Backpackers camps

  • Iris
    Message 1 of 12 , May 30, 2013
      Can someone point to me where the info is on the details and costs associated with the backpackers campgrounds at Tuolumne Meadows and Reds Meadow? Thank you for your help.
    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 2 of 12 , May 30, 2013
        For tuolumne - its in the main car camping campground.  Go along the campground road along the river and past the entrance hut, where rangers will be sitting.  The backpackers area is close by but I suggest asking the rangers since although it's close, it can be confusing.  It's a short walk.  It's $5 per site and the sites have bear boxes and campfire pits.  Suggest picking a site away from the notice board, which is where people walk in first, because latecomers will just pitch in your site at night if there's no other obvious spots.  You put the $5 cash in an envelope (provided by the notice board) and clip the receipt to the post in your site.

        On May 30, 2013, at 6:09 PM, Iris <deborahrhoton@...> wrote:

        Can someone point to me where the info is on the details and costs associated with the backpackers campgrounds at Tuolumne Meadows and Reds Meadow? Thank you for your help.

      • cjoslyn99
        Message 3 of 12 , May 30, 2013

          $5 a night...can stay night before permit date and night you get off trail.

          http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bpcamp.htm

          There is also some mention somewhere (can't find it now but search in the messages) about bicylists and people arriving via foot or public transportation being able to use them even if they are not permit holders.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Iris" wrote:

          > Can someone point to me where the info is on the details and costs associated with the backpackers campgrounds at Tuolumne Meadows and Reds Meadow? Thank you for your help.

        • Jim Ringland
          Message 4 of 12 , May 30, 2013

            It's now $5 per person, not per site.  I saw that at the Hetch Hetchy Backpacker's Camp last week.  The Yosemite NP page on the backpacker's camps confirms that's the general arrangement.  See http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/bpcamp.htm

            Jim Ringland

            For tuolumne - its in the main car camping campground.  Go along the campground road along the river and past the entrance hut, where rangers will be sitting.  The backpackers area is close by but I suggest asking the rangers since although it's close, it can be confusing.  It's a short walk.  It's $5 per site and the sites have bear boxes and campfire pits.  Suggest picking a site away from the notice board, which is where people walk in first, because latecomers will just pitch in your site at night if there's no other obvious spots.  You put the $5 cash in an envelope (provided by the notice board) and clip the receipt to the post in your site.

          • Larry Beck
            Message 5 of 12 , May 30, 2013
              I believe the backpackers camp in Red's Meadows is actually the car camping area and it's $20 per site.

              Larry

            • articulate@sbcglobal.net
              Message 6 of 12 , May 30, 2013
                Larry that's correct was there last year on my Jmt hike!

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 12 , May 30, 2013

                  FYI.
                  So I have been working out a partner for a short leg of the SHR route from Roads End in Kings Canyon to Duzy Basin.  I find that my partner is doing an awesome trip with my leg only a small piece.  He starts in June in Yosemite and does the JMT to Whitney then hikes over to Roads End and then back up the SHR to Yosemite.  That is a trip.  Wish I was going with him.

                  Joe

                • Rich Luibrand
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 30, 2013
                    Larry,

                    You are correct in saying that the backpackers campground is one of the sites in the car camping area.  Last year a regular campsite cost $20, but people staying in the backpackers camp are charged per person, ~$5.  To locate the backpacker's campsite ask the camp host which is close to it.

                    Rich

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 30, 2013
                      Iris,

                      As has been pointed out--or not--it's a good idea when you get to TM to not hang out at the store all day, but to get up to the BC and secure a spot.

                      The BC can fill up fast with backpackers as well as bicyclists, dirt-bag climbers, car campers ( who park in the long term then just walk on and pitch for the night) and so on---it's not uncommon for most of these "poachers" to show up late in the evening and set up a tent or just cowboy it---kind of annoying if you are trying to sleep.

                      And yes, five bucks per person at TM

                      I avoid the BC at Reds. It's located on a small corner, across from all the noisy car campers and also maybe fifty yards from the showers/bathroom and not uncommon for folks to skip the late night walk up to the john or shower in favor if all piling in the car, truck, turning on the radio and, hey!!! Driving fifty yards right past the B C.

