Supplements

  • Darryl
    Message 1 of 12 , May 22, 2013
      Ravi mentioned in an earlier post that he takes Glucosamine. I took them for about six months but then stopped because I didn't know whether they were making a difference. I now take Tumeric concentrate (Curcumin 95) and it initially seemed to help, but now I'm not so sure if it still makes a difference. I also take Costco's Kirkland multi-vitamin pack, fish oil and vitamin D, every day, and I intend to keep doing so on the trail. I'm interested to know what your opinion and experience is with supplements. Thanks.
      Darryl
    • Bill Heiser
      Message 2 of 12 , May 22, 2013
        My opinion is that while on the trail one should continue to use whatever dietary supplements they normally use, if any.  Starting one/them while away from home, and possibly experiencing some unanticipated side effect, would be less than ideal ...

        It would be best to consult with a doctor though for an expert opinion.

        Darryl wrote:

        Ravi mentioned in an earlier post that he takes Glucosamine. I took them for about six months but then stopped because I didn't know whether they were making a difference. I now take Tumeric concentrate (Curcumin 95) and it initially seemed to help, but now I'm not so sure if it still makes a difference. I also take Costco's Kirkland multi-vitamin pack, fish oil and vitamin D, every day, and I intend to keep doing so on the trail. I'm interested to know what your opinion and experience is with supplements. Thanks.
        Darryl

      • woodyrtt
        Message 3 of 12 , May 23, 2013
          Darryl, I agree with Bill about not starting new supplements while on the trail. I have been taking glucosamine for several months and have not noticed any effect. With all the sun you will be getting on the JMT, you could probably leave the vitamin D home. Rod

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl" <dabrahms@...> wrote:

          > Ravi mentioned in an earlier post that he takes Glucosamine. I took them for about six months but then stopped because I didn't know whether they were making a difference. I now take Tumeric concentrate (Curcumin 95) and it initially seemed to help, but now I'm not so sure if it still makes a difference. I also take Costco's Kirkland multi-vitamin pack, fish oil and vitamin D, every day, and I intend to keep doing so on the trail. I'm interested to know what your opinion and experience is with supplements. Thanks.
          > Darryl

        • Joe MacLeish
          Message 4 of 12 , May 23, 2013

            Ravi:

            I took Glucosamine and Chondritin for years and didn't notice much effect either way.  I read the studies quoted in Wikipedia which say there is no conclusive date for effectiveness and stopped taking them and again noticed no effect.   My doc says you build up your cartilage by using it (up to a certain point) but you can damage it by over use (duh).

            Joe

            Darryl, I agree with Bill about not starting new supplements while on the trail. I have been taking glucosamine for several months and have not noticed any effect. With all the sun you will be getting on the JMT, you could probably leave the vitamin D home. Rod

            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl" <dabrahms@...> wrote:

            > Ravi mentioned in an earlier post that he takes Glucosamine. I took them for about six months but then stopped because I didn't know whether they were making a difference. I now take Tumeric concentrate (Curcumin 95) and it initially seemed to help, but now I'm not so sure if it still makes a difference. I also take Costco's Kirkland multi-vitamin pack, fish oil and vitamin D, every day, and I intend to keep doing so on the trail. I'm interested to know what your opinion and experience is with supplements. Thanks.
            > Darryl

          • ravi_jmt2013
            Message 5 of 12 , May 23, 2013
              It is definitely not simple to isolate the effects of a supplement to determine whether it is worth taking or not. When I first started taking glucosamine, I also changed some other variables breaking my normal rule of only changing one variable when hoping to measure effects. But I was pretty desperate at the time to see improvements and the changes, in total, carried me though my first marathon. After the requisite recovery period, I thought that I'd drop glucosamine and see what would happen ... well, a month later after ramping up mileage again, I started having knee issues. Then I restarted on the supplement, temporarily lowered mileage and the problems were gone within a few weeks. I was able to finishing training for a second marathon. This doesn't necessarily prove anything, of course, but I sure won't change anything prior to the JMT hike!

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "woodyrtt" <rod.tayler@...> wrote:

              > Darryl, I agree with Bill about not starting new supplements while on the trail. I have been taking glucosamine for several months and have not noticed any effect. With all the sun you will be getting on the JMT, you could probably leave the vitamin D home. Rod

            • Terry
              Message 6 of 12 , May 26, 2013
                The Glucosamine tablets I used to get from Costco are huge and I wouldn't want to carry all those on the trail. I'd replace those with Advil or something else with Naproxen in it for pain and anti-inflamatory results. I stopped taking glucosamine because it did nothing but your results may vary. My knees are so bad I have to wear braces on the trail. I have advanced osteoarthritis on both knees and zero cartilage in one. What's funny is on long trips after the first few days my knees stop hurting. My doctor tells me that is because the best thing for your knees if you have arthritis is to use them and all the walking actually helps.

