being open 7 days a week
        to be honest. Sucks when the one bus of the day leaves at 8am but you
        don't get off the other bus until 11am. You need to be flexible with
        public transportation out there. But if its just one or two of you
        its easy to hitchhike. Alot of like-minded people in those parts!

        Reno to Mammoth on CREST. Mammoth to YV on YARTS. Lone Pine to
        Mammoth then Mammoth to Reno. Alot of ways to do different routes, so
        check out how they times work.

        Roleigh, did you end up doing the JMT this year? I remember hearing
        you talk about it on BPL, but maybe it was for next year. Don't think
        I saw you, I tried to talk to all of the through hikers. I was on YV
        to past Red's from 07/18/08 to 07/24/08 and from YV to Portal from
        08/17/08 to 09/02/08. I didn't end up finishing it twice like I
        wanted to, but once was definitely nice! Can't wait to do it again
        but I think i'll have to get some other long hikes 'out of the way'
        first haha.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Roleigh Martin" <roleigh@...>

        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 20, 2008
          I did the Red Meadows to Whitney Portal segment from July 27 to August 11 in
          2008. Photos here:
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/roleigh/collections/72157607171206490/

          In 2009, I plan on doing the whole JMT trail at a 10 mile a day pace
          (average, except for last day which is a 15 mile day--from Guitar Lake to
          Whitney Portal, including the summit).
          The problem with Reno is that you can't do any weekend travel on the buses
          then. I'm trying to have the vacation work out so elapse time from work is
          from Monday thru a Friday covering 20 business days off.

          Do you know the answer to the EST v. Inyo control of buses yet? I should
          probably call them.

          Thanks -- hope I see you on the trail sometime in the future. I intend to
          rehike the High Sierras for as many years in the future as I can foresee.
          Redoing the same trail does not bore me at all, as I'm there for the
          exercise and I feel some comfort doing familiar terrain.
          Roleigh

        • The Incredible Bulk
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 20, 2008
            Another airport alternative is the Mammoth Airport, located just outside Mammoth on 395. I think an major airline, maybe Southwest, is flying there now since the airport received a major upgrade.

            Tom
            The Incredible Bulk

            ---- Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

            =============
            I have a group planning on doing the JMT in 2009 July/August.

            Looking at airports to fly into, although Reno is closest, the buses to/from
            Reno to JMT points -- those buses do not run 5 days a week.

            Is it better to fly into Fresno or Merced or San Francisco (which of the 3
            places) and buses going from there to Happy Isles, Yosemite (by the way, is
            Happy Isles in/at Yosemite Valley in Yosemite National Park)? Do such buses
            from these places operate 7 days a week in this time of the year?

            From Lone Pine, the bus-days are limited, but one can worse case hitchike or

            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 20, 2008
              The website below has the info about Horizon Air, the airline that flies to the Mammoth Airport from LAX, one flight per day.

