New map of JMT Waterfalls

    Message 1 of 4 , May 25, 2013
      John Dittli and others in the recent Waterfalls thread inspired me to make a Google map of waterfalls along and near the JMT

      It's here

      Some of the waterfalls shown on the map may not be visible from trails as I took some from an interesting waterfalls database. Click on a listed point and you will usually see links to the database and often to a photo.

      I'm now starting to regret the fact that I'll be on the trail in September, when many of these will be pretty dry.

      Google maps can be exported in kml (Google Earth) format and the kml file can be converted to various GPS formats if you are compulsive about such things.

      If you have other waterfalls to add, additional or better photos, or corrections, please let me know off-board and I will update the map or make you a collaborator.

      On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 10:44 AM, jj442434 <jj442434@...> wrote:

      I'm starting my first JMT thru-hike at the very beginning of August. My group is going at a fairly leisurely pace, especially for the northern half of the trail up until MTR. So I'm looking for some waterfalls to visit off the JMT, because I love waterfalls (an unpopular opinion, I know). Besides the obvious like Vernal, Nevada, and Rainbow Falls, what are some of the waterfalls we could get to that our worth our while?

      Thanks,
      Jeff

    • brucelem12
      Message 2 of 4 , May 25, 2013
        Nice! Thanks for putting this together!

        ----------

        http://goo.gl/maps/ilVPF

        http://www.worldwaterfalldatabase.com/region/United-States/California/

        I'm now starting to regret the fact that I'll be on the trail in September, when many of these will be pretty dry.
        Google maps can be exported in kml (Google Earth) format and the kml file can be converted to various GPS formats if you are compulsive about such things.
        If you have other waterfalls to add, additional or better photos, or
        corrections, please let me know off-board and I will update the map or make you a collaborator.
        San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
        415-648-9279
      • Robert
        Message 3 of 4 , May 25, 2013
          Nicely done guys! There are a couple in there I need to check out.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 27, 2013
            I made a .gpx format waypoints file with the locations of the waterfalls.

            I think it's downloadable from this link

            If you want it, and it won't download, let me know off-board and I can send as an attachment.

            The waypoints are short-named in the format WF### where the numbers correspond to the approximate Southbound mile point where the falls are found, seen or where you start a sidetrip to view them. E.g., the waypoint short name for Twin Falls on Bear Creek is WF090 since you would leave the JMT at mile 90 to go down to the Falls.