Re: iPhone GPS

  • josh9561
    Message 1 of 20 , May 27 3:31 PM
      I havent tested this but I've been told The John Muir Trail App for 20$ is a digital version of Tom Harrisons Maps and you can overlay your current position on them with airplane mode on and just location services on. I have tested my app locally and it seems to allow a position lock with airplane mode on. Reviews online say the same thing. I think this is only true for Iphone 4 and better. I have it as a back up. I have a garmin Oregon 400t and the PCT map pack from garmin downloaded. Without the PCT overlay the JMT is still visible on the topo map. I also have the Harrison hard copy.

      http://www.freenew.net/iphone/john-muir-trail-map-11/346338.htm

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ekonae" <ekonae@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I am going to be taking my iPhone for GPS and and was wondering if anyone has had any issues with getting a consistent location using it along the trail?
      >
      > Thanks for all the great info everyone, it's been really helpful for planning.

    • Hank Ward
      Message 2 of 20 , May 27 9:34 PM
        Actually there is a way around that. If you go to Settings>Phone>Sim Pin and put a pin code on your SIM card. When you reboot the iPhone and its asks for a pin code for the SIM card just hit cancel and the sim will be disabled. Turn off wifi and Bluetooth but keep Location Services turned on and your good to go. The phone will not use power looking for the network as long as the sim is locked. To unlock just enter the pin code and it will reenable the sim.
        It will still use a lot of battery if you have the GPS on full time but for occasionally checking your location with an app like Topo Maps it works great. Just make sure to kill the app when you are done using it so it doesn't continue to track in the background

        Hank

        Sent from my iPhone
      • Hank Ward
        Message 3 of 20 , May 27 9:42 PM
          This link describes how to lock your SIM card and keep GPS function for your iPhone. This works well with AT&T phones

          Hank

          Sent from my iPad
        • Hank Ward
          Message 4 of 20 , May 27 10:06 PM
            If the phone is in Airplane mode all antenna are off including GPS. Use a sim pin to turn off the cellular network , turn off Bluetooth and wifi. Keep Location Services on and the GPS works great while using very little battery power. The Harrison app is a digital version of the map set and the GPS will mark your location.

            Hank

            Sent from my iPad
          • larock1971@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 20 , May 27 10:35 PM
              This is the trick I use. Just be cautious, three successive incorrect PIN entries will lock the SIM requiring a call to your carrier for the PUK (PIN Unlock Key) to fix things. Also this trick I doesn't work with Verizon iPhones 4 or 4S, it does with Verizon's iPhone 5.

              Message 6 of 20 , May 28 5:24 AM
                Most brilliant!  Are you 100% certain Battery Life is same as airplane mode if no GPS app is used?

                Sent from my iPhone
                See my Google Profile for interesting research links:
                http://tinyurl.com/3vnolh8

                  Message 8 of 20 , May 28 7:54 AM
                    Any ideas on this or the gps add-on unit for Android (Galaxy 4)?

                    Henry
                  • sriprank
                    Message 9 of 20 , May 28 8:05 AM
                      Don't have one but everyone loves Backcountry Navigator.

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Henry Egghart <hegghart@...> wrote:

                      > Any ideas on this or the gps add-on unit for Android (Galaxy 4)?
                      >
                      > Henry

                    • Henry Egghart
                      Message 10 of 20 , May 28 8:40 AM
                        Any ideas on this for Android?

                        Henry
                      • Hank Ward
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 28 8:45 AM
                          Pretty sure. I know without the SIM card activated it is the same as removing it therefore preventing the phone from using the cellular network.

                          Sent from my iPad
                          Message 12 of 20 , May 28 8:58 AM
                            Nice thread, group.

                            For future reference, I've added a link to the thread in our Maps and Navigation - GPS folder

                            Any further contributions to this thread (e.g., comments/ideas re other carriers or other phones) will be included in the link

                            John
                          • km_9830
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 28 9:07 AM
                              On Android, try out Osmand from the Google play store.

                              For a minimum amount of money, you can get maps too, street maps as well as contour maps. The one I have even has the JMT and PCT in the California maps. You can add your own GPX tracks as well.

