Current conditions

    Message 1 of 10 , May 25, 2013
      Here's a current conditions report from the Facebook group, similar to what John Dittle recently reported.

      Got to VVR earlier today, just had a nice dinner (look forward for the BBQ Sat night!). Here are some trail conditions: Above 8000 feet snow starts to apear, in Yosemite NP Sunrise campground is where you start getting larger patches of snow. about two miles prior to Donohue pass (South bound) the trail disappears under the white blanket, and stays covered for a long while (I hardly walked on trail nor on dirt in this section). It gets better towards Shadow lake, and stays pretty good till Duck Creek. The section from Duck Cr. to VVR is good for the most part, the north faces are always snowy anywhere above 9000 ft.
      A PCT hiker I met here at VVR say pretty much the same about the section south from here, from Selden pass south, all the passes are snowy for a few miles north from the passes. Apparently Forster pass has some ice walls.
      Over all, good conditions for this time of year, the snow is not too bad and already have some tracks in it now, plus the PCTers are starting to go by now. Happy Trails!

    • Chris
      Message 2 of 10 , May 25, 2013
        Good to finally hear a report on trail conditions. I am joining the trail south from Reds Meadow on Wednesday so this info eases my mind a good bit. Now I just need the the weather to stay cooperative...

        Chris

        > Here's a current conditions report from the Facebook group, similar to what
        > John Dittle recently reported.
        >
        > Got to VVR earlier today, just had a nice dinner (look forward for the BBQ
        > Sat night!). Here are some trail conditions: Above 8000 feet snow starts to
        > apear, in Yosemite NP Sunrise campground is where you start getting larger
        > patches of snow. about two miles prior to Donohue pass (South bound) the
        > trail disappears under the white blanket, and stays covered for a long
        > while (I hardly walked on trail nor on dirt in this section). It gets
        > better towards Shadow lake, and stays pretty good till Duck Creek. The
        > section from Duck Cr. to VVR is good for the most part, the north faces are
        > always snowy anywhere above 9000 ft.
        > A PCT hiker I met here at VVR say pretty much the same about the section
        > south from here, from Selden pass south, all the passes are snowy for a few
        > miles north from the passes. Apparently Forster pass has some ice walls.
        > Over all, good conditions for this time of year, the snow is not too bad
        > and already have some tracks in it now, plus the PCTers are starting to go
        > by now. Happy Trails!
        >
        > John Curran Ladd
        > 1616 Castro Street
        > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
        > 415-648-9279

      • casey
        Message 3 of 10 , May 26, 2013
          A slightly different report of Forester Pass than the one by Mr. Shivtic almost a month ago.

          > Here's a current conditions report from the Facebook group, similar to what
          > John Dittle recently reported.
          >
          > Got to VVR earlier today, just had a nice dinner (look forward for the BBQ
          > Sat night!). Here are some trail conditions: Above 8000 feet snow starts to
          > apear, in Yosemite NP Sunrise campground is where you start getting larger
          > patches of snow. about two miles prior to Donohue pass (South bound) the
          > trail disappears under the white blanket, and stays covered for a long
          > while (I hardly walked on trail nor on dirt in this section). It gets
          > better towards Shadow lake, and stays pretty good till Duck Creek. The
          > section from Duck Cr. to VVR is good for the most part, the north faces are
          > always snowy anywhere above 9000 ft.
          > A PCT hiker I met here at VVR say pretty much the same about the section
          > south from here, from Selden pass south, all the passes are snowy for a few
          > miles north from the passes. Apparently Forster pass has some ice walls.
          > Over all, good conditions for this time of year, the snow is not too bad
          > and already have some tracks in it now, plus the PCTers are starting to go
          > by now. Happy Trails!
          >
          > John Curran Ladd
          > 1616 Castro Street
          > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
          > 415-648-9279

        • k2poohtri
          Message 4 of 10 , May 26, 2013
            I'm wondering if the early starters, such as myself, should have an ice ax? By time I get to Forester it will be around June 16th.

            I've never used one soma super quick crash course would be essential.

            Do you think the ice ax would be overkill by mid-June?

            Korina

            Message 5 of 10 , May 26, 2013
              On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 6:43 AM, k2poohtri <k2pooh15@...> wrote:
              Do you think the ice ax would be overkill by mid-June?

              Yes. Assuming there is much snow left, there will probably be quite a deep trench you will walk in, created by prior NoBo PCT hikers, and deepened by SoBo JMT hikers.

              It's possible that there will be some icy stretches if you start early in the morning and get up high before the sun reaches the snow but, if so, wait until they soften up.

              Afternoon postholing may be the biggest issue, if any. Getting over a pass by noon should help with this.

              As you recognize, if you do carry an ice ax, get some training. It's not intuitive how to use for self-arrest. Self-belay is more intuitive and easier to learn, maybe simple enough that this video and some practice would do the trick.

              My opinion only.

            • k2poohtri
              Message 6 of 10 , May 26, 2013
                Thanks John, now my UL BP is no longer UL as safety is first. I've just purchased Kahtoola microspikes http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes_details.php and have an ice axe rental on hold at Wilson's Sports in Bishop.

                Ive been watching videos and the first snow field I hit I'll be practicing self-arrestsing. So if you see someone in the Donohue Pass area just flopping around, kind of playing in the snow, that could be me. :-)

                Korina

                Message 7 of 10 , May 27, 2013
                  Another Facebook current conditions report, this one from Vince Leo:

                  Waiting out a storm in Mammoth Lakes, going to hit the trail on
                  Wednesday. The JMT is hikeable - depending on the definition of this
                  term. On the north sides of passes and mountains, there's significant
                  amounts of snow above 9.000 - 9.500 ft., on the south sides and
                  plateaus, above 10.000ft.

                  I could NOT have done the 60 miles from Happy Isles to Reds Meadows
                  without hiking poles.

                  Unless you you've hiked it before, I recommend usng GPS, as you will
                  definitely lose the actual trail quite often.

                  Night temperatures: freezing! Mid 20s in Tuolumne Meadows, 10s above
                  9.000ft. The moisture from breathing is frozen all over my tent every
                  morning.

                  BUT: it is absolutely beautiful up there. Had the trails, passes,
                  peaks, camp sites all to myself. Have not passed any JMT/PCT hikers
                  and not encountered any northbound hikers either.

                  It's the hike of a lifetime already. See you up there!
                • cjoslyn99
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 4

                    There is a NOBO PCT hiker who has been posting videos for JMT section on his Facebook page:

                    https://www.facebook.com/randy.berton

                    He seems to be in Reds Meadow now.

                    The page doesn't to require you to be a "friend."  You just a FB account.  So if you're interested, can check it out and literally see what it's been like over the past week or so.

                  • casey.cox@att.net
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 4

                      According to the current Doppler radar it's snowing in the Yosemite high country right now.

                      Casey

                      Sonora Pass Resupply

                      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <cjoslyn99@...> wrote :

                      There is a NOBO PCT hiker who has been posting videos for JMT section on his Facebook page:

                      https://www.facebook.com/randy.berton

                      He seems to be in Reds Meadow now.

                      The page doesn't to require you to be a "friend."  You just a FB account.  So if you're interested, can check it out and literally see what it's been like over the past week or so.

                    • ravi_jmt2013
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 4
                        I'm on the bus from Reno to LP and it has been raining the entire way. Dense clouds over Mammoth! Crazy spring weather continues!