                I wouldn't make any major changes before your trip. Just try to be in decent shape. Your muscles and feet will be in more pain than your joints so do your best to be in descent shape before your trip and be very kind and attentive to your feet. And definitely add some anti-inflamitories to your kit. I take prescription strength Naproxen in the am and pm. Swimming and soaking my feet along the way does wonders too, physically and mentally.

                --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl" <dabrahms@...> wrote:

                > Ravi mentioned in an earlier post that he takes Glucosamine. I took them for about six months but then stopped because I didn't know whether they were making a difference. I now take Tumeric concentrate (Curcumin 95) and it initially seemed to help, but now I'm not so sure if it still makes a difference. I also take Costco's Kirkland multi-vitamin pack, fish oil and vitamin D, every day, and I intend to keep doing so on the trail. I'm interested to know what your opinion and experience is with supplements. Thanks.
                > Darryl

              • dave.thofern
                Message 7 of 12 , May 26, 2013
                  Recent studies seem to show that glucosamine has no beneficial effect. However, if it works for you there doesn't seem to be much in the way of side effects.

                  By the way, Advil is a brand-name ibuprofen. I find that naproxen works better for me as an anti-inflammatory. Alleve is the major brand of naproxen but you can save money by purchasing a big-box brand such as WalMart or Target. Same goes for ibuprofen.

                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 26, 2013
                    I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis and have been giving myself weekly Enbrel shots for several years. As I won't have access to refrigeration on the trail, I will stop taking Enbrel during this period. I discussed this with my Rheumatologist and Dermatologist. The rheumatologist prescribed Prednisone in case I start to ache. I was going to try a dry run of Enbrel now to see whether there would be any effects of going off it, but my dermatologist said that it stays in my system for several weeks, so I should continue using it until I go on the JMT in mid-August.
                    I am cautious about taking Advil frequently because after doing a half marathon a couple of years ago, I had blood in my stool from over-use. My go-to painkiller is Tylenol because it is not as harsh on my system.

                    Darryl

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl" <dabrahms@...> wrote:

                    > Ravi mentioned in an earlier post that he takes Glucosamine. I took them for about six months but then stopped because I didn't know whether they were making a difference. I now take Tumeric concentrate (Curcumin 95) and it initially seemed to help, but now I'm not so sure if it still makes a difference. I also take Costco's Kirkland multi-vitamin pack, fish oil and vitamin D, every day, and I intend to keep doing so on the trail. I'm interested to know what your opinion and experience is with supplements. Thanks.
                    > Darryl

                  • Deborah Rhoton
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 27, 2013
                      Darryl,

                      Nice to meet you! I too have Psoriatic Arthritis.  I have been on Enbrel a number of years myself and faced the same concerns on my hike last year. I had a dose on the day I left and a dose the day I got back. I did not worry about missing doses while on the trail but medicated with Arthritis strength Tylenol as needed. You may be able to get a prescription strength anti-inflammatory from your rheumatologist such as Diclofinac or Feldene if you think you may need something stronger. These medications however don't work as quickly as the Tylenol, in my opinion.  I did not seem to have any issues arise from arthritic pain in my joints. Just the usual OMG I just hiked 12 mi and over a 12,000 ft pass kind of pain. :-) I would be a little concerned with taking prednisone as it can weaken your immune system as well. I prefer to have as strong an immune system as possible while out in the back country. I should say however, I am not a rheumatologist but I am a Registered Nurse. With that...always consult with your physician first.
                      Best wishes for a happy and pain free hike!

                      Deb

                      Sent from my iPad

                      On May 26, 2013, at 11:03 PM, "Darryl" <dabrahms@...> wrote:

                      I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis and have been giving myself weekly Enbrel shots for several years. As I won't have access to refrigeration on the trail, I will stop taking Enbrel during this period. I discussed this with my Rheumatologist and Dermatologist. The rheumatologist prescribed Prednisone in case I start to ache. I was going to try a dry run of Enbrel now to see whether there would be any effects of going off it, but my dermatologist said that it stays in my system for several weeks, so I should continue using it until I go on the JMT in mid-August.
                      I am cautious about taking Advil frequently because after doing a half marathon a couple of years ago, I had blood in my stool from over-use. My go-to painkiller is Tylenol because it is not as harsh on my system.

