Re: Current conditions

  • k2poohtri
    Message 1 of 10 , May 26, 2013
      I'm wondering if the early starters, such as myself, should have an ice ax? By time I get to Forester it will be around June 16th.

      I've never used one soma super quick crash course would be essential.

      Do you think the ice ax would be overkill by mid-June?

      Korina

      Message 2 of 10 , May 26, 2013
        On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 6:43 AM, k2poohtri <k2pooh15@...> wrote:
        Do you think the ice ax would be overkill by mid-June?

        Yes. Assuming there is much snow left, there will probably be quite a deep trench you will walk in, created by prior NoBo PCT hikers, and deepened by SoBo JMT hikers.

        It's possible that there will be some icy stretches if you start early in the morning and get up high before the sun reaches the snow but, if so, wait until they soften up.

        Afternoon postholing may be the biggest issue, if any. Getting over a pass by noon should help with this.

        As you recognize, if you do carry an ice ax, get some training. It's not intuitive how to use for self-arrest. Self-belay is more intuitive and easier to learn, maybe simple enough that this video and some practice would do the trick.

        My opinion only.

      • k2poohtri
        Message 3 of 10 , May 26, 2013
          Thanks John, now my UL BP is no longer UL as safety is first. I've just purchased Kahtoola microspikes http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes_details.php and have an ice axe rental on hold at Wilson's Sports in Bishop.

          Ive been watching videos and the first snow field I hit I'll be practicing self-arrestsing. So if you see someone in the Donohue Pass area just flopping around, kind of playing in the snow, that could be me. :-)

          Korina

          Message 4 of 10 , May 27, 2013
            Another Facebook current conditions report, this one from Vince Leo:

            Waiting out a storm in Mammoth Lakes, going to hit the trail on
            Wednesday. The JMT is hikeable - depending on the definition of this
            term. On the north sides of passes and mountains, there's significant
            amounts of snow above 9.000 - 9.500 ft., on the south sides and
            plateaus, above 10.000ft.

            I could NOT have done the 60 miles from Happy Isles to Reds Meadows
            without hiking poles.

            Unless you you've hiked it before, I recommend usng GPS, as you will
            definitely lose the actual trail quite often.

            Night temperatures: freezing! Mid 20s in Tuolumne Meadows, 10s above
            9.000ft. The moisture from breathing is frozen all over my tent every
            morning.

            BUT: it is absolutely beautiful up there. Had the trails, passes,
            peaks, camp sites all to myself. Have not passed any JMT/PCT hikers
            and not encountered any northbound hikers either.

            It's the hike of a lifetime already. See you up there!
          • cjoslyn99
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 4, 2015

              There is a NOBO PCT hiker who has been posting videos for JMT section on his Facebook page:

              https://www.facebook.com/randy.berton

              He seems to be in Reds Meadow now.

              The page doesn't to require you to be a "friend."  You just a FB account.  So if you're interested, can check it out and literally see what it's been like over the past week or so.

            • casey.cox@att.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 4, 2015

                According to the current Doppler radar it's snowing in the Yosemite high country right now.

                Casey

                Sonora Pass Resupply

                ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <cjoslyn99@...> wrote :

                There is a NOBO PCT hiker who has been posting videos for JMT section on his Facebook page:

                https://www.facebook.com/randy.berton

                He seems to be in Reds Meadow now.

                The page doesn't to require you to be a "friend."  You just a FB account.  So if you're interested, can check it out and literally see what it's been like over the past week or so.

              • ravi_jmt2013
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 4, 2015
                  I'm on the bus from Reno to LP and it has been raining the entire way. Dense clouds over Mammoth! Crazy spring weather continues!