Re: Looking Ahead To 2014, SHR

  • John
    Message 1 of 23 , May 25 12:12 PM
      By next two years you mean '14 & '15? I could be interested, but whether I "can", depends on a lot of criteria. Also depends if you want to go with an old fart.

      John
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" wrote:

      > OK, I know it's waaayyy early, but is there anyone out there interested in doing a the SHR in two sections over the next two years? I have done the southern half a few years back, but not the northern half. I really want to do the southern portion again as it was really smoky from fires and the views from Windy Ridge were terrible from what they usually are. My usual go-to hiking partner is having major health issues and may, or may not be able to do it, and my most of the other folks I hike with are not in to doing much cross-country.
      >
      > I know this is not JMT related, but I don't want to do the SHR solo, and I what better place to start asking around than on a hiking related site. FWIW, my fast packing mentality goes out the window when I am off trail. I want to go at a reasonable pace, but enjoy the trip and do the cross country at a safe tempo.

    • Robert
      Message 2 of 23 , May 25 1:56 PM
        Yep, 2014 &2015. I won't have the amount of time needed t pull it off in one shot so I was looking at Roads End to either Dusy Basin or Humphries Basin in one year, and pick up the rest the following year. I'm still not sure if I want to do Snow Tongue Pass, but that may depend on snow that year.
        I have no problem hiking with an 'old fart' as I'm no spring chicken anymore either. It would be great going with a vetern cross country guy as well. It makes things much easier when you're not worried about each others capabilities and you can just enjoy the surroundings! I was looking at going in over Kearsage and down Bubbs to access Roads End and the Copper Creek TH, so that would add a night at least to the trip total.

        Message 3 of 23 , May 25 2:39 PM
          Enticing Robert! I have to say I've never really paid complete attention to the actual "High Route". I'm guessing I've done pretty much the whole thing over the years, but never end to end. I'm surprised some of the places I've heard Roper takes you, as I think there are IMO, more aesthetic routes in some areas; like the Cathedral Range for instance.

          What time of year were you thinking and how many days for each leg?

          John

          Message 4 of 23 , May 25 3:44 PM
            I'm betting you have been to most of as well! When I did the first half to Dusy Basin and out South Lake 5 years ago, we did it in 6 nights. I was looking either a 6-7 night trip via Dusy, or 8-9 night going out Humphries or LaMark Col. I am a big fan of August hiking as the majority of the snow and bugs are gone even in a 'normal' snow year. I'm not a big fan of early season hiking with cramp ons, and the other paraphanalia that goes along with steep hard-packed snow. Have you been over Snow Tongue Pass, Alpine Col, or Keyhole Pass/Col? The hardest pass on the first half was Frozen Lake Pass, which wasn't too bad by the time you got to it you are pretty trail hardened. There was a litte shock and awe when you first look down on it, but after the Whitney MR last summer, will seem tame in comparison.

            I would love to be able to hike it with you if it fits into your plans next summer! Let me know and we can start scheming this Fall and/or winter. We can see how severe of a winter we are having in late Jan/early Feb and work from there for guesstimating a good time to go before permit season hits full stride. Onion Valley/Kearsrge Pass are easy permits to get early on.

            > Enticing Robert! I have to say I've never really paid complete attention to the actual "High Route". I'm guessing I've done pretty much the whole thing over the years, but never end to end. I'm surprised some of the places I've heard Roper takes you, as I think there are IMO, more aesthetic routes in some areas; like the Cathedral Range for instance.
            >
            > What time of year were you thinking and how many days for each leg?
            >
            > John
            >
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Yep, 2014 &2015. I won't have the amount of time needed t pull it off in one shot so I was looking at Roads End to either Dusy Basin or Humphries Basin in one year, and pick up the rest the following year. I'm still not sure if I want to do Snow Tongue Pass, but that may depend on snow that year.
            > > I have no problem hiking with an 'old fart' as I'm no spring chicken anymore either. It would be great going with a vetern cross country guy as well. It makes things much easier when you're not worried about each others capabilities and you can just enjoy the surroundings! I was looking at going in over Kearsage and down Bubbs to access Roads End and the Copper Creek TH, so that would add a night at least to the trip total.
            > >
            > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndittli@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > By next two years you mean '14 & '15? I could be interested, but whether
            > > > I "can", depends on a lot of criteria. Also depends if you want to go
            > > > with an old fart.
            > > > John

