Fwd: [John Muir Trail] Re: Clouds Rest junction

  • Erica
    Message 1 of 7 , May 22, 2013
      This actually made me think a little - my husband has been in the car business forever, and when customers have issues with rats or mice in their cars they use Bounce dryer sheets to get rid of them (only the Bounce brand works...). So, maybe there's something to play around with here? Tying them to packs or pole handles at night?

      Just a thought!

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, jyeider <jyeider@...> wrote:

      > Wash the salt of your gear.
      > Tabasco sauce sends rodents running.
      > Jeff
    • John
      Message 2 of 7 , May 22, 2013
        Thanks for that Erica! I'm going to try that. I've got a squirrel living in my car as we speak!

        John
        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Erica" wrote:

        > This actually made me think a little - my husband has been in the car business forever, and when customers have issues with rats or mice in their cars they use Bounce dryer sheets to get rid of them (only the Bounce brand works...). So, maybe there's something to play around with here? Tying them to packs or pole handles at night?
        >
        > Just a thought!
        >
        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, jyeider jyeider@ wrote:
        > >
        > > Wash the salt of your gear.
        > > Tabasco sauce sends rodents running.
        > > Jeff

      • robert shattuck
        Message 3 of 7 , May 22, 2013
          "More of an issue than it really is ..."

          Yep, we're all speaking from experience and mine has always been that you are more likely to be severely attacked by the rangers than rodents---especially in the first few miles up and out of valley.

          If you stop at any of the falls and leave your pack unattended, first come the critters, then the rangers, telling you to pay attention.

          As for your poles, while out on the trail, I have left them all over the place while in camp -- on the ground, leaning against the tent and then sometimes, just under it---I'm not too worried about something chewing on my trekking poles, but I do pay attention to my pack---it stays in the tent with me.

          And not to repeat it, but don't ever get the bright idea to store your canister in your backpack for the night. Bad idea.

          Also, if you tend to get out your tent at night and not move too far from it when you gotta pee, well....don't be surprised if you've got something rustling around your camp, looking for your "salt shaker"

          Bob

          Sent somewhere, I guess

          On May 22, 2013, at 5:05 PM, "John" <johndittli@...> wrote:

          I think we are making more of an issue of it than it really is. Most thru hikers don't leave there gear unattended for long. In a few spots along the JMT you may encounter some bold rodents that will keep you awake at night, but for the most part gear gets chewed when left un-attended.

          JD

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, jyeider wrote:

          > Wash the salt of your gear.
          > Tabasco sauce sends rodents running.
          > Jeff
          >

          > Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ III, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

        • Bill Heiser
          Message 4 of 7 , May 22, 2013
            So while we're on the topic of leaving things out overnight ... what do you all typically do with your liquid or canister fuel stove overnight?  Do you leave it assembled and out?  do you fold it up and put it in the pack?

            I've tended to put mine in the pack (especially the liquid fuel stove with plastic bits a rodent might chew) ... and a swat with the paw of a curious bear would probably destroy it.  But have any of you actually seen or heard of this happening?

            Message 5 of 7 , May 22, 2013
              Ha! Well, hopefully it helps - if it doesn't, just keep it as a pet!

              Erica