Waterfalls

  • jj442434
    Message 1 of 16 , May 24, 2013
      I'm starting my first JMT thru-hike at the very beginning of August. My group is going at a fairly leisurely pace, especially for the northern half of the trail up until MTR. So I'm looking for some waterfalls to visit off the JMT, because I love waterfalls (an unpopular opinion, I know). Besides the obvious like Vernal, Nevada, and Rainbow Falls, what are some of the waterfalls we could get to that our worth our while?

      Thanks,
      Jeff
      Message 2 of 16 , May 24, 2013
        Devil's washbowl, a sidetrip on the Middle Fork of the Kings River, starting at JMT mile 136 or so.

        In a dry year, could be less than impressive. but it's a nice side hike that takes you through some terrain that's different from most of the JMT

        Inline image 1

        On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 10:44 AM, jj442434 <jj442434@...> wrote:

        I'm starting my first JMT thru-hike at the very beginning of August. My group is going at a fairly leisurely pace, especially for the northern half of the trail up until MTR. So I'm looking for some waterfalls to visit off the JMT, because I love waterfalls (an unpopular opinion, I know). Besides the obvious like Vernal, Nevada, and Rainbow Falls, what are some of the waterfalls we could get to that our worth our while?

        Thanks,
        Jeff

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 16 , May 24, 2013
          It's more of a cascade than a fall, but still worth taking a VERY minor off trail look at is Evolution Creek about a 1/4 - 1/2 mile below Evolution Lake where it drops steeply into Evolution Valley. Going NOBO, you will cross it after the steep climb is done out of Evolution Valley and veer west to a spectacular view!

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jj442434" <jj442434@...> wrote:

          > I'm starting my first JMT thru-hike at the very beginning of August. My group is going at a fairly leisurely pace, especially for the northern half of the trail up until MTR. So I'm looking for some waterfalls to visit off the JMT, because I love waterfalls (an unpopular opinion, I know). Besides the obvious like Vernal, Nevada, and Rainbow Falls, what are some of the waterfalls we could get to that our worth our while?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Jeff

        • Robert
          Message 4 of 16 , May 24, 2013
            I meant SOBO. Too many years of going NOBO for me!

            Message 5 of 16 , May 24, 2013
              Nice picture of the cascade Robert mentions here:

              On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Robert <rnperky@...> wrote:

              I meant SOBO. Too many years of going NOBO for me!

              > It's more of a cascade than a fall, but still worth taking a VERY minor off trail look at is Evolution Creek about a 1/4 - 1/2 mile below Evolution Lake where it drops steeply into Evolution Valley. Going NOBO, you will cross it after the steep climb is done out of Evolution Valley and veer west to a spectacular view!
              >
              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jj442434" <jj442434@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm starting my first JMT thru-hike at the very beginning of August. My group is going at a fairly leisurely pace, especially for the northern half of the trail up until MTR. So I'm looking for some waterfalls to visit off the JMT, because I love waterfalls (an unpopular opinion, I know). Besides the obvious like Vernal, Nevada, and Rainbow Falls, what are some of the waterfalls we could get to that our worth our while?
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Jeff

            • John
              Message 6 of 16 , May 24, 2013
                Hi Jeff

                About a mile before the Merced Lake trail jct, head south a couple 100' to the crest of a small ridge (moraine). Aug may be a bit late this year but there are spectacular cascades tumbling into Little Yosemite Valley from Bunnell Point and Cascade Cliffs. Even if the cascades are dry the view is quite nice and seldom seen.

                Heading up the Lyell Fork keep an eye off to the left as you get toward the end (below Donahue Pass) for Kuna Creek cascade.

                The outlet of Shadow Lake has beautiful cascades that tumble through a gorge.

                As you drop into Devil's Postpile National Monument, take a side trip 1/2 mile north on the PCT to see Minaret Falls a local highlight (you will be descending next to it on the JMT, you may want to explore over that way).

                If you're after falls, you may want to do the JMT alt thru Cascade Valley.

                South of MTR you can enjoy Evolution cascade at the outlet of Evolution Lake. If you have the energy there are beautiful cascades up the Dusy Basin trail out of LeConte Canyon.

