YARTS from Yosemite to Mammoth?

  • johnlowe2000
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2013
      We are planning to leave our car in Yosemite Valley and catch a shuttle down to Mammoth to hike north. Can anyone provide some information on the logistics?
    • cjoslyn99
      Message 2 of 5 , May 30, 2013

        There is only one YARTS from Yosemite Valley to Mammoth - leaves around 5pm and gets to mammoth around 9pm.  Check the 120E/395 schedule:  http://www.yarts.com/schedules.html

        There is a possiblity of taking a combination of the Tuolumne Meadows Hiker Bus and YARTS to get into Mammoth earlier but you will have to be able to catch the hiker shuttle relatively early in the morning (http://www.yosemitepark.com/tuolumne-meadows-tour.aspx) and then pick up one of the special YARTS runs that they do b/w Tuolumne Meadows and Mammoth only in July / August (again see their schedule on that) but I think you'll have a bit of a layover in Tuolumen Meadows.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "johnlowe2000" wrote:

        > We are planning to leave our car in Yosemite Valley and catch a shuttle down to Mammoth to hike north. Can anyone provide some information on the logistics?

      • Larry Beck
        Message 3 of 5 , May 30, 2013
          John,

          If you want to avoid an extra day at each end of this trek you might consider just parking at Mammoth Lakes at the Mammoth Mountain Inn. You can take the Red's Meadows Shuttle down to Agnew Meadows, Devil's Postpile, or Red's Meadows and hike out that same day. When you arrive at Yosemite some days later you can grab the evening YARTS bus back to Mammoth Lakes. The last stop is the Mammoth Mountain Inn. You could then stay there for a night or just drive home.

          Larry

          Message 4 of 5 , May 31, 2013
            Thanks guys, that gives us some options. Glad I asked, was thinking that it left the Valley at 5 am, not pm.
            John

            Message 5 of 5 , May 31, 2013
              You might think of a car swap. Leave your car at Yosemite and find out if someone in this group headed Southbound would like to have their car at Whitney Portal. You walk North toward your car. They walk South towards theirs. You are both happier. Requires some trust, of course.

              John