Re: steripen bottle

  • John
    Message 1 of 5 , May 26, 2013
      I use a wide mouth bike/sports bottle.

      JD

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "darrendrk" wrote:

      > I have been I steripen user for about a year now, and I plan on taking one on the JMT in august. Its fast and light weight and conveiniet. Its only downside is it needs a wide mouth bottle like a nalgene to go with it. The opening on all the gatorade bottles i have found are just too small to effectively sterilize the water. Any ideas on a lighter weight convenient container to sterilize the water in?

    • dave.thofern
      Message 2 of 5 , May 26, 2013
        I use a medium Ziploc Twist 'N Loc container. The Steripen Opti just fits inside. Once the lid is screwed on the Steripen (without its case) doesn't rattle around inside. The Ziploc holds 950 ml so it works out well to set the Steripen to zap one liter. The Ziploc weighs less than 2 oz.

        Dave

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "darrendrk" <darrendrk@...> wrote:

        > I have been I steripen user for about a year now, and I plan on taking one on the JMT in august. Its fast and light weight and conveiniet. Its only downside is it needs a wide mouth bottle like a nalgene to go with it. The opening on all the gatorade bottles i have found are just too small to effectively sterilize the water. Any ideas on a lighter weight convenient container to sterilize the water in?

      • Stephen Kundell
        Message 3 of 5 , May 26, 2013
          i use the steripen opti. i ose vitamin water containers for my water
          bottles and i have modified the screw tops by drilling a snug hole for
          the quartz tube, and a smaller one for the light. It takes a second to
          get on and off, and is snug enough so water does not leak when tuned
          upside down. took a while to get it right.