                      Darryl

                      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl" <dabrahms@...> wrote:

                      > Ravi mentioned in an earlier post that he takes Glucosamine. I took them for about six months but then stopped because I didn't know whether they were making a difference. I now take Tumeric concentrate (Curcumin 95) and it initially seemed to help, but now I'm not so sure if it still makes a difference. I also take Costco's Kirkland multi-vitamin pack, fish oil and vitamin D, every day, and I intend to keep doing so on the trail. I'm interested to know what your opinion and experience is with supplements. Thanks.
                      > Darryl

                    • Byron
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 1, 2013
                        Vitamins are one of the greatest marketing scams in history. Proven in countless studies to be useless. Actually, a little bit worse than not taking vitamins. Nevertheless 150,000,000 people pour money into these placebos in the US.

                        http://www.wellsource.com/articles-mhc/Do-Multivitamins-Make-You-Healthier.html

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl" <dabrahms@...> wrote:

                        > Ravi mentioned in an earlier post that he takes Glucosamine. I took them for about six months but then stopped because I didn't know whether they were making a difference. I now take Tumeric concentrate (Curcumin 95) and it initially seemed to help, but now I'm not so sure if it still makes a difference. I also take Costco's Kirkland multi-vitamin pack, fish oil and vitamin D, every day, and I intend to keep doing so on the trail. I'm interested to know what your opinion and experience is with supplements. Thanks.
                        > Darryl

                      • Byron
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 1, 2013
                          Here's what's interesting, and ironic, about 21st century thinking. Finally after thousands of years of medical nonsense and trial and error we have REAL medicine. It's amazing! Destroyed your knee? No problem - get a fake knee put in. Heart arteries all clogged up? No sweat, we'll just stop your heart for a couple hours and fix it all up. Vicious deadly infection, don't worry we have magic pills. High blood pressure? Take these pills. Don't want 90% of your children to die of Small Pox, Diptheria, Rubella, Mumps, Cholera, etc., etc., etc., etc. also no problem -- here take this one shot and they won't die from those diseases.

                          The irony is that we still don't believe the practioners of these miracles! What? The Orthopedic surgeons say that Glucosamine is useless and not to take it? What do they know? I'm taking it just in case! Vitamins are proven to be useless? I'm in!

                          I for one will ignore the self-serving braying of the marketeers and listen to the doctors and scientists.

                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Rhoton <deborahrhoton@...> wrote:

                          > Darryl,
                          >
                          > Nice to meet you! I too have Psoriatic Arthritis. I have been on Enbrel a number of years myself and faced the same concerns on my hike last year. I had a dose on the day I left and a dose the day I got back. I did not worry about missing doses while on the trail but medicated with Arthritis strength Tylenol as needed. You may be able to get a prescription strength anti-inflammatory from your rheumatologist such as Diclofinac or Feldene if you think you may need something stronger. These medications however don't work as quickly as the Tylenol, in my opinion. I did not seem to have any issues arise from arthritic pain in my joints. Just the usual OMG I just hiked 12 mi and over a 12,000 ft pass kind of pain. :-) I would be a little concerned with taking prednisone as it can weaken your immune system as well. I prefer to have as strong an immune system as possible while out in the back country. I should say however, I am not a rheumatologist but I am a Registered Nurse. With that...always consult with your physician first.
                          > Best wishes for a happy and pain free hike!
                          >
                          > Deb
                          >
                          > Sent from my iPad
                          >
                          > On May 26, 2013, at 11:03 PM, "Darryl" <dabrahms@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis and have been giving myself weekly Enbrel shots for several years. As I won't have access to refrigeration on the trail, I will stop taking Enbrel during this period. I discussed this with my Rheumatologist and Dermatologist. The rheumatologist prescribed Prednisone in case I start to ache. I was going to try a dry run of Enbrel now to see whether there would be any effects of going off it, but my dermatologist said that it stays in my system for several weeks, so I should continue using it until I go on the JMT in mid-August.
                          > > I am cautious about taking Advil frequently because after doing a half marathon a couple of years ago, I had blood in my stool from over-use. My go-to painkiller is Tylenol because it is not as harsh on my system.
                          > >
                          > > Darryl
                          > >
                          > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl" <dabrahms@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Ravi mentioned in an earlier post that he takes Glucosamine. I took them for about six months but then stopped because I didn't know whether they were making a difference. I now take Tumeric concentrate (Curcumin 95) and it initially seemed to help, but now I'm not so sure if it still makes a difference. I also take Costco's Kirkland multi-vitamin pack, fish oil and vitamin D, every day, and I intend to keep doing so on the trail. I'm interested to know what your opinion and experience is with supplements. Thanks.
                          > > > Darryl

                        • Barbara Karagosian
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 1, 2013
                            hear, hear!  Byron.