Re: Supplements

  • Darryl
    Message 1 of 12 , May 26 9:03 PM
      I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis and have been giving myself weekly Enbrel shots for several years. As I won't have access to refrigeration on the trail, I will stop taking Enbrel during this period. I discussed this with my Rheumatologist and Dermatologist. The rheumatologist prescribed Prednisone in case I start to ache. I was going to try a dry run of Enbrel now to see whether there would be any effects of going off it, but my dermatologist said that it stays in my system for several weeks, so I should continue using it until I go on the JMT in mid-August.
      I am cautious about taking Advil frequently because after doing a half marathon a couple of years ago, I had blood in my stool from over-use. My go-to painkiller is Tylenol because it is not as harsh on my system.

      Darryl

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl" <dabrahms@...> wrote:

      > Ravi mentioned in an earlier post that he takes Glucosamine. I took them for about six months but then stopped because I didn't know whether they were making a difference. I now take Tumeric concentrate (Curcumin 95) and it initially seemed to help, but now I'm not so sure if it still makes a difference. I also take Costco's Kirkland multi-vitamin pack, fish oil and vitamin D, every day, and I intend to keep doing so on the trail. I'm interested to know what your opinion and experience is with supplements. Thanks.
      > Darryl

    • Deborah Rhoton
      Message 2 of 12 , May 27 2:24 PM
        Darryl,

        Nice to meet you! I too have Psoriatic Arthritis.  I have been on Enbrel a number of years myself and faced the same concerns on my hike last year. I had a dose on the day I left and a dose the day I got back. I did not worry about missing doses while on the trail but medicated with Arthritis strength Tylenol as needed. You may be able to get a prescription strength anti-inflammatory from your rheumatologist such as Diclofinac or Feldene if you think you may need something stronger. These medications however don't work as quickly as the Tylenol, in my opinion.  I did not seem to have any issues arise from arthritic pain in my joints. Just the usual OMG I just hiked 12 mi and over a 12,000 ft pass kind of pain. :-) I would be a little concerned with taking prednisone as it can weaken your immune system as well. I prefer to have as strong an immune system as possible while out in the back country. I should say however, I am not a rheumatologist but I am a Registered Nurse. With that...always consult with your physician first.
        Best wishes for a happy and pain free hike!

        Deb

        Sent from my iPad

        On May 26, 2013, at 11:03 PM, "Darryl" <dabrahms@...> wrote:

        I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis and have been giving myself weekly Enbrel shots for several years. As I won't have access to refrigeration on the trail, I will stop taking Enbrel during this period. I discussed this with my Rheumatologist and Dermatologist. The rheumatologist prescribed Prednisone in case I start to ache. I was going to try a dry run of Enbrel now to see whether there would be any effects of going off it, but my dermatologist said that it stays in my system for several weeks, so I should continue using it until I go on the JMT in mid-August.
        I am cautious about taking Advil frequently because after doing a half marathon a couple of years ago, I had blood in my stool from over-use. My go-to painkiller is Tylenol because it is not as harsh on my system.

        Darryl

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl" <dabrahms@...> wrote:

        > Ravi mentioned in an earlier post that he takes Glucosamine. I took them for about six months but then stopped because I didn't know whether they were making a difference. I now take Tumeric concentrate (Curcumin 95) and it initially seemed to help, but now I'm not so sure if it still makes a difference. I also take Costco's Kirkland multi-vitamin pack, fish oil and vitamin D, every day, and I intend to keep doing so on the trail. I'm interested to know what your opinion and experience is with supplements. Thanks.
        > Darryl

      • Byron
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2013
          Vitamins are one of the greatest marketing scams in history. Proven in countless studies to be useless. Actually, a little bit worse than not taking vitamins. Nevertheless 150,000,000 people pour money into these placebos in the US.

          http://www.wellsource.com/articles-mhc/Do-Multivitamins-Make-You-Healthier.html

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl" <dabrahms@...> wrote:

          > Ravi mentioned in an earlier post that he takes Glucosamine. I took them for about six months but then stopped because I didn't know whether they were making a difference. I now take Tumeric concentrate (Curcumin 95) and it initially seemed to help, but now I'm not so sure if it still makes a difference. I also take Costco's Kirkland multi-vitamin pack, fish oil and vitamin D, every day, and I intend to keep doing so on the trail. I'm interested to know what your opinion and experience is with supplements. Thanks.
          > Darryl

        • Byron
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1, 2013
            Here's what's interesting, and ironic, about 21st century thinking. Finally after thousands of years of medical nonsense and trial and error we have REAL medicine. It's amazing! Destroyed your knee? No problem - get a fake knee put in. Heart arteries all clogged up? No sweat, we'll just stop your heart for a couple hours and fix it all up. Vicious deadly infection, don't worry we have magic pills. High blood pressure? Take these pills. Don't want 90% of your children to die of Small Pox, Diptheria, Rubella, Mumps, Cholera, etc., etc., etc., etc. also no problem -- here take this one shot and they won't die from those diseases.

            The irony is that we still don't believe the practioners of these miracles! What? The Orthopedic surgeons say that Glucosamine is useless and not to take it? What do they know? I'm taking it just in case! Vitamins are proven to be useless? I'm in!

            I for one will ignore the self-serving braying of the marketeers and listen to the doctors and scientists.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Rhoton <deborahrhoton@...> wrote:

            > Darryl,
            >
            > Nice to meet you! I too have Psoriatic Arthritis. I have been on Enbrel a number of years myself and faced the same concerns on my hike last year. I had a dose on the day I left and a dose the day I got back. I did not worry about missing doses while on the trail but medicated with Arthritis strength Tylenol as needed. You may be able to get a prescription strength anti-inflammatory from your rheumatologist such as Diclofinac or Feldene if you think you may need something stronger. These medications however don't work as quickly as the Tylenol, in my opinion. I did not seem to have any issues arise from arthritic pain in my joints. Just the usual OMG I just hiked 12 mi and over a 12,000 ft pass kind of pain. :-) I would be a little concerned with taking prednisone as it can weaken your immune system as well. I prefer to have as strong an immune system as possible while out in the back country. I should say however, I am not a rheumatologist but I am a Registered Nurse. With that...always consult with your physician first.
            > Best wishes for a happy and pain free hike!
            >
            > Deb
            >
            > Sent from my iPad
            >
            > On May 26, 2013, at 11:03 PM, "Darryl" <dabrahms@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis and have been giving myself weekly Enbrel shots for several years. As I won't have access to refrigeration on the trail, I will stop taking Enbrel during this period. I discussed this with my Rheumatologist and Dermatologist. The rheumatologist prescribed Prednisone in case I start to ache. I was going to try a dry run of Enbrel now to see whether there would be any effects of going off it, but my dermatologist said that it stays in my system for several weeks, so I should continue using it until I go on the JMT in mid-August.
            > > I am cautious about taking Advil frequently because after doing a half marathon a couple of years ago, I had blood in my stool from over-use. My go-to painkiller is Tylenol because it is not as harsh on my system.
            > >
            > > Darryl
            > >
            > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl" <dabrahms@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Ravi mentioned in an earlier post that he takes Glucosamine. I took them for about six months but then stopped because I didn't know whether they were making a difference. I now take Tumeric concentrate (Curcumin 95) and it initially seemed to help, but now I'm not so sure if it still makes a difference. I also take Costco's Kirkland multi-vitamin pack, fish oil and vitamin D, every day, and I intend to keep doing so on the trail. I'm interested to know what your opinion and experience is with supplements. Thanks.
            > > > Darryl

          • Barbara Karagosian
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 1, 2013
              hear, hear!  Byron.