            > > > interested in doing a the SHR in two sections over the next two years? I
            > > > have done the southern half a few years back, but not the northern half.
            > > > I really want to do the southern portion again as it was really smoky
            > > > from fires and the views from Windy Ridge were terrible from what they
            > > > usually are. My usual go-to hiking partner is having major health
            > > > issues and may, or may not be able to do it, and my most of the other
            > > > folks I hike with are not in to doing much cross-country.

            > > > and I what better place to start asking around than on a hiking related
            > > > site. FWIW, my fast packing mentality goes out the window when I am off
            > > > trail. I want to go at a reasonable pace, but enjoy the trip and do the
            > > > cross country at a safe tempo.

          • Joe MacLeish
            Message 5 of 23 , May 25 4:05 PM

              Robert:

              I am doing the section from Road's End to Duzy Basin starting on either July 17 or July 10 (coordination with others issues).  I'm not a fast packer.  I brought this up a few months ago and am not sure if we already talked about this.  I just finished a final exam and am starting serious planning next week.

              Joe

              Message 6 of 23 , May 25 4:14 PM

                Robert:

                I been up (and down) the Whitney MR a few times.  If that is that comparable to the difficult bits of the Southern SHR I'm good.  If the SHR is harder it will be nice to know.

                thanks

                Joe

                Message 7 of 23 , May 25 4:39 PM
                  Unless my schedule changes drastically, I'm out (and about) this summer.

                  I was thinking 7-8 to Piute. I'd be good going out over Bishop, but I might have a hard time motivating to go back in that way the next year. I'd probably skip LeConte and start in over Lamarck (not like you haven't hiked that!).

                  I've been over Frozen Lake, Keyhole and Alpine. The problem is remembering..... I know I've skied over all of them, Alpine many times. Hiking I only recall Alpine, lots of BIG talus on the north side. I'm thinking hiking into the Cirque Crest has been via Cartridge Pass and the pass above Amphitheater Lake so I'm not sure I've hiked FLP.

                  Snow Tongue I still haven't been over though I've been to the lake to the south of it and that is worth it!

                  Let me run it by the boss, she issues the hall passes. The prime summer months are kind of "our" time though a week is usually manageable, especially if I tire her out the week before ;-). I do have some other things going on (why I'm not available this summer) so let's talk off board.

                  johndittli@...

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 25 6:19 PM
                    Hey Joe, if you've done the mountaineering route a few times you will be just fine for the southern portion of the SHR, in my opinion. The SHR has a few sections where there is a lot more large boulder/talus hopping than the MR. The loose scree that is encountered on the MR below 'the Crux' is similar to what you will see on the east side of Frozen Lake Pass and on a smaller scale, dropping down into Marion Lake. Are you planning on the northern half next year?

                    Message 9 of 23 , May 25 6:23 PM
                      Sounds good John! I will keep in touch off-board later in the year and we can touch bases then. Now I have some 'scheming' to do in the off season : )

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 25 6:35 PM

                        Robert:

                        Next year in June will be my 70th Birthday so I was planning a JMT as a sort of give myself a birthday present but depending on what I see on the SHR I may switch to full SHR - or not.

                        Joe

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 25 6:45 PM
                          What a great way to spend your 70th; my bet is on a full SHR. Happy 69th!

                          John

                          Message 12 of 23 , May 25 6:46 PM
                            Great Robert, we'll stay in touch.

