Re: Early starters

  • k2poohtri
    Message 1 of 7 , May 23, 2013
      Thanks for the info. That is quite useful. 8 days and counting...
      Korina

      > I've been hitting the local Sierra backcountry a lot the last couple of
      > weeks. I just wanted to let folks that are thinking of starting in the
      > next week or so that there is still quite a lot of snow in the northern
      > JMT; like 70-80% ground coverage from 1000 Island lake to Donahue Pass.
      > FYI
      > JDWalk the Sky: Following the John MUir Trailsee book here
      > <http://www.johndittli.com>

    • Bill Heiser

        Message 3 of 7 , May 23, 2013
          Patchy below 10,000 north facing and in the woods, otherwise pretty snow free below that. Streams quite low for this time of year.

          JD

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Bill Heiser wrote:

          > Thanks for the info. IIRC most of that area is above 10K feet. How is the snow below that?
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On May 23, 2013, at 6:59 AM, "John" johndittli@... wrote:
          >
          > > I've been hitting the local Sierra backcountry a lot the last couple of weeks. I just wanted to let folks that are thinking of starting in the next week or so that there is still quite a lot of snow in the northern JMT; like 70-80% ground coverage from 1000 Island lake to Donahue Pass.
          > >

          > > FYI
          > >
          > > JD
          > > Walk the Sky: Following the John MUir Trail
          > > see book here

        • Ned Tibbits
          Message 4 of 7 , May 23, 2013
            John,

            What is the latitude on that snowline? Just want everyone to be aware that there is a deeper snowpack the more north you look, so the snowlines will be lower on the north end of the trail...

            Ned Tibbits, Director
            Mountain Education
            www.mountaineducation.org

            Patchy below 10,000 north facing and in the woods, otherwise pretty snow free below that. Streams quite low for this time of year.

            JD

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Bill Heiser wrote:

            > Thanks for the info. IIRC most of that area is above 10K
            feet. How is the snow below that?

            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On May 23, 2013, at 6:59 AM, "John" johndittli@... wrote:
            >
            > > I've been hitting the local Sierra backcountry a lot the last
            couple of weeks. I just wanted to let folks that are thinking of starting in the next week or so that there is still quite a lot of snow in the northern JMT; like 70-80% ground coverage from 1000 Island lake to Donahue Pass.

            > > FYI
            > >
            > > JD
            > > Walk
            the Sky: Following the John MUir Trail
            > > see book here

          • Bill Heiser
            Message 5 of 7 , May 23, 2013
              That's good to know, thanks!

              Sent from my iPhone

              On May 23, 2013, at 9:15 AM, "John" <johndittli@...> wrote:

              Patchy below 10,000 north facing and in the woods, otherwise pretty snow free below that. Streams quite low for this time of year.

              JD

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Bill Heiser wrote:

              > Thanks for the info. IIRC most of that area is above 10K feet. How is the snow below that?
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On May 23, 2013, at 6:59 AM, "John" johndittli@... wrote:
              >
              > > I've been hitting the local Sierra backcountry a lot the last couple of weeks. I just wanted to let folks that are thinking of starting in the next week or so that there is still quite a lot of snow in the northern JMT; like 70-80% ground coverage from 1000 Island lake to Donahue Pass.
              > >

              > > FYI
              > >
              > > JD
              > > Walk the Sky: Following the John MUir Trail
              > > see book here

            • John
              Message 6 of 7 , May 23, 2013
                I would say the northern 1/3 of the trail. I haven't been to the Silver Pass area but I bet it is close. At McGee Pass I ran into solid snow at 10,200 and 11,000 at Bishop Pass.

                JD
                see book here