Scavenging at MTR

  • Marna
    Message 1 of 4 , May 20, 2013
      Hi All,
      I'm doing the second half (N->S) of the JMT this summer from Lake Italy. I'm going to resupply at MTR and Onion Valley. I use a SnowPeak stove (had it for years and it works great). I get 5 days use out of a regular size gas canister, and I am planning 7 days between MTR and OV, which leads to my question: rather than have a large gas canister in my MTR resupply, I'm wondering about the availability of partially used canisters left at MTR? I will be there in late August, and I'm expecting there will be lots of stuff there, unless it gets cleared regularly by the hosts. It would be nice to use up a partial canister rather than tote around a big one, plus it would keep me "in sync" for the last section, in terms of fuel.

      It would be interesting to hear from the repeat hikers what other goodies might I scavenge at MTR, other than fuel?
      Marna
    • Adam .

        Message 3 of 4 , May 20, 2013
          Never used the MTR but I once stopped in at a ranger station and resupplied with a big feast that my then teen sons still talk about 15 yrs later. Did Whitney the next day our 28th day on the trail. Total potluck of course.
          Even had real cheese from WI.

          I also bought unwanted meal once from a Scout group finishing up. Of course it consisted of everything they didn't like. Like vegetables FD. And rice. Pretty good. They wanted to give it away but I insisted they accept a donation to the troop.

          Don't be surprised if your usual 5 day cannister lasts all 7. Just the thought that it might run low tends to limit use.

          Good journey!
          Steve Y
          Geneva IL