Re: Looking Ahead To 2014, SHR

  • John
    Message 1 of 23 , May 25, 2013
      Great Robert, we'll stay in touch.

      John

      > Sounds good John! I will keep in touch off-board later in the year and we can touch bases then. Now I have some 'scheming' to do in the off season : )
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndittli@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Unless my schedule changes drastically, I'm out (and about) this summer.
      > >
      > > I was thinking 7-8 to Piute. I'd be good going out over Bishop, but I might have a hard time motivating to go back in that way the next year. I'd probably skip LeConte and start in over Lamarck (not like you haven't hiked that!).
      > >
      > > I've been over Frozen Lake, Keyhole and Alpine. The problem is remembering..... I know I've skied over all of them, Alpine many times. Hiking I only recall Alpine, lots of BIG talus on the north side. I'm thinking hiking into the Cirque Crest has been via Cartridge Pass and the pass above Amphitheater Lake so I'm not sure I've hiked FLP.
      > >
      > > Snow Tongue I still haven't been over though I've been to the lake to the south of it and that is worth it!
      > >
      > > Let me run it by the boss, she issues the hall passes. The prime summer months are kind of "our" time though a week is usually manageable, especially if I tire her out the week before ;-). I do have some other things going on (why I'm not available this summer) so let's talk off board.
      > >
      > > johndittli@
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm betting you have been to most of as well! When I did the first half to Dusy Basin and out South Lake 5 years ago, we did it in 6 nights. I was looking either a 6-7 night trip via Dusy, or 8-9 night going out Humphries or LaMark Col. I am a big fan of August hiking as the majority of the snow and bugs are gone even in a 'normal' snow year. I'm not a big fan of early season hiking with cramp ons, and the other paraphanalia that goes along with steep hard-packed snow. Have you been over Snow Tongue Pass, Alpine Col, or Keyhole Pass/Col? The hardest pass on the first half was Frozen Lake Pass, which wasn't too bad by the time you got to it you are pretty trail hardened. There was a litte shock and awe when you first look down on it, but after the Whitney MR last summer, will seem tame in comparison.
      > > >
      > > > I would love to be able to hike it with you if it fits into your plans next summer! Let me know and we can start scheming this Fall and/or winter. We can see how severe of a winter we are having in late Jan/early Feb and work from there for guesstimating a good time to go before permit season hits full stride. Onion Valley/Kearsrge Pass are easy permits to get early on.

    • casey
      Message 2 of 23 , May 26, 2013
        Guys

        My hiking partner and myself have been dicussing doing the SHR next August. We will have about 20 days total for the trip. Would be really nice to have free guide service through the first portion.

        Carrying a separate permit we would like to benefit from your experience providing we can keep up with the "old farts". (I'm 59, hiking partner is 35+/-) What kind of daily mileage and elevation gains were you planning to average?

        > Sounds good John! I will keep in touch off-board later in the year and we can touch bases then. Now I have some 'scheming' to do in the off season : )
        >
        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndittli@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Unless my schedule changes drastically, I'm out (and about) this summer.
        > >
        > > I was thinking 7-8 to Piute. I'd be good going out over Bishop, but I might have a hard time motivating to go back in that way the next year. I'd probably skip LeConte and start in over Lamarck (not like you haven't hiked that!).
        > >
        > > I've been over Frozen Lake, Keyhole and Alpine. The problem is remembering..... I know I've skied over all of them, Alpine many times. Hiking I only recall Alpine, lots of BIG talus on the north side. I'm thinking hiking into the Cirque Crest has been via Cartridge Pass and the pass above Amphitheater Lake so I'm not sure I've hiked FLP.
        > >
        > > Snow Tongue I still haven't been over though I've been to the lake to the south of it and that is worth it!
        > >
        > > Let me run it by the boss, she issues the hall passes. The prime summer months are kind of "our" time though a week is usually manageable, especially if I tire her out the week before ;-). I do have some other things going on (why I'm not available this summer) so let's talk off board.

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 23 , May 26, 2013
          Casey, I sent an off board message. We may be able to work something out!