                            John

                            > Sounds good John! I will keep in touch off-board later in the year and we can touch bases then. Now I have some 'scheming' to do in the off season : )
                            >
                            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndittli@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Unless my schedule changes drastically, I'm out (and about) this summer.
                            > >
                            > > I was thinking 7-8 to Piute. I'd be good going out over Bishop, but I might have a hard time motivating to go back in that way the next year. I'd probably skip LeConte and start in over Lamarck (not like you haven't hiked that!).
                            > >
                            > > I've been over Frozen Lake, Keyhole and Alpine. The problem is remembering..... I know I've skied over all of them, Alpine many times. Hiking I only recall Alpine, lots of BIG talus on the north side. I'm thinking hiking into the Cirque Crest has been via Cartridge Pass and the pass above Amphitheater Lake so I'm not sure I've hiked FLP.
                            > >
                            > > Snow Tongue I still haven't been over though I've been to the lake to the south of it and that is worth it!
                            > >
                            > > Let me run it by the boss, she issues the hall passes. The prime summer months are kind of "our" time though a week is usually manageable, especially if I tire her out the week before ;-). I do have some other things going on (why I'm not available this summer) so let's talk off board.
                            > >
                            > > johndittli@
                            > >
                            > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I'm betting you have been to most of as well! When I did the first half to Dusy Basin and out South Lake 5 years ago, we did it in 6 nights. I was looking either a 6-7 night trip via Dusy, or 8-9 night going out Humphries or LaMark Col. I am a big fan of August hiking as the majority of the snow and bugs are gone even in a 'normal' snow year. I'm not a big fan of early season hiking with cramp ons, and the other paraphanalia that goes along with steep hard-packed snow. Have you been over Snow Tongue Pass, Alpine Col, or Keyhole Pass/Col? The hardest pass on the first half was Frozen Lake Pass, which wasn't too bad by the time you got to it you are pretty trail hardened. There was a litte shock and awe when you first look down on it, but after the Whitney MR last summer, will seem tame in comparison.
                            > > >
                            > > > I would love to be able to hike it with you if it fits into your plans next summer! Let me know and we can start scheming this Fall and/or winter. We can see how severe of a winter we are having in late Jan/early Feb and work from there for guesstimating a good time to go before permit season hits full stride. Onion Valley/Kearsrge Pass are easy permits to get early on.

                          • casey
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 26 7:33 AM
                              Guys

                              My hiking partner and myself have been dicussing doing the SHR next August. We will have about 20 days total for the trip. Would be really nice to have free guide service through the first portion.

                              Carrying a separate permit we would like to benefit from your experience providing we can keep up with the "old farts". (I'm 59, hiking partner is 35+/-) What kind of daily mileage and elevation gains were you planning to average?

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 26 9:01 AM
                                Casey, I sent an off board message. We may be able to work something out!

                                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "casey" <casey.cox@...> wrote:

                                > Guys
                                >
                                > My hiking partner and myself have been dicussing doing the SHR next August. We will have about 20 days total for the trip. Would be really nice to have free guide service through the first portion.
                                >
                                > Carrying a separate permit we would like to benefit from your experience providing we can keep up with the "old farts". (I'm 59, hiking partner is 35+/-) What kind of daily mileage and elevation gains were you planning to average?
                                >
                                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Sounds good John! I will keep in touch off-board later in the year and we can touch bases then. Now I have some 'scheming' to do in the off season : )
                                > >
                                > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndittli@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Unless my schedule changes drastically, I'm out (and about) this summer.
                                > > >
                                > > > I was thinking 7-8 to Piute. I'd be good going out over Bishop, but I might have a hard time motivating to go back in that way the next year. I'd probably skip LeConte and start in over Lamarck (not like you haven't hiked that!).
                                > > >
                                > > > I've been over Frozen Lake, Keyhole and Alpine. The problem is remembering..... I know I've skied over all of them, Alpine many times. Hiking I only recall Alpine, lots of BIG talus on the north side. I'm thinking hiking into the Cirque Crest has been via Cartridge Pass and the pass above Amphitheater Lake so I'm not sure I've hiked FLP.
                                > > >
                                > > > Snow Tongue I still haven't been over though I've been to the lake to the south of it and that is worth it!
                                > > >
                                > > > Let me run it by the boss, she issues the hall passes. The prime summer months are kind of "our" time though a week is usually manageable, especially if I tire her out the week before ;-). I do have some other things going on (why I'm not available this summer) so let's talk off board.

