Updated Stream Crossing Questions

  • nevadaminesnow
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 10, 2013
      New on this site and trying to find updated trail/stream conditions
      for the next few weeks.

      Have looked over the archives and other info.

      What's the best way to get updated status?

      Are the ranger stations the best source of updated info?

      Also what sites do you monitor for update trail reports?

      Appreciate any responses.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 10, 2013

            Nevada:

            You won't have any problems with stream crossings this year.  The most difficult (not difficult) will be the crossing at Evolution Creek which will be about to your knees if that high and slow.

            Joe

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 10, 2013
              On-trail reports from other hikers is the most current info source. Prior to starting, and before losing internet access, I check the trail journal sites. Some of PCT hikers are passing through now.

              http://www.trailjournals.com/journals/pacific_crest_trail/2013/

              http://postholer.com/journal/search.php

              But all information you get a few days before you actually arrive on site is subject to change. A few hot days can melt a lot of snow and increase the water flow at the crossings. Given the low snow/water this year conditions should be relatively "mild."

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, nevadaminesnow <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > New on this site and trying to find updated trail/stream conditions
              > for the next few weeks.
              >
              > Have looked over the archives and other info.
              >
              > What's the best way to get updated status?
              >
              > Are the ranger stations the best source of updated info?
              >
              > Also what sites do you monitor for update trail reports?
              >
              > Appreciate any responses.

            • bodnar1234
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 10, 2013
                Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) thru-hikers (hiking the JMT) are already moving through the Sierras and they are reporting no issues with snow. Forester pass was passable without ice ax and crampons.

                Stream and river crossings along the JMT should be relatively low this year due to the low snow pack observed. PCT hikers have already made it past Vermillion Valley Resort and reported no issue with stream crossings or trail problems.

                I hope this helps... I just hiked up to Whitney from the portals and there was hardly any snow and the trail was in good condition.

                Paul (Tangent)

                > > New on this site and trying to find updated trail/stream conditions
                > > for the next few weeks.
                > >
                > > Have looked over the archives and other info.
                > >
                > > What's the best way to get updated status?
                > >
                > > Are the ranger stations the best source of updated info?
                > >
                > > Also what sites do you monitor for update trail reports?
                > >
                > > Appreciate any responses.

              • nevadaminesnow
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 10, 2013
                  Good Info. thank you