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "casey" <casey.cox@...> wrote:

          > Guys
          >
          > My hiking partner and myself have been dicussing doing the SHR next August. We will have about 20 days total for the trip. Would be really nice to have free guide service through the first portion.
          >
          > Carrying a separate permit we would like to benefit from your experience providing we can keep up with the "old farts". (I'm 59, hiking partner is 35+/-) What kind of daily mileage and elevation gains were you planning to average?
          >
          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Sounds good John! I will keep in touch off-board later in the year and we can touch bases then. Now I have some 'scheming' to do in the off season : )
          > >
          > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndittli@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Unless my schedule changes drastically, I'm out (and about) this summer.
          > > >
          > > > I was thinking 7-8 to Piute. I'd be good going out over Bishop, but I might have a hard time motivating to go back in that way the next year. I'd probably skip LeConte and start in over Lamarck (not like you haven't hiked that!).
          > > >
          > > > I've been over Frozen Lake, Keyhole and Alpine. The problem is remembering..... I know I've skied over all of them, Alpine many times. Hiking I only recall Alpine, lots of BIG talus on the north side. I'm thinking hiking into the Cirque Crest has been via Cartridge Pass and the pass above Amphitheater Lake so I'm not sure I've hiked FLP.
          > > >
          > > > Snow Tongue I still haven't been over though I've been to the lake to the south of it and that is worth it!
          > > >
          > > > Let me run it by the boss, she issues the hall passes. The prime summer months are kind of "our" time though a week is usually manageable, especially if I tire her out the week before ;-). I do have some other things going on (why I'm not available this summer) so let's talk off board.

        • krishna9012
          Message 4 of 23 , May 28, 2013
            SHR, SHR? Please pardon my ignorance, What is SHR? We did the road's end to WP via colby pass a few years back. Some one called it the Circle of Solitude as you meet just one or two hikers in a whole day! Is this High Sierra Trail you are all taking about? Just curious!
            Krishna

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...> wrote:

            > Robert:
            >
            > I am doing the section from Road's End to Duzy Basin starting on either July
            > 17 or July 10 (coordination with others issues). I'm not a fast packer. I
            > brought this up a few months ago and am not sure if we already talked about
            > this. I just finished a final exam and am starting serious planning next
            > week.
            >
            > Joe

          • sriprank
            Message 5 of 23 , May 28, 2013
              Sierra High Route or Roper's Route. Starts at Road's End and finishes
              at Twin Lakes by Bridgeport. Mostly X-country although it intersects the JMT at a few places. It is 189 miles if I recall and is a great hike.

              Snow Tongue Pass is a highlight. I might try and join those old guys (I'm one too) as I've done most of it but couldn't find Frozen Lake Pass last year and spent the entire day on the 'cirque' looking for it. Finally had to bail over Knapsack Pass and along the old JMT which intersects the current JMT near the Kings River crossing at the base of Mather.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "krishna9012" <krishna9012@...> wrote:

              > SHR, SHR? Please pardon my ignorance, What is SHR? We did the road's end to WP via colby pass a few years back. Some one called it the Circle of Solitude as you meet just one or two hikers in a whole day! Is this High Sierra Trail you are all taking about? Just curious!
              > Krishna
              >
              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Robert:
              > >
              > > I am doing the section from Road's End to Duzy Basin starting on either July
              > > 17 or July 10 (coordination with others issues). I'm not a fast packer. I
              > > brought this up a few months ago and am not sure if we already talked about
              > > this. I just finished a final exam and am starting serious planning next
              > > week.
              > >
              > > Joe

            • Robert
              Message 6 of 23 , May 28, 2013
                SHR is the Sierra High Route from Roads End to Twin Lakes, mostly cross country. This is the route described in Ropers book. High Sierra Trail, Cresent Meadow to Mt. Whitney, all trail. They tend to get mixed up all of the time : ) ! Did you go via Elizabeth and Colby Passes? If so, that is a great route as well, while not 'officially' the HST, possibly more scenic with the exception of the Hamilton and Precipice Lakes area.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "krishna9012" <krishna9012@...> wrote:

                > SHR, SHR? Please pardon my ignorance, What is SHR? We did the road's end to WP via colby pass a few years back. Some one called it the Circle of Solitude as you meet just one or two hikers in a whole day! Is this High Sierra Trail you are all taking about? Just curious!
                > Krishna
                >
                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Robert:
                > >
                > > I am doing the section from Road's End to Duzy Basin starting on either July
                > > 17 or July 10 (coordination with others issues). I'm not a fast packer. I
                > > brought this up a few months ago and am not sure if we already talked about
                > > this. I just finished a final exam and am starting serious planning next
                > > week.
                > >
                > > Joe

              • Robert
                Message 7 of 23 , May 28, 2013
                  Krishna, shoot me an e-mail if you may be interested! I would like to keep the group size to around 4, as it gets a bit slower on many of the chutes with loose talus waiting one at a time for people to get clear. Did you mean Cartridge Pass instead of Knapsack Pass? Knapsack is south of Dusy Basin by the Palisades. I haven't done Snowtongue Pass yet, but would like to if I was not solo!