                              • krishna9012
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 28 7:08 AM
                                  SHR, SHR? Please pardon my ignorance, What is SHR? We did the road's end to WP via colby pass a few years back. Some one called it the Circle of Solitude as you meet just one or two hikers in a whole day! Is this High Sierra Trail you are all taking about? Just curious!
                                  Krishna

                                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@...> wrote:

                                  > Robert:
                                  >
                                  > I am doing the section from Road's End to Duzy Basin starting on either July
                                  > 17 or July 10 (coordination with others issues). I'm not a fast packer. I
                                  > brought this up a few months ago and am not sure if we already talked about
                                  > this. I just finished a final exam and am starting serious planning next
                                  > week.
                                  >
                                  > Joe

                                • sriprank
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 28 8:04 AM
                                    Sierra High Route or Roper's Route. Starts at Road's End and finishes
                                    at Twin Lakes by Bridgeport. Mostly X-country although it intersects the JMT at a few places. It is 189 miles if I recall and is a great hike.

                                    Snow Tongue Pass is a highlight. I might try and join those old guys (I'm one too) as I've done most of it but couldn't find Frozen Lake Pass last year and spent the entire day on the 'cirque' looking for it. Finally had to bail over Knapsack Pass and along the old JMT which intersects the current JMT near the Kings River crossing at the base of Mather.

                                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "krishna9012" <krishna9012@...> wrote:

                                    > SHR, SHR? Please pardon my ignorance, What is SHR? We did the road's end to WP via colby pass a few years back. Some one called it the Circle of Solitude as you meet just one or two hikers in a whole day! Is this High Sierra Trail you are all taking about? Just curious!
                                    > Krishna
                                    >
                                    > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Robert:
                                    > >
                                    > > I am doing the section from Road's End to Duzy Basin starting on either July
                                    > > 17 or July 10 (coordination with others issues). I'm not a fast packer. I
                                    > > brought this up a few months ago and am not sure if we already talked about
                                    > > this. I just finished a final exam and am starting serious planning next
                                    > > week.
                                    > >
                                    > > Joe

                                  • Robert
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 28 8:21 AM
                                      SHR is the Sierra High Route from Roads End to Twin Lakes, mostly cross country. This is the route described in Ropers book. High Sierra Trail, Cresent Meadow to Mt. Whitney, all trail. They tend to get mixed up all of the time : ) ! Did you go via Elizabeth and Colby Passes? If so, that is a great route as well, while not 'officially' the HST, possibly more scenic with the exception of the Hamilton and Precipice Lakes area.

                                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "krishna9012" <krishna9012@...> wrote:

                                      > SHR, SHR? Please pardon my ignorance, What is SHR? We did the road's end to WP via colby pass a few years back. Some one called it the Circle of Solitude as you meet just one or two hikers in a whole day! Is this High Sierra Trail you are all taking about? Just curious!
                                      > Krishna
                                      >
                                      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Robert:
                                      > >
                                      > > I am doing the section from Road's End to Duzy Basin starting on either July
                                      > > 17 or July 10 (coordination with others issues). I'm not a fast packer. I
                                      > > brought this up a few months ago and am not sure if we already talked about
                                      > > this. I just finished a final exam and am starting serious planning next
                                      > > week.
                                      > >
                                      > > Joe

                                    • Robert
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 28 8:29 AM
                                        Krishna, shoot me an e-mail if you may be interested! I would like to keep the group size to around 4, as it gets a bit slower on many of the chutes with loose talus waiting one at a time for people to get clear. Did you mean Cartridge Pass instead of Knapsack Pass? Knapsack is south of Dusy Basin by the Palisades. I haven't done Snowtongue Pass yet, but would like to if I was not solo!