              http://cityconcierge.com/mammoth-lakes/community/airlines.asp
            • robert shattuck
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 20, 2008
                Roleigh, if you are flying into california to do the John Muir Trail��the very best and easiest way is to fly into San francisco. Generally you will fly in, spend a night in SF and then take AMTRAK (bus, train, bus) into Yosemite Valley the next day. The AMTRAK leaves SF at 7 a.m. and gets into the valley, dropping you right in front of the permit office, by about 1:30-2 p.m. Generally(or always in my eight JMT's) you get off the bus, get your permit to leave next day and then get on the local shuttle bus over to the backpackers campground. Pitch camp, then go wander around at curry village or whatever. Relax. get up in the morning and you can walk, easily, to the JMT trailhead at happy isles and you are on your way. congrats. some people arrive and get on the trail that very day. Again, get off the bus. get the permit, then shuttle to the happy isle trail head. You could take a possibly cheaper flight into san jose, oakland, or even sacramento and still get in the AMTRAK, but I am not sure of those times. if you fly into Los Angeles, YOU HAVE TO GET OUT OF LOS ANGELES. I have no knowledge of this routine, but I imagine the easiest route would again be AMTRAK from L.A. to Manteca or Merced and catch the connecting bus from there. I also think you would have to start a lot earlier . . . I get on the bus at 7 a.m. in SF and you get on the bus at 3 a.m. so that we can meet in Manteca at 1130 or thereabouts��AS AN EXAMPLE. YOU COULD ALSO CHOOSE TO DRAG YOUR GROUP, SOMEHOW, UP 395 AND START YOUR JMT adventure from Whitney. in my opinion, not a good idea unless you are all fit and ready to climb and acclimate in a hurry, but more importantly��this is a trip of a lifetime for some people. why try and kill them at the very beginning, not to mention, again in my opinion, ending up in crowded yosemite. An epic such as this should only get better, grander, the farther you go and ending your trip on whitney is the way to do it . . . once you get down to Whitney Portal, it's an easy thumb ( just split up your group )down to Lone Pine. I always spend the night in Lone Pine, at the Dow Villa. RELAX IN THE HOT TUB and then thumb North the next day. HAving a large group, you might have to wait around for the crestline to get you on your way . . . get to Reno and then greyhound to SF, jump on the plane. IN LP you could also keep your large group in the WHITNEY PORTAL HOSTEL, but by this time, maybe your group wants a little breathing room.If your group is small and you can split up and thumb, the best way, short of a ride all the way to Yosemite Valley, is to thumb to Mammoth, spend the night and catch the 7 a.m. YARTS into the Valley. it'll put you there at about noon, with plenty of time to wait for an afternoon amtrak bus back to San Francisco. BOBhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucwhH65ryGwsparklefart.blogspot.comhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.comFrom: roleigh@...: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:50:32 -0600Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Transportation to/from start/end of JMT - which way do the buses run most days of week?

                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 20, 2008
                  I'm researching this as I write this. It is Horizon Air not Southwest - I
                  checked Southwest no luck, google showed a press release from horizon air
                  (press release only talked about wintertime flights). Am trying to schedule
                  a flight now for next July. Page is "hanging" on me though.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 20, 2008
                    I got this back:

                    City Pairs Date Frequency Los Angeles (LAX) - Mammoth Lakes (MMH)
                    12/18/08 Daily
                    - Seasonal until 4/12/09

                    Bummer. Will see if other city pairs work.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 20, 2008
                      Update - I called, during mid-July to Mid-August, Horizon does not service
                      Mammoth Lakes. Looks like Fresno is an option, or else a charter flight
                      to/from Mammoth Lakes at that time of year.

                      *For Charter Flights:

                      *Mammoth Air Charter
                      760-934-4279

                      Captain Zero
                      760-937-7383

                      http://www.ci.mammoth-lakes.ca.us/airport/ground-transport.asp

                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 20, 2008

                        2.wheel.kang@...>wrote:
> [...]
                        > the 3
                        >> places) and buses going from there to Happy Isles, Yosemite (by the
                        > way, is
                        >> Happy Isles in/at Yosemite Valley in Yosemite National Park)? Do
                        > such buses
                        >> from these places operate 7 days a week in this time of the year?
                        >>
                        >> From Lone Pine, the bus-days are limited, but one can worse case
                        > hitchike or
                        >> rent a shuttle service to get to Mammoth Lakes, and from there, the
                        > Yarts
                        >> buses run 7 days a week, and once at Yosemite Valley, getting from there
                        >> back to the starting airport can be done on any of the days of the week.
                        >>
                        >> Last, buses out of Lone Pine, are they by EasternSierraTransit now or by
                        >> County of Inyo, you see both web pages -- which is current? I seem to
                        >> remember one of them taking over (but not taking down their web page).

                      • richfax
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 20, 2008
                          In my opinion there is no quick or easy way to get to the trailhead
                          from the airports and you'll need a flexible itinerary if you want to
                          do it on the cheap.

