Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Clouds Rest junction

  • Bill Heiser
    Message 1 of 37 , May 20, 2013
      Taking the pack with you seems prudent since there are reports of bears grabbing packs and running off with them.  That leaves me wondering, though ... how can one safely store their pack even in camp in the Yosemite backcountry, not to mention leaving it at a trail junction?  The obvious answer would be "never leave it unattended".  So that would mean carrying it with you when you leave your campsite to get water, dig a cathole, etc.  Seriously?  The obvious answer would be to make sure someone stays in camp to watch the pack(s).  But what about at night while you're sleeping?  The advice is also to not bring it into the tent, so ... seems like a no-win situation.

      I'm curious what others do to mitigate this risk ... obviously a bear stealing a pack would be bring the trip to a screeching halt ...

      Robert wrote:

      It is an easy backtrack from Clouds Rest Jct to the Jct for Half Dome. I wouldn't put my pack inside your tent as that area is well known for bears, ( I have seen them in that area twice now ), and they like to sniff packs occasionally. I have also seen the remnants of two packs that someone left behind at the Half Dome Jct as well, so I wouldn't advise that either. Your bear canisters will be fine back at camp, IMO. Set up your tent, mattress, sleeping bag and your bear can at camp and take your now MUCH lighter pack with you to Half Dome.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "kblovold" <kblovold@...> wrote:

      > We are planning on hiking half dome after spending our first night at Clouds Rest Junction. Our plan is to head up early in the morning and to leave our tent setup with our backpacks inside until we return from half dome mid day. What do we do with our bear canisters while we are at half dome? Can we assume that our belongings are safe to leave while we are away?

    • Bill Cathey
      Message 37 of 37 , May 26, 2013
        I was using my boots as part of my pillow system this past week when a porcupine chewed on my pack. Maybe I should be glad it got to my pack first ;o)

        Although I'd love to see a porcupine. They're really cool animals.

        bill

        On May 22, 2013, at 10:06 AM, Dittli-Goethals <johndittli@...> wrote:

        My ski poles still have nibble marks on the handles from some rodent somewhere. I think they will only go after the grips, so if supporting a tent, they might have a hard time shinnying up the shaft. As well over the years among many other minor gnawings: I've had a ball cap eaten (they left the plastic bill), a washed and drying bandana chewed, boots gnawed by a Porcupine (fortunately I was using them as a pillow at the time, an exciting awakening!), and my favorite; my bivy sack with sleeping bag, pulled ~100' from camp and partially down a Marmot hole.

        JD