Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Cozy for JetBoil PCS

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 3, 2013
    1.6 oz for the Antigravitygear pot cozy.  Absolutely worth the weight in fuel savings.  You just pour boiling water into the plastic bag (rated to hold boiling water) and which has your dinner, seal it, store in the cozy 10 minutes, then eat.

    I spent 2 years researching the best plastic bags for the JMT and I've attached the specs and costs and how to order them in this email.  If anyone in the group wants to sell these bags, I encourage you to do so.

    6 X 9+ 3" BOTTOM GUSSET, STAND UP ZIP TOP POUCH, CLEAR ON BOTH SIDES, 5 MIL. PET 12/LLDPE

    _

    On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 11:02 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

    A member asked the weight of this cozy

    4.5 ounces on a not-particularly-accurate scale. Probably plus or minus 1 ounce

    I think it is way worth the weight. There are lighter cozys out there, or you can make your own, but this one fits the JetBoil like a glove well and is really, really easy to use - -at least with the original JetBoil PCS (and presumably the newer Flash and the Sol)

    On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
    I've found that a cozy really expands my cooking options with the JetBoil
     (I have the PCS, the original version of the one-person JetBoil now replaced with the similar Flash and the Sol models)
    .

    A cozy allows me to efficiently cook things like regular pasta, rather than just angel hair, SteelCut Irish Oatmeal rather than instant, tortellini, etc. With a cozy I don't have to try to maintain the JetBoil at a simmer and I don't have to use a lot of fuel for foods that say that they require 10 minutes of more of simmering. (Sometimes repeat simmer-and-steeps are required esp. at altitude where simmering water is not as hot as at sea level)

    The cozy that I
    originally
    found at REI
    (a one liter Outdoor Products insulated bottle holder)
    fi

    the PCS
     perfectly
    . But it
    is no longer carried by REI
    . It
    has become very hard to find
    .

    ut I just stumbled across it again

    It is now offered here

    http://www.opticsplanet.com/outdoor-products-carrying-case-for-bottle-pldpx.html

    The PCS pot size is
    4.1” x 7.1” (104 mm x 180 mm)
    .

    The JetBoil Flash uses the same size pot, so it should work for that as well

    It should also fit the Sol
    and the Titanium Sol
    4.1” x 6.5”.

    Dimensions of the holder 4.25 in outer Diameter by 9 inch high. I don't know the weight but pretty light and if it allows you to use a 110 gram net weight isobutane canister rather than the 220 gram size it is way worth the weight. I get 24 cooked meals out of the 110's in part due to the cozy.

    Looks like this. Insulated with urethane foam and a reflective inner liner.

    Inline image 1

    Link to photo if you can't see it

    One of my favorite weird little things.

    San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
    415-648-9279

  • Darryl
    Message 2 of 10 , Jun 4, 2013
      This is what I purchased on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Optimus-8018269-Heat-Pouch-Black/dp/B005YEQP24

      > I agree about how nice a pot cozy is. Here is one from Antigravitygear
      >
      > http://www.antigravitygear.com/antigravitygear-pouch-cozy.html
    • ravi_jmt2013
      Message 3 of 10 , Jun 4, 2013
        I just finished up a trip today and found that one small Jetboil canister was way more than needed for six days. I ended up flaring off the remaining contents of the canister after breakfast today so I could puncture and recycle the canister (wasn't sure where to donate a used canister and can't take it on flight home). It burned for 28 minutes before dying out. I boiled between 32-40 ounces of water per day and used the Erik the Black pot cozy design. I have the Sol Aluminum model. I'm now confident that I will not need more than one full canister when leaving MTR. I will donate my partially used canister to the hiker barrel when I arrive at MTR and buy a new one. Should be more than enough.

        Erik the Black DIY pot cozy:

        http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/6582/ultralight-backpacking-pot-cozy/

        > I've found that a cozy really expands my cooking options with the JetBoil
        > (I have the PCS, the original version of the one-person JetBoil now
        > replaced with the similar Flash and the Sol models)
        > .
        >

        > A cozy allows me to efficiently cook things like regular pasta, rather than
        > just angel hair, SteelCut Irish Oatmeal rather than instant, tortellini,
        > etc. With a cozy I don't have to try to maintain the JetBoil at a simmer
        > and I don't have to use a lot of fuel for foods that say that they require
        > 10 minutes of more of simmering. (Sometimes repeat simmer-and-steeps are
        > required esp. at altitude where simmering water is not as hot as at sea
        > level)
        >

        > The cozy that I
        > originally
        > found at REI
        > (a one liter Outdoor Products insulated bottle holder)
        > fi
        >
        > the PCS
        > perfectly
        > . But it
        > is no longer carried by REI
        > . It
        > has become very hard to find
        > .

        > ut I just stumbled across it again
        >
        > It is now offered here
        >

        > http://www.opticsplanet.com/outdoor-products-carrying-case-for-bottle-pldpx
        > .html
        >
        > The PCS pot size is
        > 4.1" x 7.1" (104 mm x 180 mm)
        > .
        >
        > The JetBoil Flash uses the same size pot, so it should work for that as well
        >
        > It should also fit the Sol
        > and the Titanium Sol
        > 4.1" x 6.5".
        >
        > Dimensions of the holder 4.25 in outer Diameter by 9 inch high. I don't
        > know the weight but pretty light and if it allows you to use a 110 gram net
        > weight isobutane canister rather than the 220 gram size it is way worth the
        > weight. I get 24 cooked meals out of the 110's in part due to the cozy.
        >
        > Looks like this. Insulated with urethane foam and a reflective inner liner.
        >
        > [image: Inline image 1]
        >

        > Link to photo if you can't see it
        >
        > http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage
        > /ProductImageCompressAll300/A17P_1_20120809_18463919.jpg
        >
        > One of my favorite weird little things.
        >
        > John Curran Ladd
        > 1616 Castro Street
        > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
        > 415-648-9279

      • Joe MacLeish
        Message 4 of 10 , Jun 4, 2013

          I am looking at the three packs (Mariposa, Catalyst, and Flash 62.  I live in the SF Bay area.  I can find the Catalyst in Santa Cruz and the Flash at the various REI's but so far I can't find the Mariposa.  I left a message with the Gossamer Gear Guys but got no reply.  Does anybody know a place in the SF Bay Area that carries the Gossamer Gear Mariposa Pack.
          thanks
          Joe

          .

            Message 6 of 10 , Jun 4, 2013

              If you guys figure out any formatting tricks let me know.  My posts are always loaded with wxtra white space and sometimes ghost attachments.  I'd like t fix that.

[...]

              Image removed by sender. Inline image 1

              Message 7 of 10 , Jun 4, 2013
                oops -- the below was meant to go to John Ladd who asked me about how his posting looked in my inbox.  Google guesses who you mean to email to, so "John" begets Google to slip email target into JohnMuirTrail... versus John Ladd.  I pressed send before seeing Google make that choice.  My bad.  Sorry.  Joe, it was not meant about your posting.
                _