                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 28 8:52 AM
                                          On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 7:08 AM, krishna9012 <krishna9012@...> wrote:
                                          SHR, SHR? Please pardon my ignorance, What is SHR? We did the road's end to WP via colby pass a few years back. Some one called it the Circle of Solitude as you meet just one or two hikers in a whole day! Is this High Sierra Trail

                                          Just a terminology clarification. A "Trail" is typically at least somewhat engineered or at least improved or heavily enough used that it is more obvious than a "Route". A Route might just be a series of directions with a minimal amount of evident prior travel. Obviously the categories can overlap a bit and the SHR is pretty well traveled, though way less so than the JMT

                                          E.g., in the Grand Canyon it's the Escalante Route vs. the Tonto Trail

                                        • John
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 28 9:26 AM
                                            And, not to be confused with the Sierra Haute Route, the ski (or hiking) route from Shepherd Pass To Lodgepole....

                                            Walk the Sky: following the JMT, or the SHR, or the SHR, or the CofS or....????

                                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "krishna9012" wrote:

                                            > SHR, SHR? Please pardon my ignorance, What is SHR? We did the road's end to WP via colby pass a few years back. Some one called it the Circle of Solitude as you meet just one or two hikers in a whole day! Is this High Sierra Trail you are all taking about? Just curious!
                                            > Krishna
                                            >
                                            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" jmacleish@ wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Robert:
                                            > >
                                            > > I am doing the section from Road's End to Duzy Basin starting on either July
                                            > > 17 or July 10 (coordination with others issues). I'm not a fast packer. I
                                            > > brought this up a few months ago and am not sure if we already talked about
                                            > > this. I just finished a final exam and am starting serious planning next
                                            > > week.
                                            > >
                                            > > Joe

                                          • krishna9012
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 29 8:01 PM
                                              Robert:
                                              2014 & 2015? My only plan for 2014 is to do Valley of Flowers in Himalayas where you hike from hut to hut with lots of spicy food and need not carry a back pack and sleep in a cabin with a good bed. I never did cross county hiking before but would be interested in trying next year. This year my goal is to finish the JMT in one shot. I did the 210+ miles in three years finishing last year. Please share some more details to: krishna9012@...
                                              Thanks!
                                              Krishna

                                              > Krishna, shoot me an e-mail if you may be interested! I would like to keep the group size to around 4, as it gets a bit slower on many of the chutes with loose talus waiting one at a time for people to get clear. Did you mean Cartridge Pass instead of Knapsack Pass? Knapsack is south of Dusy Basin by the Palisades. I haven't done Snowtongue Pass yet, but would like to if I was not solo!
                                              >
                                              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sriprank" <sriprank@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > Sierra High Route or Roper's Route. Starts at Road's End and finishes
                                              > > at Twin Lakes by Bridgeport. Mostly X-country although it intersects the JMT at a few places. It is 189 miles if I recall and is a great hike.
                                              > >
                                              > > Snow Tongue Pass is a highlight. I might try and join those old guys (I'm one too) as I've done most of it but couldn't find Frozen Lake Pass last year and spent the entire day on the 'cirque' looking for it. Finally had to bail over Knapsack Pass and along the old JMT which intersects the current JMT near the Kings River crossing at the base of Mather.
                                              > >
                                              > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "krishna9012" <krishna9012@> wrote:
                                              > > >
                                              > > > SHR, SHR? Please pardon my ignorance, What is SHR? We did the road's end to WP via colby pass a few years back. Some one called it the Circle of Solitude as you meet just one or two hikers in a whole day! Is this High Sierra Trail you are all taking about? Just curious!
                                              > > > Krishna

                                            • Robert
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jun 2, 2013
                                                Update- I managed to time a SHR section hike with a couple of other JMT Yahoo folks, so I will be looking at doing the section from either Dusy Basin or Humphries Basin to Tuolumne Meadows next summer ( 2014 ). I will keep everyone in the loop that I have been in touch with regarding the SHR during the off season and see who is still interested. I am usually a very meticulous planner on my hiking plans, so switching from doing the JMT to the SHR and using a hiker shuttle service for the first time isn't normal for me, but sometimes you need to get out of your comfort zone! The low snow year made this too good of a summer to pass up cross country hiking on the SHR!