T meadows to north park questions

  • dhmorrad
    Message 1 of 6 , May 26, 2013
      Hello,

      I was hoping to get some feedback on my June 20th hike from T meadows to north lake.

      My plan is to leave a car at a parking lot in North lake campground area. Next we will drive to bishop and stay in a hotel. Next morning we will do the whole bus to mammoth then Yosemite deal.

      Hike the next morning for about two weeks back to the first car and then go pick up the second in bishop. Dont know where that will be parked yet.

      Questions

      1. Does a lot exist in North lake that will allow us to just leave a car waiting for us.

      2. Is it possible to hike from T meadows to north lake without knowledge of the area? We will have the JMT map pack

      3. Will water ever be an issue?

      Thanks so much for the replies and happy camping
    • dhmorrad
      Message 2 of 6 , May 26, 2013
        Sorry title should be to north lake, not north park!

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, dhmorrad <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I was hoping to get some feedback on my June 20th hike from T meadows to north lake.
        >
        > My plan is to leave a car at a parking lot in North lake campground area. Next we will drive to bishop and stay in a hotel. Next morning we will do the whole bus to mammoth then Yosemite deal.
        >
        > Hike the next morning for about two weeks back to the first car and then go pick up the second in bishop. Dont know where that will be parked yet.
        >
        > Questions
        >
        > 1. Does a lot exist in North lake that will allow us to just leave a car waiting for us.
        >
        > 2. Is it possible to hike from T meadows to north lake without knowledge of the area? We will have the JMT map pack
        >
        > 3. Will water ever be an issue?
        >

        > Thanks so much for the replies and happy camping

      • Joe MacLeish
        Message 3 of 6 , May 26, 2013

          Morrad:

          Luckily all easy questions.  Yes on parking lot at North Lake and overflow parking lot if needed.  Yes on easy to hike JMT without knowledge of area.  Talk to people as you hike about the trail ahead.  If you can get lost on the JMT it's Darwin in action.  It's a very clear trail .  If you can use a compass and map set you're good.  The snow reports seem to say there is some snow on the North facing slopes of the high passes (now). That means maybe a little slogging but unlikely to get lost - maybe off the trail for a bit but not lost.  On the rare occasion that I get off the trail I just say where should it be and mostly it's there.   As far as water goes read the files attached to the site but generally the only long stretch is from after Reds Meadow to Duck Creek.  You might even be able to find a little spring  in June.

          Joe

          Sorry title should be to north lake, not north park!

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, dhmorrad <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I was hoping to get some feedback on my June 20th hike from T meadows to north lake.
          >
          > My plan is to leave a car at a parking lot in North lake campground area. Next we will drive to bishop and stay in a hotel. Next morning we will do the whole bus to mammoth then Yosemite deal.
          >
          > Hike the next morning for about two weeks back to the first car and then go pick up the second in bishop. Dont know where that will be parked yet.
          >
          > Questions
          >
          > 1. Does a lot exist in North lake that will allow us to just leave a car waiting for us.
          >
          > 2. Is it possible to hike from T meadows to north lake without knowledge of the area? We will have the JMT map pack
          >
          > 3. Will water ever be an issue?
          >

          > Thanks so much for the replies and happy camping

        • zoey_leb
          Message 4 of 6 , May 27, 2013
            At North Lake, there are limited spots by the trailhead that are intended for the campground. Backpackers are supposed to park in a lot about a half mile away. With good timing, you can catch a ride.

            Why are you leaving the second car in Bishop and not at your trailhead at TM?

            Message 5 of 6 , May 27, 2013

              Morrad:

              Zoey is rightish, the parking is at North Lake, the trailhead is about 1/2 mile up the road.  You probably are locked in on your route at this point which means cutting out at the park boundary (the bridge at Piute camp) and on to North Lake but...  If you go a little further and out over Bishop Pass (to Bishop) you pick up what is arguably one of the best stretches of the JMT.  This includes Evolution Meadow, Evolution Lake, Muir Pass, Leconte Canyon, and Duzy Basin and of course  Bishop Pass (not so arguable).  You end up at South Lake/Sabrina and it's the same run down to Bishop as from North Lake.  It might add 2 days to the trip but is so worth it.  By the by I and many others hitch hike down to Bishop and never have a problem.

              Joe

              Message 6 of 6 , May 30, 2013

                Morrad:

                I tried to reply to your offline email about the Bishop Pass route but it bounced.  Send me another offline email and I will reply.  Basically go over Muir Pass down LeConte Canyon and up the Bishop Pass Trail to the Sabrina Lake Trailhead and out to Bishop on the same road that goes to North Lake.

                Joe