                As you near the bottom of Woods Creek, the trail will skirt a large slab, walk the slab over to nice falls and plunge pools with a view.

                Those are some highlights, but really, wherever you hear the sound of crashing water, go explore!

                If you have an extra day around Tuolumne, you should head down the Tuolumne River, again August may be a little late this year, but there are tremendous cascades down there.

                JD

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jj442434" wrote:

                > I'm starting my first JMT thru-hike at the very beginning of August. My group is going at a fairly leisurely pace, especially for the northern half of the trail up until MTR. So I'm looking for some waterfalls to visit off the JMT, because I love waterfalls (an unpopular opinion, I know). Besides the obvious like Vernal, Nevada, and Rainbow Falls, what are some of the waterfalls we could get to that our worth our while?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Jeff

              • John
                Message 7 of 16 , May 24, 2013
                  John that is actually Evolution Creek as it leaves Evolution Valley. This is a photo from the top of the cascades as it leaves Evolution Lake- pg 57 Walk the Sky!  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/photos/album/1468624385/pic/1292680869/view?picmode=&amp;mode=tn&amp;order=ordinal&amp;start=21&amp;count=20&amp;dir=asc

                  John

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Ladd wrote:

                  > Nice picture of the cascade Robert mentions here:
                  >
                  > http://wannabp.smugmug.com/John-Muir-Trail-August-15/JMT-Days-14-16-Muir-Trail/4568644_BZvjmh/269295917_zz8VmH7#!i=269295917&k=zz8VmH7
                  >
                  > On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Robert rnperky@... wrote:
                  >
                  > > **
                  > >

                  > > I meant SOBO. Too many years of going NOBO for me!
                  > >

                  > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" rnperky@ wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > It's more of a cascade than a fall, but still worth taking a VERY minor
                  > > off trail look at is Evolution Creek about a 1/4 - 1/2 mile below Evolution
                  > > Lake where it drops steeply into Evolution Valley. Going NOBO, you will
                  > > cross it after the steep climb is done out of Evolution Valley and veer
                  > > west to a spectacular view!

                  > > My group is going at a fairly leisurely pace, especially for the northern
                  > > half of the trail up until MTR. So I'm looking for some waterfalls to visit
                  > > off the JMT, because I love waterfalls (an unpopular opinion, I know).
                  > > Besides the obvious like Vernal, Nevada, and Rainbow Falls, what are some
                  > > of the waterfalls we could get to that our worth our while?

                • Robert
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 24, 2013
                    John D. , that's the one!! I love chilling out at that overlook. It is a mandatory rest stop for me every time!

                    > John that is actually Evolution Creek as it leaves Evolution Valley.
                    > This is a photo from the top of the cascades as it leaves Evolution
                    > Lake- pg 57 Walk the Sky!
                    > 1292680869/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=21&\
                    > count=20&dir=asc
                    > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/photos/album/1468624385/pic\
                    > /1292680869/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=21&count=20&dir=as\
                    > c>
                    > John
                    >
                    > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Ladd wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Nice picture of the cascade Robert mentions here:
                    > >

                    > http://wannabp.smugmug.com/John-Muir-Trail-August-15/JMT-Days-14-16-Muir\
                    > -Trail/4568644_BZvjmh/269295917_zz8VmH7#!i=269295917&k=zz8VmH7
                    > >
                    > > On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 2:34 PM, Robert rnperky@ wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > **
                    > > >

                    > > > I meant SOBO. Too many years of going NOBO for me!

                    > minor
                    > > > off trail look at is Evolution Creek about a 1/4 - 1/2 mile below
                    > Evolution
                    > > > Lake where it drops steeply into Evolution Valley. Going NOBO, you
                    > will
                    > > > cross it after the steep climb is done out of Evolution Valley and
                    > veer
                    > > > west to a spectacular view!

                    > August.
                    > > > My group is going at a fairly leisurely pace, especially for the
                    > northern
                    > > > half of the trail up until MTR. So I'm looking for some waterfalls
                    > to visit
                    > > > off the JMT, because I love waterfalls (an unpopular opinion, I
                    > know).
                    > > > Besides the obvious like Vernal, Nevada, and Rainbow Falls, what are
                    > some
                    > > > of the waterfalls we could get to that our worth our while?