                          Our timeline was not flexible, due to limited vacation, so we couldn't
                          take the buses and that counted Reno out. Instead we chose to fly into
                          L.A. because the roundtrip tickets were only $200 from Texas. Luckily
                          we had a friend that was willing to go with us just for 3 days. He
                          rented a second car at the airport and we all drove to the Whitney
                          Portal. There we dropped off one of the cars and drove the other to
                          Tuolumne. Our friend was able to do a good day-hike in Yosemite and
                          then drove back to L.A. while we started down the trail. It was nice
                          to have our rental car waiting at the Whitney Portal when we finished.
                          No hitchiking or buses to worry about and the drive back to L.A. is
                          relatively short from the Portal. It only cost about $550 for the
                          rental and you can split that cost if you have several people.

                          Just wanted to throw this out as an option.
                        • Barbara Karagosian
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 20, 2008
                            Hi all,

                            Must be the planning time of year - I'm already trying to figure out good
                            dates to start at Tuolumne and end at Whitney - maybe doing an 8 mile a day
                            hike with reds, VVR or MTR and maybe over Kearsage resupplies. Or maybe
                            picking it up after MTR and not having to hike out to resupply. Trying to
                            start as late in July as poss. Planning sure is fun! Hope to meet some of
                            you out there.

                            PS Any opinions on VVR versus MTR pros and cons? Barbara

                          • Barbara Karagosian
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 20, 2008
                              Raleigh - Is that your tarp tent Rainbow 2 in one of the photos - and if so,
                              how did you like it? Dry? Slippery? Thanks, Barbara

                            • dh5169
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 20, 2008
                                Another alternative is to fly into Sacramento and out of Vegas. At
                                Sacramento you can get Amtrak train/bus combo to Merced and Yarts to
                                Yosemite. You can also get a one-way car rental from Sacramento
                                airport to Merced. From Lone Pine take the bus to Ridgecrest and a
                                one-way car rental to Las vegas.
                                Doug

                                wrote:

                                > I have a group planning on doing the JMT in 2009 July/August.
                                >
                                > Looking at airports to fly into, although Reno is closest, the
                                buses to/from
                                > Reno to JMT points -- those buses do not run 5 days a week.
                                >
                                > Is it better to fly into Fresno or Merced or San Francisco (which
                                of the 3
                                > places) and buses going from there to Happy Isles, Yosemite (by the
                                way, is
                                > Happy Isles in/at Yosemite Valley in Yosemite National Park)? Do
                                such buses
                                > from these places operate 7 days a week in this time of the year?
                                >
                                > From Lone Pine, the bus-days are limited, but one can worse case
                                hitchike or
                                > rent a shuttle service to get to Mammoth Lakes, and from there, the
                                Yarts
                                > buses run 7 days a week, and once at Yosemite Valley, getting from
                                there
                                > back to the starting airport can be done on any of the days of the
                                week.

                                > Last, buses out of Lone Pine, are they by EasternSierraTransit now
                                or by
                                > County of Inyo, you see both web pages -- which is current? I seem
                                > remember one of them taking over (but not taking down their web
                                page).

                                > http://easternsierratransitauthority.com/wb/pages/bus-routes/bishop-
                                reno.php
                                > http://www.countyofinyo.org/transit/CRESTpage.htm
                                > Thanks!
                                >
                                > Roleigh

                              • dc t
                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 20, 2008
                                  My brother and I did something  very  similar to what you are planning  just this  past  July.  We started  our trip at  Kings  Canyon, did the Rae Lakes  Loop  and continued south  to  Mt Whitney. We  flew  into Fresno and called Checker  Cab  and they  drove  us  in  for  about 150  dollars. When we got to Whitney  portal we  took Whitney  Shuttle service and he  drove  us to Ridgecrest where we  took a one  way  car rental to Reno.  We  could have gone to  Las  Vegas,  but  we had  some  freinds  in Reno to  visit.  I have a Myspace Website dedicated to this  trip, and  if you  look  at my  blogs I have  phone numbers and  detailed  information  for the planning aspect of the trip. Here  is the URL  for  my website.  Read the blogs,  it  may have  the information  you seek.

