Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Waterfalls

  • Dittli-Goethals
    Message 1 of 16 , May 24, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 362 KB
    This is later in the summer as well, I think my first one is from early June. Still nice even in low water.

    On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 6:28 PM, Don Amundson <amrowinc@...> wrote:

    This is a shot of the Evolution Lake outflow last year with less water and looking back towards the lake.  It's a bit of a sensory shock when you approach it.  As you go around the bend south of the JMT it was to me (with bad hearing) like someone suddenly turned on the sound switch.  Well worth a look.

    To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
    From: rnperky@...
    Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 22:43:24 +0000
    Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Waterfalls

    John D. , that's the one!! I love chilling out at that overlook. It is a mandatory rest stop for me every time!

    --
    John Dittli/Leslie Goethals
    John Dittli Photography

    2010  IPPY Gold Medal Award Winner
  • Don Amundson
    Message 2 of 16 , May 24, 2013
      No competing with you John!  Nice shot.  It looks like you may have placed yourself in a somewhat precarious position to get the angle.

      On May 24, 2013, at 8:18 PM, "Dittli-Goethals" <johndittli@...> wrote:

      This is later in the summer as well, I think my first one is from early June. Still nice even in low water.

    • John
      Message 3 of 16 , May 24, 2013
        Ha, thanks Don! I liked your shot as well and it reminded me that I had taken one looking up too! I seem to recall jumping on to some little, slimy, rock island to get that perspectine

        John

        -
      • ravi_jmt2013
        Message 4 of 16 , May 25, 2013
          -- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndittli@...> wrote:

          > John that is actually Evolution Creek as it leaves Evolution Valley.
          > This is a photo from the top of the cascades as it leaves Evolution
          > Lake- pg 57 Walk the Sky!

          I'll get to see that location in mid July and early September ... I'll have to remember to take pictures to compare the water flow which I'm guessing will decrease quite a bit over 6-7 weeks.
        • sbrapoport
          Message 5 of 16 , Jun 10, 2013
            Does anyone have info about the location of Garnet Lake Falls relative to the JMT? I ran across a little bit of information in a book on waterfalls but can't seem to find any good trail info. Thank you in advance.

            Shana

            > John D. , that's the one!! I love chilling out at that overlook. It is a mandatory rest stop for me every time!
            >
            > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndittli@> wrote:
            > >
            > > John that is actually Evolution Creek as it leaves Evolution Valley.
            > > This is a photo from the top of the cascades as it leaves Evolution
            > > Lake- pg 57 Walk the Sky!
            > > 1292680869/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=21&\
            > > count=20&dir=asc
            > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/photos/album/1468624385/pic\
            > > /1292680869/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=21&count=20&dir=as\
            > > c>
            > > John
            > >
            > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Ladd wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Nice picture of the cascade Robert mentions here:
            > > >

            > > http://wannabp.smugmug.com/John-Muir-Trail-August-15/JMT-Days-14-16-Muir\
            > > -Trail/4568644_BZvjmh/269295917_zz8VmH7#!i=269295917&k=zz8VmH7

            > > minor
            > > Evolution
            > > will
            > > veer

            > > August.
            > > northern
            > > to visit
            > > know).
            > > some

          • John
            Message 6 of 16 , Jun 11, 2013
              The falls out of Garnet Lake are on the outlet below the JMT. They are  difficult to access and view from that side of the canyon. Best viewed from the High Trail (PCT).

              JD
              Walk the Sky :Following the John Muir Trail

              Message 7 of 16 , Jun 11, 2013
                I added it to the map, together with Nydiver Falls, possibly visible on the pretty sidetrip to Lake Ediza.

                For Garnet

                For Nydiver

                If people let me know of others, I'll continue to add them to the Google map of falls on/near the JMT

                John D: any comments about Nydiver?

                And am I right in assuming Garnet would be visible looking uo from River trail?