FYI on current conditions from Agnew Meadow to 1000 Island Lake

  • treeve17
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2013
      Hello everyone. Over the Memorial Day weekend (Sat, Sun Mon) I backpacked from Agnew Meadow to 1000 Island Lake via Ediza Lake, past Garnet Lake, returning via PCT (High Trail). Conditions are consistent with other reports -- trail obscured by snow above ~9000. Below 9k conditions were good, with some boggy or muddy areas. Had to make my own way around or over the snow, with some backtracking when I stuck somewhere. My route was about 8 miles per day, but I expended a lot of extra energy in dealing with the snow, so these were tough hiking days for me. Doable, but tiring. If you're going soon in that area expect to work a little harder and get from point A to point B without a trail under your feet the whole way. One note, as of last Saturday, Ediza Lake and the trail leading to it are completely snow covered and frozen. I got to Ediza and decided to backtrack to dry ground to camp -- though the view there was stunning. The trip was worth the effort as it was gratifying to see the mountains "waking up" from winter. Second note -- I should have paid attention to the posts about pole straps. I postholed to my hips and bent the lower section of one pole. If I could have let go of the pole, I wouldn't now be facing repair or replacement of the my trekking poles. Live and learn. -Tom