Advice needed...

  • Nicole
    Message 1 of 10 , May 25, 2013
      Hello everyone-
      Long time lurker, first time poster. I need some advice on some logistics. My friend and I are flying into Mammoth Lakes Tues. 7/30 & because we are getting in late afternoon after the buses stop, we will be staying in ML that night. We plan on taking the morning YARTS bus down to YV visitors center because we still need a permit to thru hike and according to the schedule it only stops at the visitor center after 12. I understand that's too late to get a same day or next day permit. My question is, is there any way that we could get down to the center earlier that I may not know of?
      Also, I have read for walk up permits to get there super early(6am?). I was wondering what anyone's experience may be with acquiring a walk up permit. We hope to be able to be on the trail by Thursday or Friday with a HI start and Half dome permit.
      Lastly-since we will most likely have to stay in YV Weds I wondered if anyone had a recommendation for a place to stay. Curry Village still has spaces left-but are pricey, and I heard the backpackers camp(camp 4?) fills up before noon or should we just sleep outside the ranger station and be the first in line? :D
      Thanks to everyone here that moderates and posts-you're a wealth of info!

      Thanks in advance!
      Nicole
      Message 2 of 10 , May 25, 2013
        Pls call yose wilderness office. I think if you ask for a unpopular starting TH permit whose daily quota has not been filled you can get a next day permit for that up until 4 pm. Call to confirm. See our file library onTH options.

        Sent from my iPhone
        See my Google Profile for interesting research links:
        http://tinyurl.com/3vnolh8

[...]

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 10 , May 25, 2013
          My advice is to be flexible with your stating trailhead. Half-Dome permits are no longer automatically given to overnight wilderness permit holders, so that option may or may not happen for you. I would advise 'biting the bullet' and stay in Curry Village and enjoy a bed and shower for your last night before hitting the trail. Have a great hike!

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole" <nikkivanfrank@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone-
          > Long time lurker, first time poster. I need some advice on some logistics. My friend and I are flying into Mammoth Lakes Tues. 7/30 & because we are getting in late afternoon after the buses stop, we will be staying in ML that night. We plan on taking the morning YARTS bus down to YV visitors center because we still need a permit to thru hike and according to the schedule it only stops at the visitor center after 12. I understand that's too late to get a same day or next day permit. My question is, is there any way that we could get down to the center earlier that I may not know of?
          > Also, I have read for walk up permits to get there super early(6am?). I was wondering what anyone's experience may be with acquiring a walk up permit. We hope to be able to be on the trail by Thursday or Friday with a HI start and Half dome permit.
          > Lastly-since we will most likely have to stay in YV Weds I wondered if anyone had a recommendation for a place to stay. Curry Village still has spaces left-but are pricey, and I heard the backpackers camp(camp 4?) fills up before noon or should we just sleep outside the ranger station and be the first in line? :D
          > Thanks to everyone here that moderates and posts-you're a wealth of info!
          >
          > Thanks in advance!
          > Nicole

        • robert shattuck

              Message 6 of 10 , May 26, 2013
                Hi Nicole,

                A couple of things.

                All the Permit Offices in Yosemite are connected by computer. The is a 6 AM bus out of Mammoth Lakes that goes to Tuolumne Meadows. There is a Permit Office there (not the Visitors Center). You will get there shortly after it opens. The most difficult Permit to obtain is the one from YV to Tuolumne mostly because of Half Dome. It is very simple to obtain a thru Permit from TM to Whitney during the week. I often drive from the Bay Area and get a 'same day' Permit and just start hiking. You could try for a same day when the office opens or a next day which I think they start giving out at 11:00 AM. You could then either hitch to the Valley or wait for the 8:00 AM Yarts from Mammoth Lakes that does go to the Valley.

                Camp 4 is NOT the Backpackers Campground. The Backpackers Campground is near the Happy Isles trailhead and you just pitch anywhere once you have obtained a Permit.

                You can also get individuals Permits if one is available for 'same day' and just meet up somewhere near the Half Dome Junction. There is also Snow Creek Trail out of Mirror Lake if you can't get a Permit via Happy Isles

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole" <nikkivanfrank@...> wrote:

