Favorite Recepies?

  • Brian Herrera
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 13, 2008
      Hey all,

      I was wondering what everyone's favorite foods were while backpacking? I usually have a frozen steak that I let defrost in my pack to eat the first night, then it's things like Ramen noodles, pouches of tuna, Clif Bars, and the freeze dried MRE type meals. Of course I always have a healthy supply of trail mix.

      I've heard of things like 1 pan gourmet, and I've seen some people pull off meals in the wilderness that are better than what I eat at home, so I was wondering what everyone's favorite foods to eat while backpacking?

      Brian Herrera

      This message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) and may contain
      information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
      not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the dissemination, distribution or
      copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this message in error, or are not
      the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at either the e-mail address or telephone
      number above and delete this e-mail from your computer. Thank you.

    • hmdsierra
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 13, 2008
        I cook, mostly stuff from the grocery store. I have many good meals
        but one that comes to mind is potatos au gratin with ham, pan fried
        bread on the side and instant pudding for dessert, pistachio preferred.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Herrera" <bherrera@...>
        wrote:

        > Hey all,
        >
        > I was wondering what everyone's favorite foods were while
        backpacking? I usually have a frozen steak that I let defrost in my
        pack to eat the first night, then it's things like Ramen noodles,
        pouches of tuna, Clif Bars, and the freeze dried MRE type meals. Of
        course I always have a healthy supply of trail mix.

        > I've heard of things like 1 pan gourmet, and I've seen some people
        pull off meals in the wilderness that are better than what I eat at
        home, so I was wondering what everyone's favorite foods to eat while
        backpacking?

        > Brian Herrera

        > This message is confidential, intended only for the named
        recipient(s) and may contain
        > information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under
        applicable law. If you are
        > not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the
        dissemination, distribution or
        > copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this
        message in error, or are not
        > the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at either the
        e-mail address or telephone
        > number above and delete this e-mail from your computer. Thank you.

      • Steve Schauer
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 13, 2008
          Check out my meal plan and recipes. It took some serious planning, but the 2 of us ate well. When we ended our hike the only thing my husband really wanted was COLD milk! http://www.johnmuirtrail.org/meals.html
          Claire

          > I was wondering what everyone's favorite foods were
          > while backpacking? I usually have a frozen steak that I let
          > defrost in my pack to eat the first night, then it's
          > things like Ramen noodles, pouches of tuna, Clif Bars, and
          > the freeze dried MRE type meals. Of course I always have a
          > healthy supply of trail mix.
          >
          > I've heard of things like 1 pan gourmet, and I've
          > seen some people pull off meals in the wilderness that are
          > better than what I eat at home, so I was wondering what
          > everyone's favorite foods to eat while backpacking?
          >
          > Brian Herrera

          > This message is confidential, intended only for the named
          > recipient(s) and may contain
          > information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure
          > under applicable law. If you are
          > not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the
          > dissemination, distribution or
          > copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
          > receive this message in error, or are not
          > the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at either
          > the e-mail address or telephone
          > number above and delete this e-mail from your computer.
          > Thank you.

        • Derek Peters
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 14, 2008
            Brian,
            There are too many to list. I've had my staples for 20+ years of rice with butter and various soup mixes added for flavor. I know take Quinoa as well. More protein than rice and offers a different taste. Couscous, walnuts, and Cherries for breakfast is a nice break from Oatmeal.
            Dry kidney beans are nice. Most dry beans can just be soaked and used in anything. I add them to lots of different recipes.

            My sons new favorite is Tree Frog and Rattlesnake stew. Really just a pea soup mix with some cubed SPAM. I also do the frozen steak idea and add the frozen egg pmelette as well.
            Hudson Bay Bread is another staple as is something called Matt Food (Peanut Butter, Oats, powdered milk,...).
            The formers been around for a century, but the latter I got from a book called "Lipsmackin Backpackin". When my son started hiking with me, I got the book to help him find some ideas for food he liked.

            I also like pizza. Dry Boboli pizza sauce into leather strips and take along some dry cheese, dry salami, dry peperoni, and then rehydrate you pizza sauce and put it all on you pita bread.

            Cheesecake is a wonderful mid trip surprise. You can make it with margarine and powered milk.

            Derek

            > I was wondering what everyone's favorite foods were
            > while backpacking? I usually have a frozen steak that I let
            > defrost in my pack to eat the first night, then it's
            > things like Ramen noodles, pouches of tuna, Clif Bars, and
            > the freeze dried MRE type meals. Of course I always have a
            > healthy supply of trail mix.
            >
            > I've heard of things like 1 pan gourmet, and I've
            > seen some people pull off meals in the wilderness that are
            > better than what I eat at home, so I was wondering what
            > everyone's favorite foods to eat while backpacking?
            >
            > Brian Herrera

            > This message is confidential, intended only for the named
            > recipient(s) and may contain
            > information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure
            > under applicable law. If you are
            > not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the
            > dissemination, distribution or
            > copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
            > receive this message in error, or are not
            > the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at either
            > the e-mail address or telephone
            > number above and delete this e-mail from your computer.
            > Thank you.

          • Jennifer
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 14, 2008
              I like flavored couscous mixes (in a box, from any grocery store) and
              add chicken/turkey (freeze dried or pouch). Ditto with stuffing. I
              always add extras (mix/match): pine nuts, sunflower seeds, parmesan
              cheese, spices, etc.

              There are lots of great recipes available through
              www.freezerbagcooking.com, several of which I've used (or altered) on
              the trail. The almond rice recipe with chicken & raisins is very
              good.

              Every couple of days I treat myself to some pudding (made in a
              freezer bag, just add powdered milk and water). Sometimes I'll add
              cookie crumbles to it for texture.

              Jennifer T

              wrote:

              > Hey all,
              >
              > I was wondering what everyone's favorite foods were while
              backpacking? I usually have a frozen steak that I let defrost in my
              pack to eat the first night, then it's things like Ramen noodles,
              pouches of tuna, Clif Bars, and the freeze dried MRE type meals. Of
              course I always have a healthy supply of trail mix.

              > I've heard of things like 1 pan gourmet, and I've seen some people
              pull off meals in the wilderness that are better than what I eat at
              home, so I was wondering what everyone's favorite foods to eat while
              backpacking?

              > Brian Herrera

              > This message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient
              (s) and may contain
              > information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure under
              applicable law. If you are
              > not the intended recipient(s), you are notified that the
              dissemination, distribution or
              > copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this
              message in error, or are not
              > the named recipient(s), please notify the sender at either the e-
              mail address or telephone
              > number above and delete this e-mail from your computer. Thank you.

            • jimr_pdx
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 18, 2008
                My diasnosis of gluten intolerance really threw a wrench into my
                backpacking diet. Very few 'standard' freeze-dry meals are gluten
                free, and my tortellini, instant-oatmeal packs and a few other
                favorites are now out of the rotation. Rice and corn are fine, but
                must be made at home to avoid wheat/barley/rye flous or starches, and
                gluten-free oats are now available.. but I have not come up with a
                routine yet.

                ---