                      If there are a few of you in the BC you can split the cost, but if you're the only one, they'll ask you to pay the full amount.

                      I usually get into Reds in the afternoon. Eat. Use the phone. Take a HOT shower and then get out around five p.m. ----it's about a two hour dusty, easy grade uphill hike to get to the crater meadows camp. Great water spot and quiet.

                      Bob
                      Whatwouldjohnmuirdo.wordpress.com
                    • targetdoggmechanic
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 31, 2013
                        That sounds awesome Joe, although once I got to WP, I'd be so tempted by a portal burger and night on the town, pizza, saloon, I probably woundnt turn around especially for a butt kicking SHR! I'd be dragged back into civilization for a while.

                        I was actually planning to do that leg of the SHR this year or next also. I was going to do it in a loop, as the southern most portion of the SHR is probably the most challenging logistics wise, and I wouldnt have to shuttle cars and stuff. The rest I can access on the east side and hitch my way around, but due to time off at work it will probably take me 3 separate hikes to bag this complete route, which is probably for the best anyways.

                        I was hoping to do Roads End to Dusy Basin stretch, take the Bishop pass trail down to the JMT at LeConte, then head south, cross Palisade Creek (should be easy this year, done it before and it was waist high), down to Simpson Meadow, then up Granite Pass, close the loop and back to Roads End. Problem is, I have only 7 days. If I start running over schedule, I could omit the Cirque Knapsack, potluck passes and just stay on trail to close the loop. I've done the Roads End to JMT route via simpson meadow before and it's good trail, so that section I should be able to fly through after all the tough XC.

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...> wrote:

                        > FYI.
                        > So I have been working out a partner for a short leg of the SHR route from Roads End in Kings Canyon to Duzy Basin. I find that my partner is doing an awesome trip with my leg only a small piece. He starts in June in Yosemite and does the JMT to Whitney then hikes over to Roads End and then back up the SHR to Yosemite. That is a trip. Wish I was going with him.
                        >
                        > Joe

                      • Joe MacLeish
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 1, 2013

                          I wish it was me doing the loop (Yosemite to WP and back via SHR) but I am only doing the Roads End to Duzy Basin Leg.  My partner on that leg is Michael Petrick (of this group).  He is the guy doing the whole thing. He is taking a day night in lone Pine for a Burger and shower.  Wonder what the permits for his trip look like.

                          Joe

                          That sounds awesome Joe, although once I got to WP, I'd be so tempted by a portal burger and night on the town, pizza, saloon, I probably woundnt turn around especially for a butt kicking SHR! I'd be dragged back into civilization for a while.

                          I was actually planning to do that leg of the SHR this year or next also. I was going to do it in a loop, as the southern most portion of the SHR is probably the most challenging logistics wise, and I wouldnt have to shuttle cars and stuff. The rest I can access on the east side and hitch my way around, but due to time off at work it will probably take me 3 separate hikes to bag this complete route, which is probably for the best anyways.

                          I was hoping to do Roads End to Dusy Basin stretch, take the Bishop pass trail down to the JMT at LeConte, then head south, cross Palisade Creek (should be easy this year, done it before and it was waist high), down to Simpson Meadow, then up Granite Pass, close the loop and back to Roads End. Problem is, I have only 7 days. If I start running over schedule, I could omit the Cirque Knapsack, potluck passes and just stay on trail to close the loop. I've done the Roads End to JMT route via simpson meadow before and it's good trail, so that section I should be able to fly through after all the tough XC.

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...> wrote:

                          > FYI.
                          > So I have been working out a partner for a short leg of the SHR route from Roads End in Kings Canyon to Duzy Basin. I find that my partner is doing an awesome trip with my leg only a small piece. He starts in June in Yosemite and does the JMT to Whitney then hikes over to Roads End and then back up the SHR to Yosemite. That is a trip. Wish I was going with him.
                          >
                          > Joe

                        • sriprank
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 1, 2013
                            I looked at that way last year but it was easier to go in at Onion Valley hike down Bubb's Creek to Roads End and come out over Bishop and hitch back to Onion Valley. Of course we couldn't find Frozen Lake Pass so ended up going over Cartridge Pass back to the JMT and out OV. I still have to do Frozen Lake to Dusy Basin. I've done the rest.