                  • Don Amundson
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 24, 2013
                      This is a shot of the Evolution Lake outflow last year with less water and looking back towards the lake.  It's a bit of a sensory shock when you approach it.  As you go around the bend south of the JMT it was to me (with bad hearing) like someone suddenly turned on the sound switch.  Well worth a look.

                      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                      From: rnperky@...
                      Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 22:43:24 +0000
                      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: Waterfalls

                      John D. , that's the one!! I love chilling out at that overlook. It is a mandatory rest stop for me every time!

                      > John that is actually Evolution Creek as it leaves Evolution Valley.
                      > This is a photo from the top of the cascades as it leaves Evolution
                      > Lake- pg 57 Walk the Sky!
                      > 1292680869/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=21&\
                      > count=20&dir=asc
                      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/photos/album/1468624385/pic\
                      > /1292680869/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=21&count=20&dir=as\
                      > c>
                      > John

                    • Dittli-Goethals
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 24, 2013
                      • 1 Attachment
                      • 362 KB
                      This is later in the summer as well, I think my first one is from early June. Still nice even in low water.

                      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                      From: rnperky@...
                      Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 22:43:24 +0000

                      --
                      John Dittli/Leslie Goethals
                      John Dittli Photography

                      2010  IPPY Gold Medal Award Winner
                    • Don Amundson
                      Message 11 of 16 , May 24, 2013
                        No competing with you John!  Nice shot.  It looks like you may have placed yourself in a somewhat precarious position to get the angle.

                        Message 12 of 16 , May 24, 2013
                          Ha, thanks Don! I liked your shot as well and it reminded me that I had taken one looking up too! I seem to recall jumping on to some little, slimy, rock island to get that perspectine

                          John

                          -
                        • ravi_jmt2013
                          Message 13 of 16 , May 25, 2013
                            -- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndittli@...> wrote:

                            > John that is actually Evolution Creek as it leaves Evolution Valley.
                            > This is a photo from the top of the cascades as it leaves Evolution
                            > Lake- pg 57 Walk the Sky!

                            I'll get to see that location in mid July and early September ... I'll have to remember to take pictures to compare the water flow which I'm guessing will decrease quite a bit over 6-7 weeks.
                          • sbrapoport
                            Message 14 of 16 , Jun 10, 2013
                              Does anyone have info about the location of Garnet Lake Falls relative to the JMT? I ran across a little bit of information in a book on waterfalls but can't seem to find any good trail info. Thank you in advance.

                              Shana

                              > John D. , that's the one!! I love chilling out at that overlook. It is a mandatory rest stop for me every time!
                              >
                              > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndittli@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > John that is actually Evolution Creek as it leaves Evolution Valley.
                              > > This is a photo from the top of the cascades as it leaves Evolution
                              > > Lake- pg 57 Walk the Sky!
                              > > 1292680869/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=21&\
                              > > count=20&dir=asc
                              > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/photos/album/1468624385/pic\
                              > > /1292680869/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=21&count=20&dir=as\
                              > > c>
                              > > John
                              > >
                              > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, John Ladd wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Nice picture of the cascade Robert mentions here:
                              > > >

                              > > http://wannabp.smugmug.com/John-Muir-Trail-August-15/JMT-Days-14-16-Muir\
                              > > -Trail/4568644_BZvjmh/269295917_zz8VmH7#!i=269295917&k=zz8VmH7

                              > > minor
                              > > Evolution
                              > > will
                              > > veer

                              > > August.
                              > > northern
                              > > to visit
                              > > know).
                              > > some

                            • John
                              Message 15 of 16 , Jun 11, 2013
                                The falls out of Garnet Lake are on the outlet below the JMT. They are  difficult to access and view from that side of the canyon. Best viewed from the High Trail (PCT).

                                JD
                                Walk the Sky :Following the John Muir Trail

                                Message 16 of 16 , Jun 11, 2013
                                  I added it to the map, together with Nydiver Falls, possibly visible on the pretty sidetrip to Lake Ediza.

                                  For Garnet

                                  For Nydiver

                                  If people let me know of others, I'll continue to add them to the Google map of falls on/near the JMT

                                  John D: any comments about Nydiver?

                                  And am I right in assuming Garnet would be visible looking uo from River trail?