                                  http://www.myspace.com/raelakeswhitneyportal

                                  wrote:

                                  > I have a group planning on doing the JMT in 2009 July/August.
                                  >
                                  > Looking at airports to fly into, although Reno is closest, the
                                  buses to/from
                                  > Reno to JMT points -- those buses do not run 5 days a week.
                                  >
                                  > Is it better to fly into Fresno or Merced or San Francisco (which
                                  of the 3
                                  > places) and buses going from there to Happy Isles, Yosemite (by the
                                  way, is
                                  > Happy Isles in/at Yosemite Valley in Yosemite National Park)? Do
                                  such buses
                                  > from these places operate 7 days a week in this time of the year?
                                  >
                                  > From Lone Pine, the bus-days are limited, but one can worse case
                                  hitchike or
                                  > rent a shuttle service to get to Mammoth Lakes, and from there, the
                                  Yarts
                                  > buses run 7 days a week, and once at Yosemite Valley, getting from
                                  there
                                  > back to the starting airport can be done on any of the days of the
                                  week.

                                  > Last, buses out of Lone Pine, are they by EasternSierraTransi t now
                                  or by
                                  > County of Inyo, you see both web pages -- which is current? I seem
                                  > remember one of them taking over (but not taking down their web
                                  page).

                                  > http://easternsierr atransitauthorit y.com/wb/ pages/bus- routes/bishop-
                                  reno.php
                                  > http://www.countyof inyo.org/ transit/CRESTpag e.htm
                                  > Thanks!
                                  >
                                  > Roleigh

                                • Steve Schauer
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 20, 2008
                                    Yep, I love to start planning for next summer. I hope to be on the trail in August. When it gets closer maybe we can coordinate a food drop around Kearsarge-it would be good to share the cost.

                                    VVR: Great meals, warm shower (but don't expect a luxury experience), a grungy washing machine (from clothes like ours!) Internet service, a little store.

                                    MTR: Very small store, internet service, free food (in barrels from hikers who couldn't fit their resupply in the cannisters), Hot springs across the river, nice campsites right outside MTR. Only place we experienced a bear.
                                    Here's my full description of that segment.
                                    http://www.johnmuirtrail.org/trail.html#segment_three

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 20, 2008
                                      Definitely keep in touch - sharing costs would be very welcome. There'll be
                                      me (female, age 59, aaahhh, hence the projected snail pace) and my 16 year
                                      old daughter. Doubt my husband will be able to take 3 weeks off. We've
                                      backpacked a lot in Yosemite (Half Dome, Vogelsang, Sunrise, Young lakes,
                                      Clouds Rest etc etc ), and last year Bishop's Pass, Dusy and LeConte. Now
                                      it's time to step it up..

                                      _____

                                      Yep, I love to start planning for next summer. I hope to be on the trail in
                                      August. When it gets closer maybe we can coordinate a food drop around
                                      Kearsarge-it would be good to share the cost.

                                      VVR: Great meals, warm shower (but don't expect a luxury experience), a
                                      grungy washing machine (from clothes like ours!) Internet service, a little
                                      store.

                                      MTR: Very small store, internet service, free food (in barrels from hikers
                                      who couldn't fit their resupply in the cannisters), Hot springs across the
                                      river, nice campsites right outside MTR. Only place we experienced a bear.
                                      Here's my full description of that segment.
                                      http://www.johnmuir <http://www.johnmuirtrail.org/trail.html#segment_three>
                                      trail.org/trail.html#segment_three

                                      --- On Thu, 11/20/08, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@mkpe.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 20, 2008
                                        I would wait until mid August. Mosquitos will be ABSOLUTE HELL in
                                        July for much of the trail. I was lathering myself with 100% deet.
                                        Even on the top of the passes when you want to stop and enjoy the
                                        views, they are incessant and trauma inducing. Seriously, it is
                                        unbelievable how crazy they can make you. I've had worse mosquitos,
                                        but never all day long for days. Just my experience...

