Re: Current snow level/mosquito issues in SEKI

  • ptoddf
    Message 1 of 4 , May 20, 2013
      No trail report for you, but will repeat the obvious in case you by chance aren't up on it: take a mosquito head net that will fit over your hat or bill cap. This is a life saver. Natch take repellent. Those little spray or pump cans go a really long way when you're using one primarily on your hands and wrists because you have a head net.

      I like to spray all my outer gear with permethrin spray, including socks, head netting and shelter netting. It repels disease carrying ticks later season, but also reduces mosquito buzzing at nets. They hate it.

      You sound like a real enthusiast! You will be (as you know) hiking in one of the most outstanding outdoor art museums in the world.
    • jaymiche@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 21, 2013
        You might try highsierratopix.com for trip reports under the Backpacking/Hiking/Camping section.

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "trixhiker" <tiffhiker@...> wrote:

        > I'm planning a semi-solo JMT hike (1 week with a friend, 1 week with the boyfriend, and 1-2 weeks solo) for July-August. In preparation, I've been trying to bust out a 3-day trip each month and am pretty excited to hit the Sierras this weekend. I've got my permits for the Mineral King area in SEKI but am wondering if anyone's been up there yet. I don't believe the area technically opens until this weekend, but there are obviously ways to get there from other trailheads. When I spoke to the ranger before booking my trip a few weeks ago, there was little trail info regarding snow levels she could give me.
        >
        > So...has anyone been in that area yet this year? If so, what was/is the snow like in the passes (e.g., Franklin Pass) and the lakes below? Most importantly, how are the mosquitoes (deciding on what tent to take this weekend - 3 man with mosquito-avoidance room or 2-man with lighter weight).
        >
        > Any info would be greatly appreciated!
        > Tiffani

      • casey
        Message 3 of 4 , May 21, 2013
          I just returned from a trip over Dorothy Pass, 9,500+ feet. It's the pass at the northern border of Yosemite on the PCT. Started at Leavitt Meadows on Highway 108 went over the pass and exited at Hetch Hetchy Dam. A start on Thursday afternoon was forestalled by fresh snow falling at 9,000 feet. Started on Friday and topped the pass Saturday afternoon. We were the first ones over the pass this year.

          This is a very wide, open, east to west facing pass with lakes less than 100 feet below on the east and 200 feet lower on the west. Both are still completely frozen. Approaching from the east the trail was difficult to follow above 9,000 ft. and completely obscured above 9,200 ft. The pass had about four feet of snow. On the west side the trail was covered all the way to 9,000 feet and only occasionally seen until about 8,500 ft. We were still going over drifts of 3 feet all the way to almost 8,000 feet at Wilma Lake.

          The snow was very compacted and easy to traverse early in the day. Later in the day and at the lower edge of the snowline travel wasn't quite as pleasant. This pass is quite a ways north of where you will be, hope the info. helps. Do believe it would similar conditions in the Toulumne Mdws. area and just south of there.