Re: Clouds Rest junction

  • ptoddf
    Message 1 of 37 , May 20, 2013
      Did this easy trail hike few years ago. Went in at Tenaya Lk, only permits left that day, camped just over CR peak and did cables a.m. No problem concealing pack and bear can in rocks south of cables. Get there very early! I was on top in half hour it was glorious. Took 2 hrs to get down cables due to later arriving Yosemite hordes. Maybe permits now will help. Doubt it. People stop and rest for 20 mins at a time on way up. Be warned, be patient. And don't need gloves, cables smooth from decades of use. Later, suggest you look over falls down to Yosemite and then hike to gorgeous Merced Lake and the amazing cascades on way. Few go there even in season! A real highlight IMO.

      Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Express™, an AT&T LTE smartphone
    • Bill Cathey
      Message 37 of 37 , May 26, 2013
        I was using my boots as part of my pillow system this past week when a porcupine chewed on my pack. Maybe I should be glad it got to my pack first ;o)

        Although I'd love to see a porcupine. They're really cool animals.

        bill

        On May 22, 2013, at 10:06 AM, Dittli-Goethals <johndittli@...> wrote:

        My ski poles still have nibble marks on the handles from some rodent somewhere. I think they will only go after the grips, so if supporting a tent, they might have a hard time shinnying up the shaft. As well over the years among many other minor gnawings: I've had a ball cap eaten (they left the plastic bill), a washed and drying bandana chewed, boots gnawed by a Porcupine (fortunately I was using them as a pillow at the time, an exciting awakening!), and my favorite; my bivy sack with sleeping bag, pulled ~100' from camp and partially down a Marmot hole.

        JD