                                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"
                                        <barbara@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi all,
                                        >

                                        > Must be the planning time of year - I'm already trying to figure out
                                        good
                                        > dates to start at Tuolumne and end at Whitney - maybe doing an 8
                                        mile a day
                                        > hike with reds, VVR or MTR and maybe over Kearsage resupplies. Or maybe
                                        > picking it up after MTR and not having to hike out to resupply.
                                        Trying to
                                        > start as late in July as poss. Planning sure is fun! Hope to meet
                                        some of
                                        > you out there.
                                        >

                                        > PS Any opinions on VVR versus MTR pros and cons? Barbara

                                      • David Carbiener
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 20, 2008
                                          I must agree. I did the JMT this last August and had very little mosquito problem. The weather was great and there was still plenty of water.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Nov 21, 2008
                                            I agree wholeheartedly. It's just not worth the suffering to go in July, esp if we've had a big snow year.
                                            Claire

                                            > I would wait until mid August. Mosquitos will be ABSOLUTE
                                            > HELL in
                                            > July for much of the trail. I was lathering myself with
                                            > 100% deet.
                                            > Even on the top of the passes when you want to stop and
                                            > enjoy the
                                            > views, they are incessant and trauma inducing. Seriously,
                                            > it is
                                            > unbelievable how crazy they can make you. I've had
                                            > worse mosquitos,
                                            > but never all day long for days. Just my experience...
                                            >
                                            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara
                                            > Karagosian"
                                            > <barbara@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Hi all,
                                            > >

                                            > > Must be the planning time of year - I'm already
                                            > trying to figure out
                                            > good
                                            > > dates to start at Tuolumne and end at Whitney - maybe
                                            > doing an 8
                                            > mile a day
                                            > > hike with reds, VVR or MTR and maybe over Kearsage
                                            > resupplies. Or maybe
                                            > > picking it up after MTR and not having to hike out to
                                            > resupply.
                                            > Trying to
                                            > > start as late in July as poss. Planning sure is fun!
                                            > Hope to meet
                                            > some of
                                            > > you out there.
                                            > >

                                            > > PS Any opinions on VVR versus MTR pros and cons?
                                            > Barbara

                                          • Barbara Karagosian
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Nov 21, 2008
                                              Ewww, but I have to back in LA by last week of August, and am really SLOW
                                              hiker - tho maybe I'll be faster with buzzing hoards round my ears!

                                              _____

                                              --- In johnmuirtrail@ <mailto:johnmuirtrail%40yahoogroups.com>
                                              yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"

                                            • targetdoggmechanic
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Nov 22, 2008
                                                I did the JMT in mid to late July in 2007 and had literally no
                                                mosquito issues. I think it depends how "wet" the year was (it was
                                                pretty dry) and when the snow melts. The creeks were low, the
                                                crossings were easy and there was plenty of water. The only time I
                                                had a long stretch without water was from Red Cones to deer creek,
                                                and from Senger creek to Piute creek. It never really was a real
                                                problem and there was always good water sources. Evolution crossing
                                                was a cinch, only thigh-waist deep and gently flowing. There was a
                                                few deep holes to watch out for though.
                                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "David Carbiener"
                                                <davecarb@...> wrote:

                                                > I must agree. I did the JMT this last August and had very little
                                                mosquito problem. The weather was great and there was still plenty
                                                of water.

                                              • Kevin Aston
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Nov 22, 2008
                                                  I did the trail in 06-07-and 08 all in July. Had a few bad patches of mosquitoes, but not enough to make it a big issue. Go when you can. I am going again in July of 2010.
                                                  Planning is half the fun.
                                                  Kevin Aston
                                                  www.kevinaston.com

                                                  <davecarb@.. .> wrote:

                                                  > I must agree. I did the JMT this last August and had very little

                                                  mosquito problem. The weather was great and there was still plenty

                                                  of water.

                                                • jim.ennis
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Dec 13, 2008
                                                    I'm planning an '09 hike beginning on or about August 17 from Happy
                                                    Isles and summiting Mt. Whitney on or about August 31. My plan is to
                                                    average 15 miles per day and resupply once at MTR. I've got my gear
                                                    pretty much dialed in and just waiting to apply for the permits.