Wild-Ideas Testimonial

  • Gail
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2013
      I’ll be hiking the JMT next month to mark the summer I’m turning 70, so I was thrilled when my daughter and son-in-law told me they were giving me a Bearikade Weekender as a birthday present. But when it arrived the carton it was packaged in had been punctured and when I opened the carton, there was a puncture all the way through the wall of the Bearikade itself! (This had to have resulted from a sharp object plunging through both box and bear can in transit. And to be clear, this was not something a bear could have done â€" not unless the bear had a power drill. And this was a freak incident; Allen at Wild Ideas says that this is only the second time in 10 years a Bearikade has been damaged in transit, and the other time, it had a bullet hole in it.)

      Since my daughter had placed the order for the Bearikade, I asked her to contact Wild Ideas. She did, and here’s what she wrote back to me:

      "I am stunned at how easy they are making this. Allen DeForrest says they have more Weekenders in stock, and he is sending a new one out. He'll also send me an email with a .pdf return packing slip... I am really impressed with the customer service. He could have pushed back on us to prove that the damage happened before we got it, and/or he could have made us wait for the replacement until he received the original one back. He didn't even ask for photos..."

      This was on Tuesday. Allen emailed the return packing slip with return postage paid and also sent me a new Bearikade the very same day. I received my new Bearikade yesterday, three days after my daughter’s phone call.

      So add Wild Ideas to the short list of no-hassle companies :-).
    • The Wilderness Vagabond
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2013
        I too can report that Allen at WildIdeas does good work. Using a telescoping concrete form (cardboard) suggested by Allen, I worked out that 11.25" in length is the maximum Bearikade that will fit in my ULA Catalyst (horizontally). It works out to be 700ci, same as the BV 500, and, of course, much lighter (and more expensive), and more easily used and better crafted, and made in the U.S., and... well, you get the idea. The Bearikade arrived right on time (scheduled around 3 Grand Canyon backpack trips for delivery).

        Here's the latest WV trip report. Hint - it's not about the JMT.

        http://wildernessvagabond.com/maze-2013/maze-2013.htm

        My best to you. Remember, wherever you go there you are! Please see: http://wildernessvagabond.com/ for trip reports and other wild stuff. I hope the aspects of your life that are deja vu all over again -- are the most enjoyable parts of your life, rob of the WV