Sleeping Bag Rating for a June 20th start?

  • Sterling D
    Message 1 of 8 , May 23, 2013
      What degree rating would you recommend for this year? Also, I won't be needing crampons or microspikes will I? I am hiking from Yosemite Valley south.

      Thanks
    • marcpalmer08
      Message 2 of 8 , May 23, 2013
        Heading out a few days after you (June 26)! Given the low snow year, I can't imagine we'll be dealing with any significant snow/ice by then, but monitor the forum a week before just in case.

        I'd recommend a 30 degree rated bag, and just make sure you have long underwear to sleep in in case that's not quite enough. I tried the JMT in early June, 2011 (very high snowpack year) with a 30 degree bag. Slept on eight feet of snow in ~25 degree temps, but still was warm enough inside the bag with a winter cap and long underwear.

        MP

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Sterling D <sterling98@...> wrote:

        > What degree rating would you recommend for this year? Also, I won't be
        > needing crampons or microspikes will I? I am hiking from Yosemite Valley
        > south.
        >
        > Thanks

      • Sterling D
        Message 3 of 8 , May 23, 2013
          I have the Western Mountaineering HighLite, rated to 35*. http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&ContentId=16

          Do you think that would be ok?

          Thanks

          --
          - Sterling
        • Robert
          Message 4 of 8 , May 23, 2013
            I sold my WM Highlight and bought thw WM Summerlight because I found the 35 degree rating pretty optimistic and had many cold nights with the Highlite with clothes on. For reference sake, I am moderate to warm sleeper. The Summerlight only ups the temp rating by a few degrees, but has really hit the 'sweet spot' for lightweight/warmth ratio for me. My two cents worth: if you are a warm sleeper and wear clothes to sleep in, you will probably be alright with the Highlite, but if you are a cold sleeper, I would think twice.

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Sterling D <sterling98@...> wrote:

            > I have the Western Mountaineering HighLite, rated to 35*.
            > http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&ContentId=16
            >
            > Do you think that would be ok?
            >
            > Thanks
            >

            > On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 9:48 PM, marcpalmer08 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Heading out a few days after you (June 26)! Given the low snow year, I
            > > can't imagine we'll be dealing with any significant snow/ice by then, but
            > > monitor the forum a week before just in case.
            > >
            > > I'd recommend a 30 degree rated bag, and just make sure you have long
            > > underwear to sleep in in case that's not quite enough. I tried the JMT in
            > > early June, 2011 (very high snowpack year) with a 30 degree bag. Slept on
            > > eight feet of snow in ~25 degree temps, but still was warm enough inside
            > > the bag with a winter cap and long underwear.
            > >
            > > MP
            > >

            > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Sterling D <sterling98@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > What degree rating would you recommend for this year? Also, I won't be
            > > > needing crampons or microspikes will I? I am hiking from Yosemite Valley
            > > > south.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks
            > > >

            > --
            > - Sterling

          • Barbara Karagosian
            Message 5 of 8 , May 23, 2013
              Well I'd recommend a 15 or 20 degree bag, but I sleep cold.  And it does also depend on what sort of pad you have as well.

              --
              - Sterling

              Message 6 of 8 , May 23, 2013
                Manufacturer temperature ratings are notoriously unsystematic. Recently, some manufacturers have started using "EN ratings" which are at least all tested the same way. As a rule of thumb, manufacturer ratings can be thought of as "I probably won't die at that temperature". while EN ratings are more like "I probably will be comfortable at that temperature". Looks like the bag at your link gives just a manufacturer rating.

                --
                - Sterling

              • jaymiche@ymail.com
                Message 7 of 8 , May 24, 2013
                  Each time is different, but I started at the same time last year which was also a low snow year. In 200 miles we hiked through 40 yards of snow at the most. I use a quilt which works well for me down to 20 degrees with some clothing.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Sterling D <sterling98@...> wrote:

                  > What degree rating would you recommend for this year? Also, I won't be
                  > needing crampons or microspikes will I? I am hiking from Yosemite Valley
                  > south.
                  >
                  > Thanks

                • brucelem12
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 24, 2013
                    I use a WM Hilite and have to wear most of my layers (down vest, very thin fleece, rain pants, and a hat to stay comfortable at about 32 degrees. This is with a silk liner, NeoAir pad, and inside a tent. I have a few more layers for slightly colder, (foil bivy, rain jacket), but even so expect eventually I'll run into a miserable night, so I may be following Robert's example sometime down the road, especially if I start hiking in the Sierras outside of July/Aug.

                    It also has been noted in past posts that wearing clothing layers in a bag is counterproductive due to the resultant tight fit/compression of the air entrapping/insulating layers of the down/etc., which makes perfect sense if the person fits their bag snugly without clothes, or layers are tight fitting, so bear that in mind. For myself...fitting my bag and layers loosely, clothing layers aid tremendously.
                    Bruce