                              I haven't taken it on the JMT, but so far, I have found it reliable when I am out of cell phone range, except for the fact that the Android phone eats up battery life, so I wouldn't really use it for continuous tracking. But it is good enough to locate a bear box or a camp site when you approach it, or to get you re-oriented if you happen to get a little lost.

                              I will be taking my Android phone this trip in July, but mainly to coordinate at the end of the trip.

                              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Henry Egghart <hegghart@...> wrote:

                              > Any ideas on this for Android?
                              >
                              > Henry

                            • cjoslyn99
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 28 1:30 PM
                                I used the Harrison JMT app for iPhone in 2011 and 2012. In 2011, the
                                GPS seemed terrible and I wonder if it was a function of the snow or
                                just not waiting long enough for it to lock. It would show my position
                                miles off (i.e., like where I was hours ago).

                                Last year, it seemed pretty accurate. Thing to remember is iPhone uses
                                an aGPS chip, so while it works great in areas w/ cell towers, if it has
                                to rely solely on locking a satellite, it will take some time and won't
                                be as accurate. I just liked being able to place myself on the map
                                without pulling out my map.

                                In terms of battery issues, I only take the iPhone out of Airplane mode
                                as needed to spot check my position on the map, so there is not much
                                cost associated with that.

                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ekonae" wrote:

                                > Hello,
                                >
                                > I am going to be taking my iPhone for GPS and and was wondering if
                                anyone has had any issues with getting a consistent location using it
                                along the trail?

                                > Thanks for all the great info everyone, it's been really helpful for
                                planning.

                              • ekonae
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 28 9:21 PM
                                  That's good to know cjoslyn99, I was concerned with the gps being able to get a lock on my location throughout the hike. It sounds like it can do it, it just may take a while sometimes. I have found that if you take it out of airplane mode and check your location every 30 minutes or so, the gps doesn't take as long to find you versus waiting 1-2 hours to check your progress.

                                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "cjoslyn99" <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

                                  > I used the Harrison JMT app for iPhone in 2011 and 2012. In 2011, the
                                  > GPS seemed terrible and I wonder if it was a function of the snow or
                                  > just not waiting long enough for it to lock. It would show my position
                                  > miles off (i.e., like where I was hours ago).
                                  >
                                  > Last year, it seemed pretty accurate. Thing to remember is iPhone uses
                                  > an aGPS chip, so while it works great in areas w/ cell towers, if it has
                                  > to rely solely on locking a satellite, it will take some time and won't
                                  > be as accurate. I just liked being able to place myself on the map
                                  > without pulling out my map.
                                  >
                                  > In terms of battery issues, I only take the iPhone out of Airplane mode
                                  > as needed to spot check my position on the map, so there is not much
                                  > cost associated with that.
                                  >

                                  > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "ekonae" wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hello,
                                  > >
                                  > > I am going to be taking my iPhone for GPS and and was wondering if
                                  > anyone has had any issues with getting a consistent location using it
                                  > along the trail?
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks for all the great info everyone, it's been really helpful for
                                  > planning.

                                • Henry Egghart
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 29 6:12 AM
                                    Thanks all!

                                    Henry
                                  • craigstanton1980
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 29 12:50 PM
                                      That's a great tip. I'll be traveling to the US in June and though I want my iPhone with me I want to be absolutely sure I don't come home to find an astronomical bill for roaming.
                                      While out there on the JMT I'll be testing out some enhancements to my iPhone app made for when I need maps outside of cellphone range (or when deliberately disabled such as avoiding roaming charges). It's called TiledMaps and if anyone here is willing to try it out I'd gladly issue you a copy before the new features hit the iTunes store, all I ask is that you give me feedback afterwards so I know how to improve it for the general public. The current version just does maps, the new one adds transparent maps and GPX files. I've already prepared USGS maps that cover Yosemite to Whitney with nice elevation shading courtesy of CalTopo.com and I have GPX files with the JMT location and waypoints. Contact me off list if you can see my email, or via the contact form on wildmansoftware.com (I'm a bit paranoid about giving my email address publicly as my spam count increases every time I do).

                                      Cheers,
                                      Craig aka SunWalker.