Re: Lose the pole straps [Was "Clouds Rest junction"]

  • John
    Message 1 of 37 , May 22, 2013
      Straps are dangerous. I virtually never use them skiing. However, I have seen more than one person drop there pole down an icy slope then put themselves in more risk trying to retrieve it. I do believe the straps serve a purpose in those rare situations where a dropped pole is a lost pole.

      As far as nibbling, they seem to like the texture of the grips as much as the straps. It's my grips that have been chewed.

      John
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sanfran_rwood" wrote:

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin roleigh@ wrote:
      > >
      > > John, a lot of the tarp tents use the tip of the pole to
      > > hold up the tent so the grip is on the ground. This is
      > > more the norm than the exception.
      >
      > And the Tarptent Rainbow has the poles lying on the ground, making the short sides of the rectangle rigid.
      >
      > But there's an easy solution to keeping varmints from nibbling on pole straps: lose the straps.
      >
      > Seriously â€" it took a fall with a nasty bruise for me to realize that strapping a meter-long stick to one's wrist can sometimes be quite insane. I planted a pole and then stepped on a loose rock and stumbled, but the instinct to catch myself was prevented from having that darn pole. Fell across the pole (bending it) and got a huge bruise across one thigh.
      >
      > Luckily I was in a meadow that just happened to have a lot of smooth river rocks. The next time I was walking along a ridgeline with sharp boulders all around me I realized that same accident could easily be much nastier, so I started taking the straps off.
      >
      > Eventually I realized the only time the straps were really handy was when climbing, but my grip is strong enough that I didn't ever really need them. So I took them off and DIY'd one into a camera monopole with a plastic bolt and a lot of hot glue.
      >
      > Seriously: lose the pole strap.
      > --
      > Richard

    • Bill Cathey
      Message 37 of 37 , May 26, 2013
        I was using my boots as part of my pillow system this past week when a porcupine chewed on my pack. Maybe I should be glad it got to my pack first ;o)

        Although I'd love to see a porcupine. They're really cool animals.

        bill

        On May 22, 2013, at 10:06 AM, Dittli-Goethals <johndittli@...> wrote:

        My ski poles still have nibble marks on the handles from some rodent somewhere. I think they will only go after the grips, so if supporting a tent, they might have a hard time shinnying up the shaft. As well over the years among many other minor gnawings: I've had a ball cap eaten (they left the plastic bill), a washed and drying bandana chewed, boots gnawed by a Porcupine (fortunately I was using them as a pillow at the time, an exciting awakening!), and my favorite; my bivy sack with sleeping bag, pulled ~100' from camp and partially down a Marmot hole.

        JD