Reds meadows/devils post pile parking open?

  • josh9561
    Message 1 of 2 , May 25, 2013
      I know the road into reds is open to traffic during the week from now til mid June. On weekends it's buses only. Inyo call center literally cannot answer my question.

      I want to be able to park and leave my car down there tues next week thru wed the following week. So far I can stay at reds meadows resort to guarantee a parking spot stay night one then head out via pvt shuttle to my start point at tenaya lake next day. I'd rather stealth camp for free night one but that's a big deal apparently. Regulations seem appropriately heavy and I don't want my car towed or fined or some ridiculousness.

      So, if the roads open at reds, which it is, does that mean trailhead parking is free and open too? Inyo wilderness info seemed confused. If I have to I will backpacker camp at mammoth lakes welcome center drive in and park at trailhead next morning in reds.
    • John
      Message 2 of 2 , May 25, 2013
        I think I understand your question.

        Once your car is down at a trailhead in the Valley. You can park there for as long as you want, there is no fee. If you drive out after your trip during "open" hours (7am to 7pm???) not sure about hours, you have to pay your use/entrance fee or wave your multi agency access pass if you have one.

        I do this all summer long; drive down early, backpack drive out.

        JD
        see book here