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 28, 2013
                    On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 7:08 AM, krishna9012 <krishna9012@...> wrote:
                    SHR, SHR? Please pardon my ignorance, What is SHR? We did the road's end to WP via colby pass a few years back. Some one called it the Circle of Solitude as you meet just one or two hikers in a whole day! Is this High Sierra Trail

                    Just a terminology clarification. A "Trail" is typically at least somewhat engineered or at least improved or heavily enough used that it is more obvious than a "Route". A Route might just be a series of directions with a minimal amount of evident prior travel. Obviously the categories can overlap a bit and the SHR is pretty well traveled, though way less so than the JMT

                    E.g., in the Grand Canyon it's the Escalante Route vs. the Tonto Trail

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 28, 2013
                      And, not to be confused with the Sierra Haute Route, the ski (or hiking) route from Shepherd Pass To Lodgepole....

                      Walk the Sky: following the JMT, or the SHR, or the SHR, or the CofS or....????

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "krishna9012" wrote:

                      > SHR, SHR? Please pardon my ignorance, What is SHR? We did the road's end to WP via colby pass a few years back. Some one called it the Circle of Solitude as you meet just one or two hikers in a whole day! Is this High Sierra Trail you are all taking about? Just curious!
                      > Krishna
                      >
                      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" jmacleish@ wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Robert:
                      > >
                      > > I am doing the section from Road's End to Duzy Basin starting on either July
                      > > 17 or July 10 (coordination with others issues). I'm not a fast packer. I
                      > > brought this up a few months ago and am not sure if we already talked about
                      > > this. I just finished a final exam and am starting serious planning next
                      > > week.
                      > >
                      > > Joe

                    • krishna9012
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 29, 2013
                        Robert:
                        2014 & 2015? My only plan for 2014 is to do Valley of Flowers in Himalayas where you hike from hut to hut with lots of spicy food and need not carry a back pack and sleep in a cabin with a good bed. I never did cross county hiking before but would be interested in trying next year. This year my goal is to finish the JMT in one shot. I did the 210+ miles in three years finishing last year. Please share some more details to: krishna9012@...
                        Thanks!
                        Krishna

                        > Krishna, shoot me an e-mail if you may be interested! I would like to keep the group size to around 4, as it gets a bit slower on many of the chutes with loose talus waiting one at a time for people to get clear. Did you mean Cartridge Pass instead of Knapsack Pass? Knapsack is south of Dusy Basin by the Palisades. I haven't done Snowtongue Pass yet, but would like to if I was not solo!
                        >
                        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sriprank" <sriprank@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Sierra High Route or Roper's Route. Starts at Road's End and finishes
                        > > at Twin Lakes by Bridgeport. Mostly X-country although it intersects the JMT at a few places. It is 189 miles if I recall and is a great hike.
                        > >
                        > > Snow Tongue Pass is a highlight. I might try and join those old guys (I'm one too) as I've done most of it but couldn't find Frozen Lake Pass last year and spent the entire day on the 'cirque' looking for it. Finally had to bail over Knapsack Pass and along the old JMT which intersects the current JMT near the Kings River crossing at the base of Mather.
                        > >
                        > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "krishna9012" <krishna9012@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > SHR, SHR? Please pardon my ignorance, What is SHR? We did the road's end to WP via colby pass a few years back. Some one called it the Circle of Solitude as you meet just one or two hikers in a whole day! Is this High Sierra Trail you are all taking about? Just curious!
                        > > > Krishna

                      • Robert
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 2, 2013
                          Update- I managed to time a SHR section hike with a couple of other JMT Yahoo folks, so I will be looking at doing the section from either Dusy Basin or Humphries Basin to Tuolumne Meadows next summer ( 2014 ). I will keep everyone in the loop that I have been in touch with regarding the SHR during the off season and see who is still interested. I am usually a very meticulous planner on my hiking plans, so switching from doing the JMT to the SHR and using a hiker shuttle service for the first time isn't normal for me, but sometimes you need to get out of your comfort zone! The low snow year made this too good of a summer to pass up cross country hiking on the SHR!