                > Hello everyone-
                > Long time lurker, first time poster. I need some advice on some logistics. My friend and I are flying into Mammoth Lakes Tues. 7/30 & because we are getting in late afternoon after the buses stop, we will be staying in ML that night. We plan on taking the morning YARTS bus down to YV visitors center because we still need a permit to thru hike and according to the schedule it only stops at the visitor center after 12. I understand that's too late to get a same day or next day permit. My question is, is there any way that we could get down to the center earlier that I may not know of?
                > Also, I have read for walk up permits to get there super early(6am?). I was wondering what anyone's experience may be with acquiring a walk up permit. We hope to be able to be on the trail by Thursday or Friday with a HI start and Half dome permit.
                > Lastly-since we will most likely have to stay in YV Weds I wondered if anyone had a recommendation for a place to stay. Curry Village still has spaces left-but are pricey, and I heard the backpackers camp(camp 4?) fills up before noon or should we just sleep outside the ranger station and be the first in line? :D
                > Thanks to everyone here that moderates and posts-you're a wealth of info!
                >
                > Thanks in advance!
                > Nicole

              • Chris
                Message 7 of 10 , May 27, 2013
                  For my trip, I got an unpopular permit out of YV (Snow Creek, last thing available for my mid-August departure date), just for insurance. I will try to get a same-day permit for Happy Isles, as folks here are suggesting. You might try something like that.

                  Chris.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole" <nikkivanfrank@...> wrote:

                  > Hello everyone-
                  > Long time lurker, first time poster. I need some advice on some logistics. My friend and I are flying into Mammoth Lakes Tues. 7/30 & because we are getting in late afternoon after the buses stop, we will be staying in ML that night. We plan on taking the morning YARTS bus down to YV visitors center because we still need a permit to thru hike and according to the schedule it only stops at the visitor center after 12. I understand that's too late to get a same day or next day permit. My question is, is there any way that we could get down to the center earlier that I may not know of?
                  > Also, I have read for walk up permits to get there super early(6am?). I was wondering what anyone's experience may be with acquiring a walk up permit. We hope to be able to be on the trail by Thursday or Friday with a HI start and Half dome permit.
                  > Lastly-since we will most likely have to stay in YV Weds I wondered if anyone had a recommendation for a place to stay. Curry Village still has spaces left-but are pricey, and I heard the backpackers camp(camp 4?) fills up before noon or should we just sleep outside the ranger station and be the first in line? :D
                  > Thanks to everyone here that moderates and posts-you're a wealth of info!
                  >
                  > Thanks in advance!
                  > Nicole

                • sriprank
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 27, 2013
                    Snow Creek is a great trail. Very steep start but great views of HD.

                    It is not the official JMT but it is much less crowded with all the dayhikers out of Happy Isles.

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 27, 2013
                      We have this option documented with map in alternative TH options file folder.

                      On May 27, 2013, at 11:06 AM, "sriprank" <sriprank@...> wrote:

                      Snow Creek is a great trail. Very steep start but great views of HD.

                      It is not the official JMT but it is much less crowded with all the dayhikers out of Happy Isles.

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <cehauser1@...> wrote:

                      > For my trip, I got an unpopular permit out of YV (Snow Creek, last thing available for my mid-August departure date), just for insurance. I will try to get a same-day permit for Happy Isles, as folks here are suggesting. You might try something like that.
                      >
                      > Chris.
                      >

                      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Nicole" <nikkivanfrank@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hello everyone-
                      > > Long time lurker, first time poster. I need some advice on some logistics. My friend and I are flying into Mammoth Lakes Tues. 7/30 & because we are getting in late afternoon after the buses stop, we will be staying in ML that night. We plan on taking the morning YARTS bus down to YV visitors center because we still need a permit to thru hike and according to the schedule it only stops at the visitor center after 12. I understand that's too late to get a same day or next day permit. My question is, is there any way that we could get down to the center earlier that I may not know of?
                      > > Also, I have read for walk up permits to get there super early(6am?). I was wondering what anyone's experience may be with acquiring a walk up permit. We hope to be able to be on the trail by Thursday or Friday with a HI start and Half dome permit.
                      > > Lastly-since we will most likely have to stay in YV Weds I wondered if anyone had a recommendation for a place to stay. Curry Village still has spaces left-but are pricey, and I heard the backpackers camp(camp 4?) fills up before noon or should we just sleep outside the ranger station and be the first in line? :D
                      > > Thanks to everyone here that moderates and posts-you're a wealth of info!
                      > >
                      > > Thanks in advance!
                      > > Nicole

                    • Alex Cheng
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 27, 2013
                        I agree it's a great trail with great views.  It is very steep until you get to the crest (or 1/4 mile before the footbridge).  Just as importantly, it's very exposed to the sun (and heat) as this trail faces directly south.  So get a very early start or else you need to bring a LOT of water.  Once you get to the footbridge (after approximately 1.75 miles of steep climbing), there will be water and some very nice pools to take a dip.  The rest of the snow creek trail will not be as steep and there will be partial shade.

                        Although it is not part of the JMT, I like to take this trail from YV to TM because it's scenic and is not full of people.