How difficult are Lyell Canyon permits to get these days

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2013
      during peak season (i.e., entering mid-July to mid-August))?

      If I don't get my requested date is a walk-up that difficult?

      By way of background, I'm contemplating a 2014 hike starting late July. Planning to day hike the YV to TM section and then take a zero day in TM before starting up Lyell the next day (I'll be with my family, so they'll drive my gear from YV to TM while I'm day hiking that section).

      I'm thinking that if I don't end up being able to reserve a permit in advance, I can simply pick up a walk-up on the morning of my zero day.

      In that regard, my most recent JMT was in 2007. Arrived off the YARTS bus from Mammoth mid-morning and had no trouble getting a walk-up to start the next day.

      Has it gotten harder since then?