Re: [Sequoia Kings Canyon Hikers] Re: [ BackpackingLight] The Gear Junkie Scoop : Buddy-Board - “Is your life worth 30 seconds?” (before leaving the trailhead)

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2008
      I amended my preference to indicate that the buddy board should be faced
      downward on the seat of the car, so that only if someone breaks into the
      car, is the information revealed. If something happens to you on the trail,
      the authorities will likely break into your car eventually. If you are on
      the trail and nothing wrong happens, the authorities are unlikely to break
      into your car. Possible vandals will not know how long you are on the
      trail, so the buddy board gives nothing away. If your car is broken into,
      the information shown on the upside down buddy board will only let the
      thiefs know how much time they have to vandalize your car but the blame for
      the breakin can't be laid upon the buddyboard giving away information but
      it's not given away until after the breakin.

      I agree you should leave information with friends and ranger etc. And on
      the JMT and in SEKI, I see no need to do this, but what about in training
      areas you hike where required permits are not issued? What harm is done
      doing this then, I don't see how such could tempt a breakin?